Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Firewall in a very bad way - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Firewall in a very bad way

ChrisShaw

Hi All,

First post on the forum.

I did a search but couldn’t find anything specific. I bought an Esprit from a scrappy and it’s not in the best shape. Having had its roof removed and left out the plywood firewall has gone beyond a bit of delamination. I’m going to replace it with something and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Plywood seems to be what everyone says in other threads, but I’m wondering how I can upgrade from plywood. Was thinking a composite and either nomex or aluminium sandwich instead.

Anyone done anything this severe?

IMG_2975.jpeg

All of the above (with the exception of access panels, I hadn’t considered that) but mostly improved resistance to damage from water. As much as I love wood I’ve had mishaps with it getting wet before and would prefer not to use it outside if I can avoid it.

I think you might be right. Regarding sound-deadening I could get two pieces of ply, half the thickness and join them with a sound-deadening paint. There is a video on YouTube called the world’s second best speakers and he uses it to stick the various sheets together.

Ref the noise deadening, if you’re planning on using a non-standard exhaust, be prepared to be disappointed. Any gains in noise loss are likely to be lost in that case. I can honestly say I never noticed any difference after covering the bulkhead with the lead-lined Noise Killer mat. Given the proximity of the engine to the lugholes, it’s extremely difficult to quieten without major surgery. An air gap might help, but I keep coming back to replacing the original with marine ply. Unless anyone else here has had any measurable success with other methods?

Margate Exotics.

8 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Given the proximity of the engine to the lugholes, it’s extremely difficult to quieten without major surgery. 

Ian, not sure it would be worth doing that to your ears..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had an access panel. So much. But removing everything from the cockpit seems like it would take as much time as it would for me to just yank the engine again. To tighten one freaking bolt.

Modified tools. Blood. Cursing. Never buying a car with the engine in the middle.

Edited by Loc-Nar