Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What is the most ridiculous thing someone has said about your car? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What is the most ridiculous thing someone has said about your car?

Chemical7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my colleagues came to my desk today and saw my desktop background (same as in the avatar)

'Oh nice Furrari!' I replied: 'No, it's a Lamborghini'

...I usually park the Esprit in front of his window... :whistle:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

One of my all time favorite, as I was pulling up to a gas (petrol) pump:

"You're on the wrong side!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father and young son (5 or 6) walking past the red S1:

Son: "What kind of car is that Daddy?"

Father: "That's a LAMBADINI!" [sic]

:whistle:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also once had someone insist it was a kit car. Paraphrased:

Him: "What is that supposed to be, a Pantera?"

Me: (smiling) "It is a Lotus Esprit."

Him: "What is that on, a VW?"

Me: (still smiling) "No, it's not a kit car; It is a real Lotus Esprit."

Him: "Oh, a Fiero then?"

Me: "Okay, it's a kit car." (half laughing, half sighing, shaking my head)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

.....kids nowadays, if it doesnt look like it starred in fast & furious, they dont care.

at the track:"is this a Lotus?didnt now that they where faster than the Supra and Skyline"

YE its a Lotus and its way faster.( I did lap a higly promoted 1000bhp Supra) LOL....

Worst thing was the day I got it home and a bloke sayd: Have you bought a replica of a Lotus.....

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

I took the Esprit to a local classic car meeting over the weekend, arrived at the gates to pay, 'Are you with the Porsche club?' - No, it's a Lotus.

What did make me smile though, a couple of weeks ago I took the car to work. On the way home driving through Winchester, a little girl, she must have only been 6 shouted at the top of her voice...'A Lamboghini Diablo!' - bless her.

• 3 years later...

At a filling station in North Carolina, the cashier, amazed at low the car was, asked me, "Did you drive here in that?" Did she think I had pushed it to her petrol station miles out of town?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Not knowing teh Esprit was my car, i over heard a guy ("car buff" apparently :wallbash: ) saying to his friend.....

"Did you notice that TR7 out in the car park again?"

Friend....."Yeah,you dont see many of those about these days do you!"

Guest surferphil

Not stupid but naively sweet, A 12 year old girl looked at my car and asked her child minder, "is that somebody's car?"

A boy asked me "is that the one that turns into a submarine?" I said "yes" he requested "can I see it turn into a submarine" I replied "It's best not to, I haven't found the button to turn it back"

A friend asked "does it go under water?" I said "yes, but it doesn't come back up"

Most people love it or ignore it. which is good. Not had a bad word said about it. But there is always "you know what Lotus stands for..."

I had a collegue say about my M100 Elan "not reliable though" I said "yes, it is" he said "well it's not like its Japanese" I said "yes, it is". He said in a shitty way "What!?" I replied "It has an Isuzu engine" He went quiet. :)

Funny about the submarine thing...I like to ask people, "would YOU want to be in a submarine with a Lucas electrical system???"

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Must be an american thing! I too, like Paul, had a guy ask me, laughing mind you, "is that a kit car" to which I responded about his Chevy silverado "is that a kit truck?" He spit some snuff on the ground and looked at the car again, then got back in his truck without saying another word. If you are going to ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer.....Or stupid question in return!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• Gold FFM

Was dropping my son off at the races and a punter walked past and said 'Is that a real one or a plastic fantastic?'

To which I said, (obviously) 'Yep it's a real one and yep it's made of plastic.' I think he's still confused. :unsure:

Driving through the shops with my son and we overheard a girl walking with her boyfriend say 'Wow look at that! What is it?'

Now, mind you, they were at the front of the car and he says' It's a Lamborghini'. My son just rolled his eyes. :rolleyes:

I dropped my daughter off at school one day and some smart arse said to her 'I wouldn't own a Lotus. They're not that good.'

Alicia said 'Fine. Don't buy one then.' :thumbsup:

4 young blokes in an older Holden Commodore (3.5 ltr V6) 'Want a drag?' :lol:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I wasn't used to it- I'd only driven the car 3 miles from Sparky on the way home

the first time I'd driven it -pulled into a garage station, payed, came back and

this American guy starting shouting 'hey, it the James Bond car right, holy shit,

the Lotus Esprit, wooooh. People started to gather around, thinking wrongly that

I was famous or something. I can't imagine the reaction if I'd had a white S1!

I went to lunch one day with a co-worker who had a Carmen Ghia and the valet asked if it was a VW Gonorrhea.

Also, a few weeks ago I was putting fuel in my Turbo and two huge body-guard type black dudes in a tricked out Cadillac Escalade with spinning rims pull up, roll down the window, and one yells, "Yeah! Back to the Future, motherf____r!!!"

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

The day I bought my Esprit in Tennessee, I was driving through a torrential downpour near Memphis and the windshield wiper broke.

My friend and I stopped at a gas station with a "garage" and after seeing what was broken I asked my friend (a vegetarian) to go to the "garage" and see if he could borrow some washers to prop up the wiper ball joint.

He came back kinda pale and said it was like the movie "Deliverance" in there... Dark and scary, dead animals hanging on the walls...

Soon after, this huge guy wearing overalls and no shirt walks over and lays down on the hood of the lotus (weighed at least 350lbs).

In a high pitched voice with a deep south accent he says "What seems to be the problem here?" And then he says "It ain't got but one wipah?"

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I went to a job in the van , around 150 miles round trip and on the way seen lots of classic vehicles on a rally. I mentioned this at my destination and the guy in the stores shouts to his colleague who "has a classic car" i said i had one too.

the colleague asks what i have

me "79 lotus esprit s2"

storeman "ha...a lotus, lots of trouble......etc"

me "what you got?"

him (with pride and puffed out chest) "ford capri"

me "a ford?, fairly ordinary ,rather dull"

exit the storeman mumbling to himself

Guest surferphil

I went to lunch one day with a co-worker who had a Carmen Ghia and the valet asked if it was a VW Gonorrhea.

Also, a few weeks ago I was putting fuel in my Turbo and two huge body-guard type black dudes in a tricked out Cadillac Escalade with spinning rims pull up, roll down the window, and one yells, "Yeah! Back to the Future, motherf____r!!!"

You should have said "are you on crack or is it just your car?"

I'll never forget we were in a rather nice country golf club one time and left the misses to settle the bill (great boyfriend I know but she done the poaper work becuase she got gzillions off the room from her company...)...anyways I went to pick up the car and pulled round to a rather nice lobby area where there were toff shaped golfers wearing all that silly shit they do, hanging around and they clock the car....

"whats that ?"

"looks nice"

"its just a dumb kit car..."

....right as my misses walks out of the doors......she turns and says "ITS A LOTUS...ACTUALLY" she declares in that over stated angry voice only a woman can make :lol:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

LOL, I've actually used the matchstick analogy once :lol:

Nothing people say annoys me really, I dunno why people get irrate about stuff.

One of the best ones was when my red car used to be called a Ferrari or "cant afford a ferrari" - I did stop and question someone when they said that and told them I nearly bought a 308 but this is much faster and better value for money.

It just makes me laugh when people come up with the stupidest of comments thinking that its the ultimate insult - then you dont react in the way they expect you to :D

Once we were following a GT40 home and his water pump let go and it lost coolant everywhere - eventually we gathered enough speed to catch up (he thought we were trying to race LOL - im like FFS SLOW DOWN) and let the guy know.

Pulled into a petrol station to get it recovered and the attendant comes out (seeing a Cobra, Esprit and GT40 on the forecourt) and says "do you need anything ?.....apart from a match to burn them"

That was the closest thing I have ever come to dying of laughter - it pained me to think that the guy probably had bred, and shooting him wouldn't have solved anything.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

You should have said "are you on crack or is it just your car?"

If I'd said that they either would have busted out laughing and then pulled some Glocks and capped me, or just gone straight to the Glocks. Either way, I think my car would have had some new red accents.

What I probably should have done is ask if they'd protect me while driving past a Ferrari club meeting and hurling insults with a bullhorn. Or whatever would be the funniest on video.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• 4 weeks later...

Bought my 1997 Azure Blue Esprit two weeks ago in TN and have herd so far:

1. Is that a ferrari?

2. That is a nice Lambo

3. Holly Shit a Fiaro kit car that looks like a _________ing porsche 993

4. Very excited man hugh 340lbs coming at me fast across gas pump at fill up.Congratulations!!!!!! You own a last of the real lotus's and a very nice real lotus with a lotus engine!!!!

5.I have a hennassey Viper at home that will smoke that brit junk!!!!

6.The most asked question at my home from my 21 year old daughter 19 year old daughter and 17 year old son " CAN I TAKE THE LOTUS TO ________ JUST FOR TODAY / NIGHT AND I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT!!!!! The answer to wich is always.......when you are my age you can buy one of your own.

7.Is that one of those fast and the fury cars???

I am sure to hear more in the future but thats the lot for now...LOL