Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Suggestion pt.6... - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Suggestion pt.6...

Jonathan

Hooning around last night (as you do) I was mindful of a few things such as unions between cambers of roundabouts and access roads (yo know the mini ramps they build into road ways) and thought crossed me I still haven't had this car in any kinda of trouble yet.

The Elise I had was hilarious but the Esprit I kinda treat with more respect as I know what happens when they go tits up.

Wondered if anyone has any joint thoughts on a vehicle control day much like the one LEW done a few years or so ago. I did ask the local plod to rent us out the skid pan but they are more interested in showing pikeys and criminal around it for a good day than law obiding citizens who actually want to learn something (political correctness gone mad !) - morons.

I do test the car here and there (e-stops and so on to ensure the braking capacity is there) but on the queens highways it's a bit dodgy.

But I've never done over and understeer / skid control in the Esprit (Elise was a daily occurance !).

Anyone have any ideas ona group event - was thinking about a booking at north weald / Walshy day but much more fun if there are more Lotus heads about.

Esp. convenient as winter is approaching.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too from the Elise guys - group booking ?

TBH I'd rahter share a day like that with my mates instead of a load of other cars I'm not really interested in (nee offence).

Track days are a must too.

Went on one of those days recently, thanks to Barry (Bazza 907) mentioning it.

Great day, but.....

There were 3 Esprits there, the Elises and derivatives looked great, the 340 looking like it was on rails.

All 3 Esprits (one a 350 sport) found it was like trying to drive an old 911, where the back end gets fed-up and wants to overtake the front no-end.

Some of that is just the size of the course. I did consider venturing to the slalom, but didn't in the end. The 2 courses were quite short, one needing no more than 2nd gear at any point, the other needing 3rd for 2 parts of it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great day, but more suited to the Elise platform, lighter, less powerful, more agile cars.

One or two of those Elise drivers were mentioning the Snetterton track event, and how it didn't suit their cars due to long runs etc. which just ties in with the whole, an event to suit a certain type of car thing.

What might be an idea is if a few of us arranged a Walshy day, but aimed at Esprits, and in partiuclar, how to control the oversteer aspects, rather than how to get round a race circuit quickly (real life driving that may save a life).

The whole event was only

track days are defininately a must and a N Weald day would be super duper. Especially if all Esprits were there. I have done Silverstone a few times and Bedford/Llandow and its quite good getting the Esprits back end out, quite controllable, albeit at quite frightening speeds. post up if anything is organised, I'm up for it.

Also, if you think about it a winter day would be good because the speeds at which the back end steps out are less and therefor less likely to stoof the car in! Raining would be ideal too as it saves the tyres.

Edited by DBredS4

I did look into this at goodwood as they have the circuit and skid pan it wasnt cheap but youwould of had a full day involving track work with instructors lunch and skid pan. However there was no interest whatsoever which suprised me given how often it had been talked about.

If you wanted to do it cheaply then yes an airfield day with lots of people will be cheaper but to be cheap they have to have lots of cars to recover the costs and as such you wont get much time on track.

Alot of track day organisers have instructors available infact at goodwood you simply put a sticker in your window and one comes and joins you, for no extra cost while others charge a small fee extra for the instructors.

Thats the idea - I've never really had the GT3 go loopy on me, I've had it step out a few times and said "oi, car, NO !" but if it really went I would not be confident in how to handle it. Karting / Elises can tell you so much but the esprit imo is a tougher beast to tame - esp with that turbo cutting in.

I would ask down at the driving school again (I know one of the guys has an Elise, he took my driving assesment when I 1st started) but as I say they dont seem to be interested in something as proactive as this.

Not sure exactly who would be able to offer a service like this - goodwood sounds interesting though.

Wonder if Rob with the S300 would know any more ?

I did a Walshy day at North Weald in the Esprit last week and would very much recommend it. :thumbsup: It was an excellent opportunity to spend some time getting to know the car in an environment that has plenty of space before you hit anything!

Walshy really knows his stuff as well and my inexperienced head was struggling to take everything in - I reckon I could go another few times and still get more out of it each time. There were three cars on my day (one of the four couldn't make it) and we covered steering, high speed cornering, braking in corners, oversteer, understeer and then did some laps round a circuit that was set up.

Although if it taught me anything, its that I don't want to be anywhere near the snapping point on a public road. At high speeds (~70mph on the corner we were using), it doesn't half break out on you and when I did catch it, it wasn't much more than luck... it's a great feeling when you do catch it though! :thumbsup:

Oh... and if people are thinking of it - try giving Event Tyres a call. You can arrange for them to turn up in a van at the end of the day and fit fresh rubber before the journey home. It came to

Edited by lemoncurd

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

I did a Walshy day at North Weald in the Esprit last week and would very much recommend it. :thumbsup: It was an excellent opportunity to spend some time getting to know the car in an environment that has plenty of space before you hit anything!

Walshy really knows his stuff as well and my inexperienced head was struggling to take everything in - I reckon I could go another few times and still get more out of it each time. There were three cars on my day (one of the four couldn't make it) and we covered steering, high speed cornering, braking in corners, oversteer, understeer and then did some laps round a circuit that was set up.

Although if it taught me anything, its that I don't want to be anywhere near the snapping point on a public road. At high speeds (~70mph on the corner we were using), it doesn't half break out on you and when I did catch it, it wasn't much more than luck... it's a great feeling when you do catch it though! :thumbsup:

Oh... and if people are thinking of it - try giving Event Tyres a call. You can arrange for them to turn up in a van at the end of the day and fit fresh rubber before the journey home. It came to

Ok Guys I would be up for this and am happy to organise something! (A willing volunteer!!).

In order for me to make a few enquiries - could people let me know:

1. Sort of price they are willing to pay

2. Preferable Location.

I have found a few places that provide what we are looking for e.g. there is one based at Elvington Airfield newar York - their charge for an individual booking a whole day of performance driving is

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I'd be interested if the price was competative. Iam not a cheap skate, thing is if the price is similar to an open pit track day then I would prefer to do a track day local to me in Anglesey or Oulton Park.

If it's like the one we did through LEW or similar then I'd be up for it!

Can the organisors ensure that it's raining on the day please!!!

Ok Guys I would be up for this and am happy to organise something! (A willing volunteer!!).

In order for me to make a few enquiries - could people let me know:

1. Sort of price they are willing to pay

2. Preferable Location.

I have found a few places that provide what we are looking for e.g. there is one based at Elvington Airfield newar York - their charge for an individual booking a whole day of performance driving is

near York IIRC

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Think Ade was referring to the Hamster Howard. :)

Dave, I'd be up for this. Could probably even manage an overnight stay if I've earned enough Brownie points by then............perhaps your wife could sell me some :rofl:

Graham :)

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I would hope to negoiate a discount for us and Elvington was only a suggestion - there is also a place in Leceistershire. I was thinking of somewhere central for people travelling although if everyone that is interested is from darn soof then it would make sense to look for somewhere down there.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Just catching up after a fortnight's hols... think this is an excellent idea.

A month or so back I attended a Performance Driver Training Day at Alconbury, run by Ben Elliot Racing.

Although Ben also offers specific track day training the emphasis on our day was very much on applying high speed car control skills to everyday driving situations e.g. cornering techniques, weight transfer, braking, heel & toeing etc. Pitched at just the right level so all attendees got something out of the day (we had both complete novices and one or two fairly experienced track day warriors). Ben's a super bloke too (he also works for a rather well known F1 team)

IIRC the cost for the whole day (8:30 - 4:30) was approx.

I was talking to Alan Morgan on Saturday evening and he says he is going to run the Club Lotus Driver training days again next year although they may be a bit more expensive as he reckons he made a loss on it this year. He also said he was thinking about other venues around the country as North Weald was a fair way south, although ideal for me as I only live 15 miles away :thumbsup: .

The courses at North Weald where a bit tight for the Esprit, but once you got used to them they were quite good fun, even the smaller one. The day was very relaxed and you could drive the courses as much or as little as you wanted, which I thought was ideal as I have no interest in cooking my engine or wearing my tyres bare !.

Martyn :thumbup:

In future I must remember to run the engine on tick over for a min or two before shutting down, or else the thing gives that little puff of smoke.

I think its a good idea too leave it running for a while any time you stop to let the turbo spin down and cool down a little, don't want the bearings running dry could be very messy. BTW the "engine cooking" comment was purely personal and nothing to do with your puff of smoke !

Martyn :thumbsup: