Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New (to me) 1969 Elan Project ish.. - Classic Elan - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New (to me) 1969 Elan Project ish..

D Bull

Hi all

New to this so please ignore any ignorance or misinformation on my behalf.

I have just acquired a 1969 Lotus Elan S4 SE Convertible Black Badge? Car is Cirrus White and covered approx. 82k and has been owned by same family friend gentleman for last 42 years!

I would describe it as a project as it has not been on the road for the last 12 years but has been dry stored - has undergone an engine rebuild, new water pump, cam chain etc approx. 20k miles ago but also probably 15 years in time.

I have every reason to believe it is in relatively good order and is largely original other than a electric cooling fan and ancillary electric fuel pump - it is on original red leaded chassis

My ambition is to get the car back on the road firstly mechanically and then perhaps from there cosmetically - I have basic mechanical knowledge but really think this is a job for someone more experienced so I am on the look out for recommendations on workshops or even interested individuals that would undertake a primitive appraisal to get the car running and useable in the first instance and then perhaps take it from there.

I completely understand restorations on these cars are perhaps a heart rule head head financial exercise but conversely don't want to waste money if that makes sense.

Any information about the car, advice, do's and don'ts would be very much appreciated - I am located south west UK

Daniel

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, D Bull said:

south west UK

you have 2 well known choices, SJ at Crediton and SWLC almost down in Cornwall (:near Litton).

SWLC are doing an early Elan restoration at the moment for Bangers and Cash.

4 hours ago, D Bull said:

have just acquired a 1969 Lotus Elan S4 SE Convertible Black Badge?

We definitely need to see some pictures 😀

Cheers,

John W

Welcome to TLF Daniel and congratulations on our Elan project! As above, we all love pictures. 😉

You are right to seek some professional/ experienced advice before trying to start the car or get her back on the road. But if you have some mechanical interest, it might be better to find someone who knows these cars for a first check and basic work before committing to a restoration in a workshop. Personally, I love those kinds of projects: after a long stand still, get a car running and through MOT, keeping the work limited to what is necessary/ good practice and take it from there. Once on the road, it's much easier to decide how much of an investment is deemed reasonable. A couple of years ago, I helped an Elan +2 get back to use that had also been sitting for 12 years. The owner is thrilled with it and doesn't mind spending to keep improving things, because he now knows how much he enjoys driving the car.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Pics before I paid and picked it up yesterday.. the guy i purchased it from has been very honest and there are some blatant issues that will obviously need addressing sooner rather than later - headlamp vacuum pipe split etc etc

Interior is nice and has had new dash fitted so that's presentable already - the car also came with whole host of spares including diff/drift shafts/brake callipers/ arms etc etc as well as original Lotus Factory Manual

If there is  such a person that is interested in being involved I would welcome them with open arms - I should note located Wiltshire UKIMG_1530.JPG.16c502d9b9eb32e9550395bd2f5520ef.JPG

P3150017.JPG

P3150019.JPG

P3150021.JPG

P3150023.JPG

P3150025.JPG

P3150027.JPG

• Like 2

There is also Williams autos, used to be a Lotus dealer until a couple of years ago, when Lotus Bristol opened next to the M5, they had quite a few years Lotus experience. Have not had any dealings with them. 

https://www.williamsautomobiles.com/about-us/

Says :  

At Williams Lotus we enjoyed over 26 years selling and servicing these cars. This has led to a service team with many years of Lotus experience. With our in-depth knowledge of this unique British brand and advanced diagnostic equipment, our service team will keep your Lotus performing as its creators intended.