Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Body Installation X180 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Body Installation X180

I am hoping to put the body shell back onto the chassis in the next few weeks. What would be the best way please?

I do not have a 2-post car lift which would be ideal to lift on the jacking points. I have seen factory pictures with them lifting under the four wheel arches. But I can move my front end up and down a few millimetres by hand and I feel uneasy to lift it under the front arch. Loads of items on the web for removal but nothing for reinstalling. TIA. 

Hi Geof,

If it's a bare shell the weight will be quite manageable, fully dressed would be another matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, do you have any help locally you can draw on, just needs you plus three others really as any more and it gets crowded.

It’s fine to lift under each wheel arch as this gives a good mix of height and grab ability.

Is the body stored off the chassis high at the moment or also on the ground?

The only thing to be aware of is that factory images show the body to chassis assembly process where the front of the body shell “dives” down at the front to clear the front rear suspension bolts (on the pre X180 anyhow).

It could be a bit awkward if you’re trying to lift and angle the body at the same time with just four folks at ground level.

My own process might be to rest the body on the chassis (with the front not cleared) then lift the rear up until I can get the dive angle for it.

Also if you have scaffold boards and can borrow hobby horse type stands to allow it to rest while you manipulate the position. Make sure the gear stick and swirl pot are off so you don’t have to find another 12 inches clearance. 

There is an image on here as to the angle the factory used and the strapping etc involved but the bodies were more built up than my shell at this stage….

https://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Making_A_Lotus_Esprit.htm

• Like 1