Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
engine loses power and rumbles at highway speeds - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

engine loses power and rumbles at highway speeds

shadeone

ok for the past two times ive driven the car, everything is fine when i first take it out and am in the lower gears... as soon as i get on the highway and get into 4th and fifth gear, the car seems to start to need more and more gas pedal to keep it running... after a few minutes of this, there is a low throbbing noise that starts from the engine and it keeps getting louder and rumblier until eventually i have to pull off the highway... if i shift back into first gear, the car needs some serious gas as i let out the clutch in order to get it to actually shift without dying out....

... now.. the thing is, if i pull the car over and turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes, and start it back up, it seems perfectly fine and theres no problem and i can get the car back home and everything seems to work fine... with these re-starts though, i havent taken it out on the highway because i feel like its something in 4th or 5th gear thats doing it to me....

any ideas whats wrong?? the gas tank is completely full, clutch fluid is full, oil was changed a month ago and still looks good... could it be something with the injectors maybe?

HELP!

shade

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok for the past two times ive driven the car, everything is fine when i first take it out and am in the lower gears... as soon as i get on the highway and get into 4th and fifth gear, the car seems to start to need more and more gas pedal to keep it running... after a few minutes of this, there is a low throbbing noise that starts from the engine and it keeps getting louder and rumblier until eventually i have to pull off the highway... if i shift back into first gear, the car needs some serious gas as i let out the clutch in order to get it to actually shift without dying out....

... now.. the thing is, if i pull the car over and turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes, and start it back up, it seems perfectly fine and theres no problem and i can get the car back home and everything seems to work fine... with these re-starts though, i havent taken it out on the highway because i feel like its something in 4th or 5th gear thats doing it to me....

any ideas whats wrong?? the gas tank is completely full, clutch fluid is full, oil was changed a month ago and still looks good... could it be something with the injectors maybe?

HELP!

shade

i've got the same problem

i'm changing the fuel filter now

hope that's it

greets Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

My SE lost power when i was flooring it in 4th and 5th gears, i assumed

turbo problems as it was revving fine but with no power, and when back

at normal speeds and lower gears it was fine.

This was the first signs of the clutch slipping for me. I've done well though

as in nearly nine years of Esprits i've had only two clutches and i don't spare

them.

Not saying it's your problem, just similar symptoms thats all.

:thumbup:

if it was the fuel filter, wouldnt that effect me in all the gears?

shade

perhaps ?

in my case the stumbeling also happens to me every time when my car has been sitting for about 1 week. (when i drive it dayly this doesn't occure)

It will stumble directly after starting up the car. (after the restart it's gone)

the dropping down of the boost in 5th gear happens every time after about 5 secs

this also could be the filter (not giving enough because it's partially blocked)

starting with replacing the filter is the first and cheapest step

perhaps the next step wil be replacing the pump (it's possible that with full boost it doesn't give enough pressure anymore)

rens

Edited by rens914

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Have you checked your fuel pressure yet? It sounds like something may be overheating (like your fuel pump), and when you give it time to cool off, things go back to normal. Checking the fuel pressure will also rule out the filter. If the filter hasn't been changed since you bought the car, I'd change it anyway though.

A freescan log would likely catch this problem in the act, and narrow it down.