Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Idling problem - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Idling problem

actwon

So, this is the problem:

When the car is cold, it will start promptly. After I drive the car for a while and it is warm, It will start, but not idle. I need to start it like 6 times before it will hold an idle. Anyone have any ideas?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this is the problem:

When the car is cold, it will start promptly. After I drive the car for a while and it is warm, It will start, but not idle. I need to start it like 6 times before it will hold an idle. Anyone have any ideas?

A long shot, but have you disconnected the ECU or battery recently? The IAC duty cycle is one of the

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I just replaced a battery and and alternator and experienced this same problem. It also threw the check engine light on. Is there a specific way to let the car learn its idle?

You have to let the car cycle through hot and cold starts in order for the various parameters to be taken into consideration. I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Mike,

I've started it quite a few times since then. Saturday was the first time I have driven it. As terms as run hours, not that many.

Okay - so that might be it then. Run the car with a lots of hot re-starts and see if the situation improves over the next days.

Here is what I do to reset the ECU:

Disconnect the battery and/or pull the 5 amp ECM fuse (fuse panel near the battery). After letting it sit for a few hours I then restarted the car. I let it warm up and cycle through activation of the cooling fans three times, then turned on the A/C and let it idle for another 20 minutes, all without hitting the gas pedal even once. After that I took it for a drive through the country, A/C on and off, using all five gears.

Please note if you are going to see if the car passes emissions here in the states remember that the Vapor Emission (EVP or EVA) and 02 cycles take a little while to cycle thru. I just got mine to cycle the EVP cycle by having less than 1/2 tank of gas. Still do not have the "all ready" for emission passing waiting on the 02 to cycle.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

So, this is the problem:

Check your O2 sensors. When cold the engine will run in open loop, when hot it goes into closed loop mode. But if the sensors aren't reading correctly it may not start, idle poorly, etc. I helped one guy who had this exact problem a couple of months ago.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Gents,

I'm wondering if I may have something else going on. I followed JoeyO's instructions on setting the idle. Worked like a charm. But another puzzle for you. The following day after setting the idle, the car would not run at idle when fully cold. Ignition would happen, but no idle. I could only get the car to idle if I had my foot on the gas. Once the car is warmed up, it idles with no problem what so ever. What else could it be?

TIA,

John R.

John,

Its a learn-thing.

The Esprit takes a lot of time learning how to idle properly in various conditions. Dont worry, just restart the car and donot help her by pressing the throttle. The more you help, the worse it will get.

You will see that after about 50-100 miles and many restarts idling will be just fine.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

PS: Dont forget to switch on and off the A/C from time to time. She also has to learn idle when the A/C is on !!!

Gents,

I'm wondering if I may have something else going on. I followed JoeyO's instructions on setting the idle. Worked like a charm. But another puzzle for you. The following day after setting the idle, the car would not run at idle when fully cold. Ignition would happen, but no idle. I could only get the car to idle if I had my foot on the gas. Once the car is warmed up, it idles with no problem what so ever. What else could it be?

TIA,

John R.

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

I drove my car about 200 Miles now ,I think it's getting better,the problem is I'll have to disconnect the battary again when i get the chip :D

I hope that the #2 chip makes learning faster :yes

John,

Its a learn-thing.

The Esprit takes a lot of time learning how to idle properly in various conditions. Dont worry, just restart the car and donot help her by pressing the throttle. The more you help, the worse it will get.

You will see that after about 50-100 miles and many restarts idling will be just fine.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

PS: Dont forget to switch on and off the A/C from time to time. She also has to learn idle when the A/C is on !!!

I have a similar problem, and was always under the impression it was the ICV (idle control valve). When cold it starts and idles (on choke effectively) fine. It also starts and idles ok when starting from hot (ie afyter filling with petrol say). But if I leave it for an hour, to cool, but not get cold, then I have th eproblem. It can be embarressing in par parks as you end up revving for a little while to get the engine warm again, or you end up revving like mad whilst manouvering, which just makes you look silly.

Phil B

I have a similar problem, and was always under the impression it was the ICV (idle control valve). When cold it starts and idles (on choke effectively) fine. It also starts and idles ok when starting from hot (ie afyter filling with petrol say). But if I leave it for an hour, to cool, but not get cold, then I have th eproblem. It can be embarressing in par parks as you end up revving for a little while to get the engine warm again, or you end up revving like mad whilst manouvering, which just makes you look silly.

Phil B

Had the same problem, everyone tells me its idle learn, Its a gm system and not that bad at learning. if you have idling problems when warmed up and its been driven a while, disconect purge solonoid under rear window, if idling fault goes away drive it may be canister fault.

Pete

Had the same problem, everyone tells me its idle learn, Its a gm system and not that bad at learning. if you have idling problems when warmed up and its been driven a while, disconect purge solonoid under rear window, if idling fault goes away drive it may be canister fault.

Pete

Well everyone, thanks for the info, however my problem was not an idle learn issue. I have an Apex'i S-AFC and it wasn't passing MAP values to the ecu. So, the ECU was calibrating for a bad MAP sensor. I have disconnected the S-AFC bypass until I get test a few connections. Thanks to all who helped.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Pete

Pete, can you describe this solenoid in a little more detail?

When you refer to "canister", do you mean the charcoal canister?

Edited by INTREPER

• Gold FFM

blue pipe at right hand turbo duct is attached to an airvalve [under plenum, simple Bosh part used on various cars], controls idling conditions. Solenoid for charcoal canister controls evap functions, as it is not possible or a w under all driving conditions. In detail Evap function of charcoal canister changes intake mixture of fuel/air, and this is a problem in some of the rev./load situations... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..