Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Error code 44 Again O2sensor ? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Error code 44 Again O2sensor ?

esp88

Hi

Does anyone have expriance code 44 ?

It's start a weekago after short drive e.g. 5-10 min when engine is almost warm up ! and then off again ! it's started a morning weather was rather cold !

Today when I driving way home from work engine started very bad between 2300 - 3000 rpm ! and When I checked the plugs showed black !

Connected the Freescan, it also showed very low O2 sensor voltage !

Do you think the O2 sensor problem ?

If the O2 sensor failed again (only 8 month old I bought march this year from PUK )

Is that normal such a short lifetime ?

Any comments

Y.Hotta

Edited by esp88

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Yasuo,

The O2 voltage should be jumping up (rich) and down (lean) between 1 and 0.1 Volts when all is OK and the sensor is warmed up. I suspect your O2 sensor (maybe wiring) but code 44 can also be a result of a low fuel pressure, a wrong MAP signal, water in your fuel or an engine misfire according to EMH (page 72 and 73) manual. In the past I have seen postings about the use of an aftermarket sensor versus a original sensor and the consensus was to use an original sensor which worked for me.

Freek

Edited by fjmuurling

Esprit Freak

Guest Troy Halliday

erm what he said!

I had just managed to delete a long post prety much saying the same thing.

The culprets are

1) Lambda sensor faulty

2) Faulty MAP sensor

3) engine misfire

4) water in the fuel

I would start with checking the lambda log and make sure it is swaying back an forth as it is meant to.

if that seems ok move on to the MAP sensor.

Thanks folks

According to the Service manual it's same as Troy suggested ?

At the begining when engine is warm ( e.g. after 10-20 min) ran then no problem disapear !

but yesterday was whole way from work to home 20 min but not truned on engine error lamps !

When I back home check the connection and plugs and connected the freescan I noticed low O2 sensor voltage !

I will order a new O2 senser and see it will help ! If not then check MAP sensor etc..

My O2 senser cable connector is not 100 % good, so I would like to replace but where I can buy the 4 terminals

connector(femeal)

Another question is I replaced O2 sensor (from PUK) 8 month ago less than 10000km and running OK and started

problems a few weeks ago !

My question is that normal such a short life time ?

Y.Hotta

Having similar problem with sensors on V8(same part) tried Bosch,NGT,they just don't last problem starts as low down revs range after only 1000miles,put original Delco AFS79 back in everything fine.Is there something special about these originals?

Dave Hopwood

Hi David,

Thats exactly the very same I experienced so far.

It actually looks like the Bosch sensors are just not suited for the Esprit ...

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Having similar problem with sensors on V8(same part) tried Bosch,NGT,they just don't last problem starts as low down revs range after only 1000miles,put original Delco AFS79 back in everything fine.Is there something special about these originals?

Marcus

Hi David,

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Hi Marcus

I bought O2 senser in march from PUK is that normal the need replace after 8 months ?

(in case if O2 senser has problem )

Y.Hotta

Hi David,

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus, is this the sensor which you are still selling? Will you be replacing that on your website with the correct Delphi ones or at least removing it from sale?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I have exactly the same f*#+ing problem, code 44, when warming up she chockes and spits. Still need to check the vacc tubes running from FPR to the intake plenum, but I will assume that it is the sensor as it is about 1000 miles old ( if that) and it was coming from the same source... I do not know if it is BOSCH though....

:D

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Well, I got one from SWLC this weekend ! I will let you know it will solve the problem !

I have 2 issue on this problem

- defect cable connecoter or connection to ECU

- O2 sensor

I will swap the O2 sensor this weekend and let you know, it I can solve the problem !

One thing I would like to know is the O2 sensors is the lifetime !

Most of the common car can drive more than 3-5 years or longer but

how long Espirt's O2 sensor can use e.g mailage

Does anyone has id

No no,

The sensor we sell is not a Bosch sensor.

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus, is this the sensor which you are still selling? Will you be replacing that on your website with the correct Delphi ones or at least removing it from sale?

Marcus

I just replaced O2 sensor from SWLC (it looks lotus parts A9108E022F) !

And the engine run OK :) , idling sound back to normal again ! So, I think O2 sensor cased the enging problem ! it's rain and very heavy win today !

so, I will let you know more information tomorrow and evt. freescan log !

Y.Hotta

This O2 sensor problem... I wonder if it has anything to do with the tune being soo rich on the esprit? This tends to cause massive carbon build up... which might "foul" the sensor... i don't know... but I wouldn't be surprised if you use a leaner tuned chip... the problems might go away.... it's also possible that without driving the car hard... you don't end up cleaning the system enough... oh and last point... I'm not 100% sure about this... but i think the heater is what's going in your o2 sensor... which may just be a crappy connection to the heater wire on the sensor... i'd make sure you're connectors are making solid contact. if the connection keeps surging (sparking on and off) that might explain why your O2 sensor keeps going. So... take apart your O2 plug... and make sure the contacts inside are tight and clean.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

This O2 sensor problem... I wonder if it has anything to do with the tune being soo rich on the esprit? This tends to cause massive carbon build up... which might "foul" the sensor... i don't know... but I wouldn't be surprised if you use a leaner tuned chip... the problems might go away.... it's also possible that without driving the car hard... you don't end up cleaning the system enough... oh and last point... I'm not 100% sure about this... but i think the heater is what's going in your o2 sensor... which may just be a crappy connection to the heater wire on the sensor... i'd make sure you're connectors are making solid contact. if the connection keeps surging (sparking on and off) that might explain why your O2 sensor keeps going. So... take apart your O2 plug... and make sure the contacts inside are tight and clean.

Thanks Mark

After replaced the O2 sensor seem to me running fine as before !

no problem with 2000 - 3000rpm

I have S4 chip I think and I drive every day to work/home most of the road is high way 20-30 min drive

(26km each way) I know I have lille problem with O2 sensor cable connector( a lille shipping damanged from U.K when I bought the S4 injection system ), So I need new one but I couldn't find where I can buy 4 terminal femal connector ! but just 8 months lift time for O2 sensor I think it's too short !

Do you have any id