Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pricing of New Esprit (?) - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pricing of New Esprit (?)

Feffman

Hi All:

I hope everyone has their Lotus Christmas wish list ready.

A pseudo poll here. If the new "Esprit" (Esprit replacement) is priced $120,000 - $140,000 US dollars as we hear indicated, what else will you consider at that price (Aston Martin Vantage, 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, Corvette Blue Devil, Radical SR3/SR5/SR8, Lexus LF-A, Nissan GT-R, Dodge Viper, Audi R8, new Honda NSX, a combination of cars, etc.)? Feel free to expound and "NO" it can't be a pre-owned something or other, strictly new.

Feff

Edited by Feffman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't have that kind of cash but if I did its going to have to be damm sexy,

That AM Vantage is stunning. and the 911 is reliable & practical (for a supercar)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

the 911 is reliable & practical (for a supercar)

Also look like a VW Beetle, souless and Very Common (IMHO) :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I think the trouble with 911's is that there are so many variants, therefore know one really apprciates the supercar versions. A standard carrera is a different beast to a Turbo or a GT2/3. Personnaly I'd go AM Vantage

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Tony,

Don't sit on the fence on the issue of the 911. Let us know if you like it or not B)

Actually, I think it's a good summary, but there are many out there that will shop for the badge and reliability. Where's the soul?

What's the news of the NSX?

I hope you have a good weekend.

Regards,

Peter.

I think it is lurking in a bit steep in price range if it is as reported (personally). Dealer response and dealer support is going to have to be a damn site better than it has been in the past. I think at above $140,000.00USD a lot of folks will wait until a pre-owned comes up.

If the issue is purely if I would buy one... hell I love Lotus and def. would if I had the cash! just to have the new one. But there you have it... I love Lotus cars. Many, as we all know, do not even remember Lotus since they are no longer in the racing game.

However, I usually do not want the first run 'til someone else has worked out the issues that all first run cars seem to have. And... I do not have that type of cash laying about. Also, if it does not come with a true "stick"... I'd walk away and have to really think about it even if I had the cash.

While limited away from this above, the reality for the cars success is this: Will people pay upwards of $140,000.00USD for a new Esprit or pay the same or less for a 1 owner 360 Ferrari (or similar). In the USA... prob. not. :) The car will do much better on a first outing in the $110,000.00 to $120,000.00 range.

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I think it is lurking in a bit steep in price range if it is as reported (personally). Dealer response and dealer support is going to have to be a damn site better than it has been in the past. I think at above $140,000.00USD a lot of folks will wait until a pre-owned comes up.

Cameron:

This is definitely a key point for US buyers. My Lotus dealer is a used car dealer in a facility that leaves a lot to be desired. I can't see leaving a $120,000 Lotus there to be worked on if it's to be left outside over night. They may be able to pull this off with a $45,000 Elise (not meant as a slap in the Elise's face) but when buyers are spending $100K plus, they expect a nice facility.

Tony, I agree the 911 is becoming a little prosaic, but you can't argue with the sales success. My guess is your father, Arnie Johnson and the other powers that be at Group Lotus would kill for the sales success and profit margins the 911 produces.

My numbers may be off, but the question remains. At essentially same price, do you buy the new Esprit replacement or something else, particuarly if the Lotus doesn't have have a bespoke engine?

Happy Lotusing!

Feff

I have often batted this very subject around with my old man who is a bit of a car nut also.

The conclusion we generally come to on most new 70k+ cars is that it comes down to one question and I personally always fall on a couple of cars on each side of the answer to that question.

The question is does it need to be practical for what you want it for.

now no one knows how the new esprit will fall on the answer of this but in my terms i only really use my esprit as a play thing and have rarely put more than a weekend bag in it, and therefore for me I wouldnt need it to be practicall and I'm affraid that there are probably two cars given this budget that I would go for before the esprit replacement.

1, The ultima 30-40k would get you a beast of a car that for brute force nothing short of a veyron would beat it! and from what I hear the handaling is not to shabby either.

2, Arial Atom for fun and a play thing I think this may be hard to beat and looks like a complete hoot.

3, I would probably through the 2 eleven in this category before considering the new esprit as for pure fun factor this will probably out strip the esprit replacement.

now if practicality is some part of your decision process then how do you beat an aston of some description the DB9 as a tourer looks astounding, and has more exclusivity that a porker.

But that said oh to have the choice :)

It's a simple answer really. You keep mentioning "Around the same price" and "at that cost" and I must point out that:

1. We don't know a cost as yet and any speculation is purely that!

2. If it is around the costs you've been mentioning (

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Tony:

Don't get me wrong, I'm holding off on another Esprit V8 awaiting the Eagle or Esprit(??) replacement. In the US, sans the UK's VAT, the Vantage ($120K), 911 Turbo ($120K), 911 GT3 ($125K) are all in the same SPECULATIVE price arena as the Esprit replacement. Several competitors, Corvette Blue Devil ($100K), Nissan GT-R ($80K) and Honda/Acura NSX ($100K) will require less outlay but will be right in the ball park of the proposed/specualted Eagle price.

All this being said at that price point it's about passion and the bottom line, will the new Lotus' inspire the passion the original Elite, Elan, Europa, Esprit, etc. did? I hope so!

Feff

Aston vantage V8 to me is an other category respect new Esprit becouse its more luxury and quiet car than a real Lotus pure sports car must be......

The Elise R is a 50000$ car it is only two seater is uncomfortable and overpriced respect the concurrence(Slk,Boxter,Z4 M ecc) but the customer choice and love it becouse it is a pure sports,funny and little exotic car a real Lotus, to the same way must be the new Esprit imho....a car that sell well for the Lotus finance but no a "supermarket" supercar like 911.

A Noble, can I do that although it might not be available in the US? Nearest I can get to an Esprit V8 new..

Or if I can cheat and buy it in bits an Ultima GTR. Best of all worlds true American muscle in a British engineered mid engined chassis.

Jeff

Ps. Raymond Baxter (Dec'd) - Broadcaster and WW2 Spitfire pilot - 'I've always admired the Americans they were the only people to shoot me down during the war'. True, apparently a P.38 Mustang pilot decided he was a German... He always said in humour with no malace intended (his wife was American).

Considering the slowing US economy and the ever weakening dollar..... by the time the new Esprit is available the price will probably be close to $180,000 US!

For that... I will probably never be able to afford to own a new Esprit. Unless I win the lottery!

I agree with Jeff...I would buy an Ultima as roller and put an LS7 engine in it.

I think that you can now only get a new Noble in the USA. Mr. Noble sold off the rights outside of the UK for all his current cars to his former USA distributor.

Regards,

Peter.

A Noble, can I do that although it might not be available in the US? Nearest I can get to an Esprit V8 new..

Or if I can cheat and buy it in bits an Ultima GTR. Best of all worlds true American muscle in a British engineered mid engined chassis.

Jeff

Ps. Raymond Baxter (Dec'd) - Broadcaster and WW2 Spitfire pilot - 'I've always admired the Americans they were the only people to shoot me down during the war'. True, apparently a P.38 Mustang pilot decided he was a German... He always said in humour with no malace intended (his wife was American).

Edited by peter_england99

In all honesty, I doubt many people looking at spending $120,000 on a new car are considering a kit car among their choices.

The new NSX will be a V10, front-engined GT car rather than a mid-engined sportscar so drops out of contention.

The AMV8 is a different sort of car, I think. Many will flock to the Porsche as it is so common. Likewise many will go for the Ferrari automatically as it's a Ferrari. The Lotus will appeal to those who know their cars and believe in the Lotus philosophy or those who want to stand out from the crowd. I think that's always going to be the case.

For me a properly done new Esprit would get the nod over a Gallardo or 430.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Nobles in the US have been mildly restyled and sold as a Rossion

Gallardos and F430's continue to distance themselves from the "anticipated" MES price point. Murci performance at less than Gallardo price would be a huge selling point.

The US competition seems more likely to be the Viper and Blue Devil as people would buy them to drive on weekends and be seen in. The 930 has really evolved into an executive car that professionals lease and drive daily, secure in the knowledge that they could kick arse if they wanted to, but rarely do (more like SL AMG's). Porsche competition may be more like the GT3RS which takes a little more dedication to drive. I'd expect the MES to be more demanding and rewarding in that respect.

E.

Considering the slowing US economy and the ever weakening dollar..... by the time the new Esprit is available the price will probably be close to $180,000 US!

Greg I don't know where your information comes from and again it is pure speculation. The UK economy isn't in good shape either so it could go either way in regards to exchange rate.

Most people on here including myself aren't really in the market to buy a new Esprit so a bit of a pointless excersice but here goes anyway

If I had the money and was spending it on a new car, it would have to be Aston followed by Porsche. If I could afford a new Lambo, this would be my first choice followed by Ferrari 430.

Here's the sad news, the new Esprit would be my last choice to buy as a new car at this price. Hear me out on this, it's not because it performance, looks, handling, character etc, it purely my money depreciating on a new car. The Esprit would lose too much money IMO. If you look at the last Esprit you can buy now for

Greg I don't know where your information comes from and again it is pure speculation. The UK economy isn't in good shape either so it could go either way in regards to exchange rate.

I was guessing...... B)

Most people on here including myself aren't really in the market to buy a new Esprit so a bit of a pointless excersice but here goes anyway

If I had the money and was spending it on a new car, it would have to be Aston followed by Porsche. If I could afford a new Lambo, this would be my first choice followed by Ferrari 430.

Here's the sad news, the new Esprit would be my last choice to buy as a new car at this price. Hear me out on this, it's not because it performance, looks, handling, character etc, it purely my money depreciating on a new car. The Esprit would lose too much money IMO. If you look at the last Esprit you can buy now for

• Gold FFM

interesting car range....,

but i hope the new Esprit gets the same kind of attraction in the first owners eyes as the old one. So this offers me a chance to buy it as a cheap second hand option ... <_<

@Eric: so Noble and Rossion is the same, but what is the conceptional difference between them and the farbound car ...!? Looks as if the V6 Ford midengine is "state of the art" in small car companies !?

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

If you look at the last Esprit you can buy now for

Hi Kimbers,

OK then, I'd go for Audi R8 (is this classed as a premium German car?), Aston and that's it.

The other thing is the other car manufacturers usually get the gremlins sorted out as they have more cash to spend on development. Iam not saying that they don't have their problems but Lotus usually get the car out then look to sorting the problems out. More 'development in production'. We only have to look at the early V8's and other models. Nothing wrong with them but they did have some problems.

A few people here would say I am having a pop but Iam not, I love Lotus and have had 4 Esprits but they are all used.

I would buy a new Esprit after it's been out for a year or two.