Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Castrol TAF-X 75W-90

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joey, I bought my last lot from Marcus at PUK Germany, excellent service!! I initially tried getting some in from the UK but they wouldnt ship (chemicals) to NZ, PUK didnt seem to have such issues sending to NZ. However I am not sure sending to US sorry. Worth a try.

Regards,

Kylie

350.gifNo.23

I bumped into this same problem here in Canada. I found this post on a VW forum, and ultimately went this way.

According to CASTROL:

Message: Here is the response to the inquiry I sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."

I just changed it last week, and pretty much drove the car home to put it away for the winter. The gearbox felt pretty good though on the drive home. I picked this up at my local Pontiac dealer, although they have changed the part number to 10953477. I think that's the new number, my notes were left at the shop, but that is from the bill of sale. It was $29 CAD a bottle, and I bought 3 so it must have been a litre each.

I hope this helps,

Rob

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

• Gold FFM

I too just did a fluid renew - bought mine from PUK - took 3weeks to get it but no problems.

I ordered another round (a couple of weeks ago) so I can have some on the shelf.

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Gold FFM

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I too just did a fluid renew - bought mine from PUK - took 3weeks to get it but no problems.

I ordered another round (a couple of weeks ago) so I can have some on the shelf.

May I ask you how much was the shipping to the US?

At 9.80 a bottle that is less than $15US a bottle which is a great price.

JoeyO

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I bumped into this same problem here in Canada. I found this post on a VW forum, and ultimately went this way.

According to CASTROL:

Message: Here is the response to the inquiry I sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."

I just changed it last week, and pretty much drove the car home to put it away for the winter. The gearbox felt pretty good though on the drive home. I picked this up at my local Pontiac dealer, although they have changed the part number to 10953477. I think that's the new number, my notes were left at the shop, but that is from the bill of sale. It was $29 CAD a bottle, and I bought 3 so it must have been a litre each.

I hope this helps,

Rob

When I talked to CASTROL USA they could not confirm that with Castrol Syntorq is exactly the same as CASTROL TAF-X.

JoeyO

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

as i understand ATU and others here in Germany do not deliver overseas !? So try and ask Marcus, i guess the *81 cent* :thumbsup: difference is his personal "pic-up service" cost... .

(Marcus dont be angry again, it's just a joke ... )

When I talked to CASTROL USA they could not confirm that with Castrol Syntorq is exactly the same as CASTROL TAF-X.

JoeyO

Ages ago I searched for both of the data sheets which show analytical information and the two oils are quite different in specification.

My small advice is just stick to the recommended stuff :)

350.gifNo.23

• Gold FFM

right! it is the one we can buy here in Germany (bought 3L this week , so it seems it is still available in Europe..)

Edited by G

I wasn't able to confirm here but one of the VW packaged oils with a factory part number could be TAF-X.

Could somebody check this up further in europe or the USA. I think it was for one of the 90's Golfs.

DanR

• Gold FFM

look into that : http://www.atu.de/pages/shop/artikel_detai...rtikelnr=CT0041 and compare it to the other link

it's actual lower in price than i payed in this week, *shit happens*

My local Lotus dealership recived 2 cases recently. After a long discussion with price he wanted $285US per case (12 bottles) he sold a case to me for $205US which is about $17Us per bottle. The dealer also said this oil is getting harder to get from Lotus USA and shipping it from UK is getting more expensive.

Now I have enough to last two changes or 2 years. I guess I will worry about finding this stuff in 2 years.

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

Joey: why do you change it so often? Does the maintenance list from owners handbook say that.... !?

its a mystical thing, you all say it is a problem to get some of the stuff, and that may be (in order of an other discussion we have done here...)would lift up the price!? But why the hell reduces the biggest German supplier just now the price to around 7 Euros inclusive local tax ???

Maybe they clear the stock of inventory to have enough space for a new version... . :)

I change mine once a year. The manual says once every other year. But from many owners it is recomended to change it once a year.

I takes 6 bottles (500ml) to change the fluid - that is 1/2 case.

Form what I've learned from Castrol it is only "mixed" in the UK at key times thru the year. Therefore once Castrol in the UK is out, you have to wait until they "mix" another lot of the fluid.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

yeah, it's a shame, i know... . Have not maintained the whole car for long time (more than a year now..) . Even the gearbox stopped to drip out oil.

As a good mechanic would say: first it gets louder, ...than its quiet (for ever..)