Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cats ? - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cats ?

Do not believe that to be the case. Instead, I would support Mike's view that people who de-cat will tend to have done other stuff as well, and may have overstretched their engines somehow.

The turbochargers on the Lotus V8 engine are Garrett TB2531. That's pretty much the same turbo as on something as mundane as the Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo. They are most likely not identical, but it is the same model. Could be different wheel trims and that sort of thing. But the bottom line is, the turbos used on the Lotus V8 are nothing out of the ordinary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. decat itself should NOT have an effect on that however, pushing at extra 100HP through the turbos will make a difference.

i agree too on the turbo's, t25 is an extremely commmon turbo.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... i agree too on the turbo's,  t25 is an extremely common turbo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The T25 flange is used widely, but the Esprit has a bespoke round three bolt exhaust flange. This makes it a special

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

now does this cat kit come welded up with the stock exhaust flange piece or do you have to cut up your stock cat piece ? just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll let you know when I get mine back ( should be about a week ).

Right then, said Fred.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, I've had mine done. They look good and sound very good as well.

I did have them changed at the same time as the wastegate capsules so it's hard to tell what's made the difference. But, they have got to be a much better bet than the

Right then, said Fred.

Hi,

I heard from an experienced lotus mechanic that decating would cause turbo oil seal problems

and that the ones that had been done did have the turbos start to leak oil!

Seems odd to me

Cheers Andy

ps early turbo cars never had cats my Lancia didnt and i ran it at huge boost levels never a prob with the turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

how are you finding the new cats after almost 2 months? I'm thinking of doing the same to my v8gt, and as you don't know which way to go. An feedback on what they are like would be great.

stu.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

• 6 months later...

8 months on and the car is still off the road (for various non-cat related reasons).

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between:

Larini 'sports cats' system

and the cats halfway down this page cited elsewhere on the forums:

PUK Larini SS V8 High Flow Cats

apart from there being a 30% difference in the price ?

Jason.

I've just ordered the cats from Marcus, they should be here shortly. As far as I can tell, there is no difference. I guess the price quoted by Larini is RRP and dealers like PUK get them at trade and add their own margin. I guess I've paid about

Cats arrived yesterday. I must say they are very substantial and very well put together, the consistency of the welds is particulalry impressive. The steel used seems to be twice the thickiness of the stock items and of course the finish is superb. I have to resist the temptation to go right out and get them fitted as I've a couple of turbos arriving next week and I want to do the lot in one go.

• 2 months later...
The high flow cats are exactly what they say......basically a bigger through flow so theoretically you'd get the benefits of a de-cat and stay legal.

Can you not just de-cat it and find a friendly garage?

Ahhh, my kinda guy! B)

I pretty much just said the same thing on another post.

John

Hi,

I heard from an experienced lotus mechanic that decating would cause turbo oil seal problems

and that the ones that had been done did have the turbos start to leak oil!

I had this issue with my old '98 GT. It was decatted from new. After a particularly hard weekend in France (Boys on Tour!) it started smoking from the left bank as we were queuing up for the ferry home.

Upon inspection and consultation with the factory it was decided that the lack of back pressure was allowing oil to seep past (remember it only takes a tiny amount of oil to make a huge amount of smoke!) a seal in the spindle. I think it was blamed on the spindle being allowed to move, although we're talking thousanths of an inch.

I can't remember what the fix was, but it certainly didn't involve replacing the turbos etc, or even something as daft as putting the cats back on! I think we had a tiny shim made up to act as a thrust washer. Cos at Sportomotive (then Haydons) knows all about it, he was with us at the French hoon...... :)