Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 wheels on an S4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 wheels on an S4

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think they'll go on Ok, it was just the pre S4 cars that had larger hubs that needed machining. There's some info here. Don't forget however the bigger V8 wheels will put your geometry out and this will need attention to avoid tyre wear and may well affect handling if not set up correctly, so this will add a further cost to the modification.

Martyn :)

Early S4's had the same hubs and toyota brakes as the SE's, so those would require machining the front wheel or replacing the hubs.

Later S4's had the Brembo brakes and newer hubs and do not need any changes for V8 wheels.

Also read this.

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EGuides/...WheelsonSE.html

Camber, at least in the rear, will have to be adjusted for the wider rear wheels.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Actually the S4 has a 58mm spigot on the front hub so it'll take any of the later wheels - all the S4's used the same wheel (for the UK at least).

I was going to buy them for the SE I have but turned them on the lathe instead as a tempory measure.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Actually the S4 has a 58mm spigot on the front hub so it'll take any of the later wheels - all the S4's used the same wheel (for the UK at least).

I was going to buy them for the SE I have but turned them on the lathe instead as a tempory measure.

Doh! I keep forgetting that. Thanks Jonothan.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thats it - 30 hail Chapmans for you !

LOL - only messing :)

Wish I knew at least 1/2 the things you've done on the car !

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

The back v8 wheels fit straight on. Although they are a little bit sticking out of the arches without the arch extensions.(like the v8). The front wheels needed machined to fit and you will need to adjust the steering as they rub on the inside when turning tightly.

I put the v8 wheels on my car. Question to everyone............Do you think it slows the car down much having the bigger width of wheels???????

I have an S4 and used to have the V8 wheels ...depending on which ones you get, you just need to compare the weight of the wheels...some of the older wheels are heavier than the wider newer wheels. The differences would be so small that I dont think many of us would be able to tell the difference. The wider wheels in theory would/should give you better cornering ability.

Take care,

Jason

But there is more drag, more friction and this is bound to have an effect, albeit very minor I would say.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Has anybody put 4 V8 wheels on the scales to see what they tip at compared to the smaller wheel sets. I would bet there is quite few kilos different.

Cheers

Alex

Yes my rear AWI 18"x10" with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 285/35-18 is 63lbs....

My original SE OZ Route 16" wheel with 245mm wide tire is much much lighter.

So the rotational inertia is much worse on the V8 wheels, acceleration will be slower!

But you know what...

The car handles so much nicer, and feels much more planted (granted I have stiffer suspension).

I think the new wheel-rate feels like it is a better match for the car, and my suspension settings, than the old lighter wheels.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

When I bought my '92 SE H/Wing a few weeks ago she had V8 alloys fitted. Unfortunately I immediately had to put the standard rims back on as she failed the MOT due to the front wheels rubbing against the body at full lock. :D (8 1/2 J 17's fitted with 235/40 ZR 17 tyres).

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE