Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Best place to get BOV's? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Best place to get BOV's?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Andrew,

It would be best to get a kit, as the induction on the V8 is not the simplest to find a good place for BOVs.

I would recommend Johan Hybinette

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Greetings,

I have the HKS SSBOV in stock. These are the best ones to use for the V8.

They cost $500 for 2 with the alum weld on adapters.

You will need to weld them onto your intake pipes.

If interested contact me off list

-Larry

Lotusracing@earthlink.net

My mate fitted a kit to another V8 at the weekend. Took about two hours to fit. Decided to take the boot floor out for easy access.

The kit is a Bailey BOV and silicone tee-pieces. It fit perfectly. We needed to cut the tee piece down a bit but apart from that, it fits and works a treat!

Started engine and when you rev it the BOV go 'ptsshh'

Kit costs about

Peter,

I've seen it done in the flesh and it works spot on. Will put pictures up once I receive them. I also heard then in action yesterday when I went to a trackday.

Some may argue whether you need them at 0.75BAR. A carbed turbo is only 0.65BAR, a turbo S is 0.75BAR and an SE is only 0.85BAR. All these have T3 turbos which are bigger. The V8 has smaller T25 turbos, so you could argue that in fact it will benefit from BOV's

Dave Walters

But then the turbo tag to spin up the tiny T25s, even from a standstill, is very small so the benefit of BOVs could well be minimal.

I don't suppose you or your mate has a PC based OBD-II scanner which can log against time? If so you could monitor TPS and MAP in the two different scenarios.

First in fourth gear, accelerate gently (to minimise the boost and therefore turbo speed) to say 5000rpm then take your foot off the throttle and coast down to 4000rpm (the turbo should now be practically stationary even with BOVs). Then boot it. At 4000rpm you'll be well within the turbo's efficiency range to minimise the lag. On your logger work out the time between the TPS going to 100% and the MAP hitting maximum (should be 7psi with the stock ECM, or 10psi with the S350).

Now accelerating hard (to maximise the boost and therefore turbo speed), do a quick shift from third to four so that when you release the clutch in fourth the rpm is approx 4000rpm (giving the same exhaust flow to spool up the turbo as in the first scenario) and measure the time. This'll be with the benefit of the BOVs.

Finally, compare!

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Neal, you may have a point that T25 spool up quicker butut there is also the other benefit why people are fitting them is to prevent back pressure damaging the fins on the turbo.

And the other but no benefit, whooshing noise of course LOL!

ps. I thought it was the same boost on V8 and S350 when you're in third and above???? Only first and second is limited to half boost??? Or am I wrong?

Anyways, Iam on 0.75BAr (11PSI) in every gear, so no confusion there.

Edited by superdavelotus

Looks like a pretty tidy solution Dave.... just swap out one coupling for another with a T peice for the BOV.

I now remember why this option was not considered before. The actual gap between the cast compressor duct and the inlet elbow is about 5mm. THe PNM kit fits over the top and allows the charge to escape through this 5mm space between the cast parts (see below):

eba00367534f00000022.jpg

This shot shows the orginal duct positions which were replaced on my project. You can see how little space there is between the two ducts, but clearly just enough to allow the BOV to vent the charge.

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

The gap is actually greater than 5mm, your cast inlet pipe doesn't look attached to the back face of the head in the picture, hence the smaller gap and the misalignment of the pipes. It is a tight fit and a little fiddly but the cast pipes only just show at the base of the "T" piece (just less than 1mm each side), this can be filed back to give an uninterupted flow if you so desire.

:huh:

yeah - you

Looks like a pretty tidy solution Dave.... just swap out one coupling for another with a T peice for the BOV.

I now remember why this option was not considered before. The actual gap between the cast compressor duct and the inlet elbow is about 5mm. THe PNM kit fits over the top and allows the charge to escape through this 5mm space between the cast parts (see below):

eba00367534f00000022.jpg

This shot shows the orginal duct positions which were replaced on my project. You can see how little space there is between the two ducts, but clearly just enough to allow the BOV to vent the charge.

Mike S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The gap is actually greater than 5mm, your cast inlet pipe doesn't look attached to the back face of the head in the picture, hence the smaller gap and the misalignment of the pipes. It is a tight fit and a little fiddly but the cast pipes only just show at the base of the "T" piece (just less than 1mm each side), this can be filed back to give an uninterupted flow if you so desire.

:huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Superdave- I'm very interested in securing the BOV kit for my 2002 V8 from PNM but unfortunalely have not been able to reach them. Do you have any contacts there? I'm in the USA. Also, do the manifolds still have to come off to attach the T fitting?

I see Pete every day nearly. If you send them an email with my name on the heading.

I will mention it to Pete tommorrow but I think he's away for the day.

It takes about 1-2 hours to fit. Best to take boot floor out. Then undo the bendy aluminium pipes from turbo. There is anough to get the silicone pipe out and new tee-piece in. No need to remove manifolds or plenum. You could do it without removing the boot floor it's easier to work without it in.

If you ring tommorrow you'll get John who actually fitted the one in the picture so he can confirm everything to you.

Their number is +44 151 630 6101.

do these blowoff valves sound rice rocket ish? i dont want japaneese sounding blow off valves. I love the sound of the stock waste gate and want something like that instead of the jap hissing noise. anyone wanna comment?

Edited by bimmabimma

For me, the BOV is more for function than for audible pleasure..... provided it