Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Broken Steering Column - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Broken Steering Column

IMG_0793.jpg

Steering wheel on my 88 can be moved all over the place. I opened the collapsible cover and discovered the crack and broken break out inserts.

Should I TIG weld or replace?

Is the column Lotus specific? Are new columns available? Are used ones reliable?

Thanks for all your help. :devil:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm potentially going to have one of these going spare.. but not for a month or two :devil:

Because there are multiple parts for it to collapse apart from where it's broken, tig welding should be ok as long as you can get it strong enough not to break in that area again..

Having said that, you don't want it to sheer mid corner.. so unless you are sure you can get a weld stronger than the original joint, I wouldn't..

The steering rack I think is old Capri.. but the column is something one off for Lotus I think.

Replace it, no option.

If you TIG the bits that are broken it will probably alter the properties of the adjacent metal, the ones not broken have already been stressed way too much, considering how vital this component is, there's no real option.

Don't know regarding alternatives.

Phooey!!!!!!!!

It is really unfortunate that you are so far away as I have got a perfectly good steering column which I am about to chop up as I need the spline on the end to mate up to my new power steering column.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Do not try to weld. The collapsible cage is designed to progressively deform on frontal impact. Inside the cage the column itself is in I think two pieces factory fastened using pins of plastic. The idea is that if you have a front end impact the pins shear, the column compresses and the cage ensures that the impact loads are spread evenly. Welding up changes these characteristics, and if the cage is that badly damaged already the plastic pins in the column may already have snapped too, which is probably what is giving you the symptoms you are experiencing.

I think the columns were in the parts sale down from about

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

is there any way I can find out if there are any left? I would be thrilled to buy a new one plus shipping to da states! I have a call in for a used one down in Texas for about the same price as new!

Mat brings up a very interesting point. I bet the plastic pins are snapped if the steel cage is broken. What was the PO doing?

Edited by GregWO

Ahhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!

I knew this would happen.

I am now feeling very guilty about chopping up a working steering column seeing as they are made from Unobtainium and hence expensive.

If anyone has got a knadgered one they can let me have (I only want the spline and bottom bearing) then I am more than happy to send over my use-able column for just the cost of the shipping.

Hilly

Your awesome Bibs!!! Yes, please get a price for me. I'll reimburse you.

I think its A082H6034F or D079H6006F but I do not have the parts manual. Would someone please check which is the correct number. 1988 USA Esprit Turbo....

I may also need the break out inserts.... how would I know if those are bad?

Hilly, Do you have pictures of what you want off the column? I could cut the parts off and ship them to you. Shouldn't be that expensive to ship small bits.

Edited by GregWO

Greg

I'm not sure what you mean by "break out inserts". The steering column comes in one complete unit as new.

I've been told that the columns are extremely susceptible to damage by application of excessive force whilst trying to remove or change the steering universal joints at the bottom of the column. Might explain the damage to yours?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'm not sure either. :devil: the manual states something about the break out inserts... It looks like a special plastic spacer that the bolts go through to attach the column. Its probably included with the assembly... I hope!

Edited by GregWO

The section I need is the bottom 12" of the column (the splined centre shaft, bottom bearing and outer casing) ie everything in the red box as shown below.

IMG_1140750x562.jpg

I think the breakout are on the 2 silver oval bolt hole thingamys.

They are broken on mine also, but I reckon I can replace them as they are just nylon pins which I can fab up on the lathe.

If you are happy with my having rack (from a 1981 car, but I think it is the same) the we can exchange shipping prices and then work something out.

If you end up deciding to go for a new one then what I'll do is donate my old one to LEF free of charge for the next person that is in need of one.

Hilly

quick update: No way to really TIG weld this...

IMG_0813.jpg

The breakout nuts are broken... see the little plastic white pins?

IMG_0815.jpg

Hilly, Does the bottom section look usable? I'll ship it to you if you want. PM me for details.

IMG_0814.jpg

Your awesome Bibs!!! Yes, please get a price for me. I'll reimburse you.

I think its A082H6034F or D079H6006F but I do not have the parts manual. Would someone please check which is the correct number. 1988 USA Esprit Turbo....

I may also need the break out inserts.... how would I know if those are bad?

Hilly, Do you have pictures of what you want off the column? I could cut the parts off and ship them to you. Shouldn't be that expensive to ship small bits.

According to my parts manual (1988-1992 MY) A082H6034F is the steering column for SIR (airbag) cars and D079H6006F is the steering column for NON SIR cars. (cars without an airbag).

Freek

Esprit Freak

Thanks Bibs! Your the greatest!

That brings me to ask to anyone who wants to answer.... Are all prices marked up like this? For example I was quoted $185.00 for the door handle lock set, $149.50 for EACH Bosch injector, $35.00 each for the Plastic trim strips that attach to the side 1/4 windows. What's the UK price for these items? I bet its 1/3 the difference...

I need to buy a parts manual.

Edited by GregWO

Lotus Of Atlanta price looks very similiar to the list price before the parts sale. Wouldn't surprise me if they've just left there prices as they were.

Thats what I was thinking. So the dealer gets to keep the difference! NICE! I bet the owner of the stealership doesn't pay that pack to Lotus....

Recently I bought a new condensor/chargecoolerradiator which was in the partssale for my AC renewal project. When I phoned my Lotus dealer and asked them about it they told me that I had to order it directly from Lotus and indicate on the order form the nominated dealer where it should be delivered. The reason for this was that if the dealer ordered the same item Lotus charge them the normal price and not the saleprice.

Freek

Esprit Freak

just an info to not miss out on :

when I replaced my airbag monster steering wheel with my Sport300 wheel it was discovered that the upper carrier, pn C082H4035F, had a hairline fracture, exactly at the place where the wheel lock pin is located.

Just imagine that pin engaging whilst driving !

So double check if the body of your carrier is intact !

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg