Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No replacement Temp sensors anywhere, even Lotus ! - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No replacement Temp sensors anywhere, even Lotus !

paulg390

Paul,

The post on LEC has given you a couple of options:

Paul Parsons who is in Rutland has offered you a brand new one, provided you replace it and Phil and Dave Pink have offered to loan you one off their spare engines. I'll PM you their e-mail addresses if you want to take it any further.

Geoff

PS:

They appear to be used on a host of American cars but also the Isuzu Trooper - see the WikiLEC write up.

You might be able to get one for ~

Edited by Geoff

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame they aren't local to me. If the temp sensors on these cars pack up does the ecu put the cooling fans on constantly like most ecu controlled fan vehicles?

I'll make a few calls tommorow and see what is available here and post it in this thread. If you are in dire need we can figure out how to get it to you.

If the temp sensors on these cars pack up does the ecu put the cooling fans on constantly like most ecu controlled fan vehicles?

They certainly don't on the Elan as it is a separate thermal switch. I believe the Esprit is the same based on Paul's first post on this thread. Sensor failure is usually open circuit which tells the ECU that it is cold and the mixture is very rich causing difficulty in starting, rough idling and crap fuel consumption.

Geoff Smith

Shame they aren't local to me. If the temp sensors on these cars pack up does the ecu put the cooling fans on constantly like most ecu controlled fan vehicles?

Hi Dave. Thats a good shout. In my current experience, "NO"

I have a seperate direct circuit via the ecu, set up now to engage the fans manually. Only problem with this is that it activates the engine check light.

Thanks to all who have been so supportive with their time and energy. Many thanks :D

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hi All,

The Elan has same values and same thread but is a different part number.

Hopefully in next couple of days I should have good news on finding one.

Incidentally, PNM has lots of working used ones in stock if people are stuck now.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Well, I'm not sure Elan M100 used two different type sensor but my Elan 92 has only one cable which means sensor body has a grand ( Not work on Esprit)

but somebody said before, find a GM parts with same connector type has a chance !

(I may have a spare bought from SJ but Not org. Lotus parts )

How about contact Garry Kemp, Yorkshire he may has some spare ?

Y.Hotta

temp sensor that I ordered today came but I haven't had chance to test it on a car or test values out. It's a shame no one on here could test it for me.

I should be able to test on an s4 in a few days time.

Will keep you posted.

Dave Walters

I'd be interested to see a picture as well Dave to see how different (or otherwise) it is from the Elan one.

Someone from LEC had some off a Daewoo as the connector was right and they were the same mechanically but not electrically unfortunately.

Geoff Smith

Geez guys - you have all been brilliant.

In answer to some of the earleier questions... yep tried SJ's and everywhere else, C. Neil put one on order for me, I'm not 100pc sure it is the sender BUT all the symptoms as I described them fit this according to all the dealers I spoke to.

Sorry I've been in India and now in Dubai so just haveny been able to get on the forum !

Geoff - I'd be really grateful if you could ask one of your contacts to email me (I have 24x7 access to email) with how I could "borrow" or loan one. I'll PM you my email addy.

I've also PM;'d Glyn as a backup and olaf,esprits4de was looking for me too....

I'm truly amazed by the response... I'm back next week and so maybe I may have a car to drive :-)

Thanks again...

They have no stock left. This is SWLC :)

Edited by Kimbers - Mod
tidy post, please use add reply when replying to a post that is just previous, not quote and reply - thx

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

The Elan's CTS is also listed against the '88 Beretta, so if Chuck is right, the Elan and Esprit CTS are the same.

Edited by Kimbers - Mod
tidy post, please use add reply when replying to a post that is just previous, not quote and reply - thx

Geoff Smith

Sorry, but it was late and when you get to my age your eyesight starts to go! :lol:

[EDIT: So do I quote when it goes onto a new page Tony?] :lol:

Coincidently, I've just diagnosed a knackered CTS after having difficulty in starting the Polo. From cold, it took several minutes of cranking before eventually getting a few coughs and splutters, then very rough running for ~30s followed by normal running.

Temporary solution when starting from cold: unplug the CTS for a minute to fool the ECU into thinking it's brass monkeys. After a minute, the O2/lambda sensor has warmed up, takes over in closed loop and enriches the mixture. :sofa:

Edited by Geoff

Geoff Smith

Here is a photo of the Buick temp sensor and my old broken Esprit (assumed OEM) temp sensor. The new one is about 1/8" longer but is otherwise dimensionaly the same as the OEM sensor. I also check the resistence values at three test points with an industrial grade Fluke multimeter and the two sensors have very similar readings at each test point. So make your own judgments but I would say this is a suitable substitute for the Lotus OEM ECU temp sensor. And it only costs $12.00 US and is readily available. The PDF document shows a temp sensor with a different style of connector but the resistance cuves and dimensions seem to match the Lotus sensor.

coolant_temp.pdf

post-4197-1204167106.jpg

That's good information Chuck. The electrical characteristics were confirmed from the Esprit and Elan manuals by Yasuo and we had already linked from the Elan to the Buick but now you've confirmed with the Deplhi data.

All you need to resolve is the connector issue - I still can't make out from the picture what sort of connector yours is though!

Geoff Smith

Does look a very very close match, just need to see the connector .... if it looks like a match, I'd be happy to pay the $12 + postage to try one so I can return the 2nd hand ones so kindly loaned to me.

Hi Paul,

I have a new one which I was going to try out but haven't had chance. It's not a Lotus one but Iam pretty confident it's the right one.

If you email me, you are welcome to try it out if you wish?

davidawalters@btinternet.com

Dave Walters