Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front lip spoiler/shift knob - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front lip spoiler/shift knob

I need a new lip spoiler for my 2000 V8. What are my options? Carbon Fibre? I just saw this one on Ebay. Has anyone gotten one of these? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOTUS-ESPRI...tem330215351142

Also, I need a new shift knob and have seen quite a few I like with the Lotus emblem on top, where can I find one of these?

Thanks y'all!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the ad:

--------

You are bidding on a BRAND NEW Front Lip Spoiler/Valence for a Lotus Esprit model years:1993-2004. It is an aftermarket part made of high quality fiberglass and not the rubberized plastic of the OEM. It won't change shape after a few bumps and scrapes. The spoilers are an EXACT replica and shape of the OEM spoiler.

--------

Emm, yes the OEM one is rubberized plastic but for a very good reason - so it can endure those bumps and scrapes. This fibreglass one won't have the chance to change shape since it will be in pieces on the road behind you...

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

That's why Lotus made it in rubber in the 1st place. With all the sleeping policeman, I'd break mine every week if it was CF or fibreglass.

Regards,

Peter.

Not sure - it was on the car when I got it. I am looking for a replacement as I broke mine in an unfortunate misadventure with a curb.

It actually took quite a big lateral impact to break it. I actually had to run it into a the vertical portion of the curb to crunch it. The PO put it on the car as he had a large bump getting into his drive way and managed to take the rubber one off twice. The CF splitter actually site a little higher. I scraped it a couple times going over speed bumps, but you could never tell. It's a pretty tough piece. I'm not sure about the fiberglass versions though.

If you made the CF splitter really thick it would take quite a bit of pounding to crack, but then I guess you have to remember it will put stress on the bumper connecting points and could split the glass.

If your current one is getting a beating dont even go there.

350.gifNo.23

As I recall, the rubberized plastic spoiler is secured to the lower valance using very flimsy plastic screws which can easily snap or pull out, causing it to sag. But again I think this is deliberate - if you have a serious knock to the spoiler it's better to rip it off than for that force to go into the valance and fracture it since replacing that is serious

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

If you made the CF splitter really thick it would take quite a bit of pounding to crack, but then I guess you have to remember it will put stress on the bumper connecting points and could split the glass.

If your current one is getting a beating dont even go there.

Exactly. The current one is strong enough to handle the occasional scrape but will fail before the valence does. I've been really happy with it.

The front spoiler looks really good however as previously said the Lotus one is rubber for a good reason.

My car has had an overall respray recently and I had the original lip spoiler colour matched to the body....Big mistake. It has lasted a grand total of 6 weeks and is now so scuffed and chipped i'm having to replace with a new lotus set from SJ sportscars at

I just ordered the silver shift knob with the Lotus badge on top from Jeff at JAE. He's got them on order should be in I think by next week? I told him to put my name on one.

How much may I ask for the JAE one?

I think it is the same for the V8... here is the link

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...3_Gearknob.html

Someone used a piece of wood underneath the knob and hit the wood with a hammer. Another person said you can also put the open end of a large spanner/wrench under the knob and hit the wrench from underneath and it'll pop off. I don't know if these work.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Just to add to the comment, anything lower than the standard black rubber that is not rubber wouldn't last five minutes- I bash mine virtually eveytime I drive the car- speed bumps and even sharp ascents.

I don't know how the Sport 350 and post 2002 guys cope at all!

B

Just to add to the comment, anything lower than the standard black rubber that is not rubber wouldn't last five minutes- I bash mine virtually eveytime I drive the car- speed bumps and even sharp ascents.

I don't know how the Sport 350 and post 2002 guys cope at all!

B

They drive every incline and speed bump at a 45+ degree angles......it is the only way not to destroy that part