Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Google Esprit? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Google Esprit?

Sparky

• Gold FFM

If this has been covered before, then apologies.

For my sins I run a development team which is just breaking into web 2.0 technology (dragging our heels). I'm not very good at this stuff myself, but I've always been interested in mashups - in this example, a method of merging web-based data sources. So I thought I'd have a play.

I'm intrigued to know the geographical spread of Esprit owners, and a Google Maps mashup is the ideal solution. I'm initially playing around with the Google interface, but eventually would like to migrate something more interesting to my server (or yours, Bibs, if interested). Have a look at the following:

Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp....654297&z=6

Google Earth: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...2&output=nl (safe to open the file, honest)

... and click the blue marker. In this case, the geographical placing is where I took the photo rather than my house. I appreciate people may not want to give their precise address, but the town would do! Alternatively it could be used as a photo/data bank, as in my example. Text, all kinds of data, photos and video are possible.

At the moment it's just a manual thing, but a hosted user-updated database shouldn't be too difficult.

Thoughts?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Apologies as promised! Searched for it, but didn't find - probably incorrect words. Hey ho.

So it didn't pan out? Bibs's link gives me a blank, but it looks like it wasn't using Google, which is much more function-rich.

Edit: Sorry - I see it was changed to Google membermaps. My proposal was something a little more labour-intensive ultimately, but far more configurable.

Edited by sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Understood, Mat, thanks. Shame though - it's an incredible piece of technology at zero cost, and the possibilities are endless. But so be it.

I used it and would love to see it return.....

....please

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Just my name and surname get me at number two on a worldwide google search,

no need to add 'lotus' or 'esprit', just my name and surname and i'm number two.

I don't work with a PC, this is entirely down to Lotus related stuff. Thats quite enough

'being on the grid' for me, and i don't want a map, even if it's only an area, showing

the world where i am added to that information.

People took the piss when i suggested myspace and facebook put too much personal

info out there, but now facebook is making the personal info accessable and searchable

nobody is laughing anymore.

I'm sceptical about any map/location info i'd freely offer up, as without any intention at

all i have made myself instantly findable on the internet, anything i now add to that easy

to find information is my own choice. A map of where i am, however general, is not it.

:)

• Gold FFM

I think it's such a shame there's such polarity over these things. Anything like this will display as much or as little as you want it to. So, for those who want to participate, it's a handy social tool adjustable to ANY level of accuracy and privacy that one desires. And if you don't want to play, well, no problem.

It's a bit like saying "I don't drive cars - they kill people." Yes they do, when used irresponsibly. But when used within guidelines they're very handy! Likewise Web 2.0 - it's here to stay, and we can't do a thing to change it. It is already changing the social framework of the world. Those who wish, though, can simply avoid it.

And for the record, I dislike Facebook, and all its sinister affiliates in the business of marketing personal information.

We did have this on the forum as mentioned however I have a supercar in the drive and don't want anyone to be able to find it with a couple of clicks. Also, with our lists for events someone can easily find your house (the one with the Esprit in the drive the day before an event) then see when you're away for the day/night/weekend. I decided that there were too many security issues (paranoia or not) to continue it's use. I suggested that everyone use their nearest train station but people still used their postcode.

I'm currently implementing a Google map of worldwide Esprit dealers/mechs/indys etc which is fun, it's great software, you're right :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I don't mind putting a pin on a map saying "I'm right about here in North America," but beyond that, I agree with Paul C. -- I don't do facebook or anything similar -- too much of an online footprint for me.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I didn't want to say anything prejudicial to a discussion, just wanted to point to the previous thread. However now people are expressing views again, I feel free to say I'm against it for all the reasons quoted by Paul, Bibs and Tony.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

We had a problem member a while back, in the mod area i carried out an exercise

armed only with his name and email. The purpose being to see if the member was a

real person or made up.

I got, in half an hour online:

Full name. (as on forum)

Email. (forum contact email)

Home address. (online phonebook)

Home phone number. (see above)

Business address. (from name and town search)

Business Email (from website found after finding above)

Business fax (from website found after finding above)

Alternate business Email (same as forum contact, linking business is that member)

Business phone number. (from website)

Business out of hours number (same as listed for member home address, second proof)

Business hours. (handy to know if you want to go to someones home)

Overhead images of each address. (google earth and microsoft live)

As you guys point out, it can't be stopped, but when you know certain things are not

out there, then why add them? One seemingly useless detail can provide a cross reference

that proves another, and so on. It's not paranoia, just sensible really IMO to limit what you

willingly submit.

I'm just an Electrician that works in crap all day and has to look at the keyboard to type.

What someone with any clue as to what they are doing could access is beyond me, but if

i can raise stuff that easy, i can only wonder how far you could go if you were trying???

:getmecoat:

• Gold FFM

Couldn't agree more.

And why even try, when the government will give you it on a CD for free? Somebody somewhere knows all about me AND my kids, thanks to their ineptitude. Makes a rough pointer on a map pale into insignificance.