Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clicking Speedo - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clicking Speedo

Scotty2

My speedo is clicking and it's one of the jobs I haven't got round to investigating as I usually have the stereo on.

My question is: Will it be more likely to be the cable or the head (speedo itself) ? Is this a common fault ?

While I'm on, the standard Sony XR-6700RDS, I have no manual, How do you set the clock?? "Select 1" changes the colour of the display and once I did figure it out but I can't suss it out and it's bugging me.....

Ta.

Scotty2

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The speedometer cable likely need lubrication....especially if the needle is not steady. The Esprit VDO speedometers are of questionable quality, so it could be an internal gear problem. Sending out for repair is approximately $150 out here in the states...not sure in the UK, but imagine something similar.

There are two schools of thought on the way to solve this if it is in fact the cable..

The lazy way would be to pull the binnacle and shoot some type of lubricant down the sheathing. The other way would be to disconnect the cable at the transmission, pull the cable out, lube it up, and then reinstall. This could even require removal of the binnacle in order to get the cable to properly reconnect with the speedometer head.

By pulling the cable out you would be able to definitely know whether the cable had twisted/ binded requiring complete replacement.

Either way, no short easy fix as far as time, but definitely a do it your self job.