Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Looking for a New Daily Driver-Not sure what to get - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Looking for a New Daily Driver-Not sure what to get

My 1995 Lexus es 300 is finally start to do the nickel and diming. I would like some input on what would be a cool daily driver to pick up. My budget is about $15,000 USD.

I am really open to all types of cars...I do not have kids so I could go for something sporty or then again; I do surf and snowboard so maybe a mid size SUV would be a good choice to fit all my gear.

My only requirement is that the car needs to be reliable.

Any suggestions?

Jason

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty much describes a Subaru Forester 2.5XT.

Not the best looking car on the planet but ticks all the other boxes. Surprisingly quick out of the box and since it shares the WRX/STi platform & mechanicals can be readily tuned to 350 - 400hp (crank).

Pop over to the US based community SubaruForester.com to learn more. The chances are that we'll bump into one another there too :thumbsup:

Honda. New Accord, out in May. Nuff said.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

How about an old Jaguar? Maybe an XJ-S? lol! :(

If I want a zero-hassle car that won't nickle and dime me, I'd get any kind of a Honda or Subaru. My wife's Civic has been outstanding and worry-free, and I am continually amazed at the durability and longevity of the subarus a few of my friends have.

(That's not my personal choice, though; my "daily" other than the company car is a 944, but being 23 years old, it does need the occasional item. If I needed something bigger, I'd buy a W124 Mercedes-Benz.)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Forester is a fantastic car, had a turbo S afew years ago and still missed when I changed to an Impreza turbo wagon.

I'm about to buy a new daily driver as well, going for a Landrover Discovery 2 4.0 V8 and slap it on LPG. I fancy some time without car finance for once!!

Lots of LECers use their Elans as a daily drive.

Mine is less thirsty than my 2.0 Nissan too...and a lot more fun.

Mechanically, the M100 is similar to any other FWD, but has a nice low centre of gravity and suspension which has been designed properly.

Lots of LECers use their Elans as a daily drive.

Mine is less thirsty than my 2.0 Nissan too...and a lot more fun.

Mechanically, the M100 is similar to any other FWD, but has a nice low centre of gravity and suspension which has been designed properly.

i was gonna say M100!

had one myself as "daily transport" - fast fun and cheap to run (just getting difficult to find a really good one now as their owners know how lucky they are!!)

:yes

Cheers - jim

How about a 03-05 Honda Accord V6 6spd coupe? They are very sporty cars with lots of power, pretty good fuel economy if driven nicely, and its a Honda. Should go forever. My dads at 460,000 km's on his '92 and she is still goin strong. Running on propane since 315,000 km's, haha :(

My 1995 Lexus es 300 is finally start to do the nickel and diming. I would like some input on what would be a cool daily driver to pick up. My budget is about $15,000 USD.

I am really open to all types of cars...I do not have kids so I could go for something sporty or then again; I do surf and snowboard so maybe a mid size SUV would be a good choice to fit all my gear.

Any suggestions?

Jason

I'll trade you my M3 for your S4. :(

Edited by dos Santos

I would look for a Mk 5 GTI or a Jetta 2.0t... both VERY quick and very nice ride-quality. The warranties should still be in effect at that price in the US too.

Here's an example with a (as the brits call it) flappy-paddle box.... the DSG (it's technical name) is a phenomenal transmission. It's actually two 3-speed transmissions on top of each other with two wet clutches and two input shafts. The car electronically rev-matches each shift so it's seamless. We haven't had any problems with clutch wear on these tranny's yet and I know of a Jetta TDI with over 200,000km on it with that transmission.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-VW-GTI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Mark T-C

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Any suggestions?

Jason

You cannot beat the cost per fun ratio of a Mazda Miata. It's my daily and I love it...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I'll trade you my M3 for your S4. :(

I would find a M3 E36 very interesting, or an 325i compact (2004), fast, reliable and practical; don't know if it is on sale in the USA.

Jean

What? 15.000 USD? Put me on the List! ( what scale is it ? )

You are assuming that it runs.... Hahaha....

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

LOL...I would love a 308 ...would need it to run though!

I really appreciate all the suggestions! I could not believe how many options I had when I started to look. The fun part will now beging and I will go out and drive them and go from there!

Toby..I see you like the LR Discovery...that was initally what I was going to get BUT read some reviews on them. I was astonished at how bad their consumer ratings are ...I really did not read more than a handful positive reviews out of hunderds...I was really bummed but I am glad I did my research first.

Thanks again for all the help to all!

Jason

I own a LD Disovery II and I love it. Roomy, rugged, and fun to drive. B)

And these days with the price of gas, you can pick them up cheap!

Edited by lotusdogg

I have to say you are the first that I have seen to say that they had a good experience with them. That is awesome you like it...I think the styling is fantastic!!!

Check out www.edmunds.com and see those reviews...I was taken back to say the least

Jason

Edited by jfitz981

Forester is a fantastic car, had a turbo S afew years ago and still missed when I changed to an Impreza turbo wagon.

Couldn't agree more Toby! Have had my JDM Forester S/tb for 9 years during which time it's covered 200,000 miles. Other than normal consumables, a replacement battery and one clutch it has never let me down or cost me a bean. Completely unassuming, hugely practical and immense fun to drive.

It's successor - a Forester STi - is due to arrive in a week or so :(