Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Touchup paint - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Touchup paint

My local Lotus dealer claims that they cannot get Calypso Red touchup paint from Lotus. Is this a common problem for other colors as well? Is there anyone out there with the same color who has found a "generic" at Autozone, etc. that is a close match? Would like to attend to just a couple of stone chips (REALLY tiny, but would still like to fill them in).

Thanks,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Kylie. I have in fact seen the code previously, but it never occurred to me that "any" paintshop could use it to produce a match. In my ignorance I assumed that the code would only have meaning to Lotus itself. I'm about 99.9% certain that the paint is original.

John

P.S., Tony, Bibs, etc., please note this "historic moment". I have actually "replied" without including the "quote". Even "colonials" can learn!

Edited by Iconic Ride

I had the reverse problem, I told them the blue colour by name and said it's the later one, they only found one on the system for that name, so just made it, and sold it. It was only when I used it I realised it was the earlier one.

I'd suggest going to a professional paint supplier if you can. They make paint up all day long to supply body shops so get more skilled at the measurements and have great knowledge.

Andy

Just went outside (any excuse to look at the car again) to recheck the code, Simon. It's B03, so that would seem to verify that there is, in fact, more than one Calypso Red. Who knew?

Thanks for the input, Andy.

Thanks, Steve. I'll give them a ring.

John

Are you ready for this? The Lotus dealer service manager called me today to say that he can now get (and has, in fact, ordered) Calypso Red touchup paint from Lotus. Here's hoping he receives the correct one.

John

Edited by Iconic Ride

Have never seen an Ardent Red Esprit, Will. Fact is, I can probably count the entire number of Esprits I have seen in the last couple of decades on one hand, and that's including mine! The "rarity" (at least here in the States) is part of the attraction I suppose, certainly for me. Ironically, as I went to the dealer to pick up my touchup paint, I was first handed a container of Ardent Red. I pointed this out and was quickly provided my Calypso Red. Never got to see what the Ardent would have looked like.

Regards,

John

What's the difference between Calypso Red and Ardent Red? Which one is darker? Brighter? More orange-ish, etc.?

Calypso is more pinkish, Ardent is more bluish. In my view, Ardent is a much purer red. It is very common on Elises, and was introduced rather late in the Esprit life cycle. (MY2002, perhaps?)

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Sanj! Are you implying that my Calypso Red is an "impure" color?! Just kidding...

Cheers,

John :)