Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Barn-find restoration - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Barn-find restoration

Congrats Matt, absolutely top notch...........I only wish I had some similar level of mechanical nous, drive and determination. It would make the bills less and the enjoyment greater! Until that time though I'll be keeping my local Lotus Mechanics in bread and water! Well done again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I seem to have spent more time driving the car than working on it over the last few weeks and it's been a nice change!

I have spent a lot of time recently on the door mirrors I have made them from fibreglass and as I have used a mould taken from an original mirror the shape and all dimensions are spot on, I have used the ball and socket system from old rear view mirrors to pivot the mirror's glass.

I have made a pair but I'm not sure if to fit them both sides

It has taken me around 14 hours to make each side!

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

I stopped at a hotel close to my home last night and took a few pictures of the car

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

The car seems to drive very well with plenty of power and it

The more the merrier :yes:

Matt,

Fantastic job on the restoration, the car looks simply stunning, great work on the mirrors and good call on the suberu pads. The fire system looks like a good system, will defo get one of these, at the moment I use two handheld in the cabin from merlin motorsport, great product but its those few seconds that are lost from getting out the car and opening the hatch that make the difference of watching your pride and joy burn before your eyes.

Thinking about this while on the subject of engine fires, the wood and carpet over the petrol tanks cannot help matters either, As I run my car without the carpets and the wood has been covered in stainless steel sheet, so hopefully this will delay the bonfire a bit from getting worse if the nightmare ever happens :)

Cheers for the link on the fire system, regards danny

Edited by silverfrost

A

Hi Matt,

If I were you, I would send some pictures to Lotus, I'm sure they'll give you a gold medal !

Superb job !

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

• Gold FFM

Nothing to say but you are a true enthusiast. Well done Matt.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Wow amazing work.

Well done on the wing mirror, even the original Bond car that was sold at Bonhams recently didn't have accurate wing mirror like the ones you made.

I'd also use only one.

Love the pics in front of the hotel BTW. :)

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

WOW -- NICE WORK, Matt!!! As the others have said, WELL DONE!!! :):(:lol:

The White S1 Owners Club salutes you!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Mark

Between Matt and I I'm sure we can sort you out with the necessary to make a wing mirror if Matt wants to keep his as a spare. How are you at fibreglassing?

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...

That's unbelievable. I love S1's. To think you brought it back to this kind of condition...

I have a 1990 Turbo SE with misfire problems. Nothing compared to what you had on your plate. I'm starting to feel inadequate.

Well done.

Mark

Between Matt and I I'm sure we can sort you out with the necessary to make a wing mirror if Matt wants to keep his as a spare. How are you at fibreglassing?

Paul.

You going to Donnington?

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

outstanding resto job matt...

so glade you stayed true to the original design and resisted any a temps to "improve on it".

great job on fabrication the A-post mirror.

nice work = hours. id say 14 a side sound fast for someone with an eye out for craftsmanship. anyone can slop together a glass up mirror in a couple of hours but whats the point?

db

:devil:

Absolutely fantastic. Well done on the restoration and a good choice of colour. :D

Be still my beating heart!