Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
As new Excel for sale - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

As new Excel for sale

Previous threads have shown strong support for the Esprits sensible brother, and I've long fancied one as a stablemate. How about this amazing one for sale at South West Lotus, just run in. It's in the "very expensive but where will you find another" category. Given how many are disappearing to Europe it may not hang around as long as expected even at the price.

What's pleasantly surprising on this late J plate is how much the design had matured by then; the interior looks impecable, with none of the queasy 80s colours and trim treatments.

Can we have another car like this soon, MJK?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was on display at Donny this year. and if I'm not mistaken those pics were taken in the "traders" car park round the back. Lovely car, my first Lotus was an Excel in Essex Blue , and I still miss it!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Yes its amazing how these cars have really turned around in the style stakes - Just 10 years ago they were still in that awkward 70's/80's unsure edge design but now the Excel and particularly to me the Eclat and Elite are starting to look really special again! Pity theres not many decent ones left - would love one too - Almost bought an early Excel years ago

I know what you mean. I have an Excel on my "Must own" list.

Steering wheels on the wrong side though! :devil:

Andy Clements....step away from the computer. That's a nice car and doesn't need "working on". :devil: :devil:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Guest Antiques

Thats a lovely condition Excel.Grey body, and the dark interior dont exite me though!NICE TO HEAR ONE OF THE GUYS GIVING THE ELITE A GOOD WORD. I THink people will wake up soon to this undervalued gem., and start to invest big money in bringing them back to their former glory,James/antiques.ps sorry for shouting.

Smart looking Excel! That graphite looks very late 80s.

to me the Eclat and Elite are starting to look really special again! Pity theres not many decent ones left - would love one too

If you're in the market for a Elite / Eclat the S2.2 / Riviera is the car to go for. Last weekend spoke to the Guy that owns this S2.2 Elite. He was saying the S2.2 was much better / reliable than the first Elite's. He said the first cars were so awful and unreliable Lotus had to improve the cars in order to sell them. So by the time the S2.2 was on the market, Lotus had galvanised the chassis, improved the suspension and sort alot of the gremlins.

Lotus%20Elite%202%20Thum.jpg

It's an SA too (automatic version) so relatively rare. Came with cruise control IIRC?

Funnily enough that's the third Excel SA I'v seen at SW Lotus in the past 18 months... they had a tatty early silver one in their compound for a while, probably in for parts or refurbishment, a customer dropped in at one of their open days with a red SA (yes, the later ones had cruise control), and then this one pops up. Somehow the idea of an automatic Excel appeals to me more than a manual... am I naughty for admitting that? :devil:

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

If you're in the market for a Elite / Eclat the S2.2 / Riviera is the car to go for. Last weekend spoke to the Guy that owns this S2.2 Elite. He was saying the S2.2 was much better / reliable than the first Elite's. He said the first cars were so awful and unreliable Lotus had to improve the cars in order to sell them. So by the time the S2.2 was on the market, Lotus had galvanised the chassis, improved the suspension and sort alot of the gremlins.

Lotus%20Elite%202%20Thum.jpg

See what I mean - that looks great - I'm pretty sure they were Mr C's favourite too?

Andy Clements....step away from the computer. That's a nice car and doesn't need "working on". :devil: :devil:/quote]

GGRRRRR.

I still need to work out what to do with my Excel, get rid / keep as is/ do it up / give it an Elite body.

I still need to work out what to do with my Excel.....give it an Elite body.

Yep that's what you need to do! There was guy in Peterborough doing the same thing but haven't tracked him down yet.

As for the car above being an SA, I would have thought that an autobox would not have been a happy partner with a highly strung four, but contemporary road tests suggest the exact opposite and praise it highly. Certainly wouldn't put me off.

The pic of the blue car above is owned by a guy called Leigh. It's painted in Essex colours (inc. the red interior) as it was used by the F1 team to ferry people between race meetings as the Essex Esprit was a tad limited in the passenger carrying dept.

It was used in press photo's of the time apparently.

That blue Elite was also used by Chapman. Leigh showed me a rather cool pic of it at the Monaco Grand Prix, taken back in the early 80's.

Love to see that? There was a cracking Green Elite for sale on Autotrader about 5 months ago with some Magazine style shots in Central London - looked absolutely stunning but I failed to convince Mrs Nello that a 30 year old Coupe would be a usable daily family car! :devil:

Love the Speedlines they shared with the S2 and there were some fab 70's colours available.

Edited by USAndretti42

Colins main Elite was Brown and driven by Hazel as he drove his Merc most of the time (sorry to disappoint).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Yes I was aware Kimbers that ACBC used his Merc mostly but always found that kind of strange? Why not endorse your own product or be proud of what you were building by driving a car with your own initials on? Any more ideas?

Edited by nello

Yes Kimbers, one of the stories on here related to CC and his hanger for his plane, and it mentioned him driving a souped up Cortina Ghia which sounded rather low-key for him. Can you or your pop recall what other cars he ran?

Edited by britten_mark

The Excel is a fine car to use daily. I have mine 5 years, had some little troubles but every time that I did't drive it some days I mist it. Its pritty comfortable, very good handling and a nice engine.

But this summer I have to do some work: new clutch, exhaust, front dampers and some little things to make it ready for the next 5 lovely years.

Cheers, btw the steering is on the right side.

Jean

That was the one Mark with a darker Green Leather trim interior - stunning

Indeed, the interior could take a little getting used to...ah what the hell it suits it!

I have been told it was bought brand new by a guy in Newcastle who had a huge milkround!

Edited by britten_mark