Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear hatch wont open - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear hatch wont open

Well its time for the engine to come out to get repaired and the esprit refuses to let me. When i pul the rear hatch release it releases the drivers side one, but then when i pull it again it doesnt seem to unlock the passenger side one. I can hear something moving under the hatch but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get another person to pull the release handle while you wiggle the hatch laterally. They can just become stiff over time and a good wiggle often solves this problem.

Once it's open check that the cable is pulling the mechanism enough and adjust accordingly.

If you can't open it, there are options but none of them are pleasant for either you or the car.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

This means that one of the plungers has released properly but not the one at the other side.

First, make sure the car is on an even piece of ground while you're doing this as the body twists slightly if it's higher on the passenger rear than the drivers side rear. If it's still not going to open,

cut a wedge of wood, wrap it in several layers of masking tape and get someone else to pull the hatch open lever while you gently use the wedge down one side of the hatch near the plunger to ease it in one direction. Then if this does not work, ease it into the other side of the hatch and use it to push the hatch in the other direction. This should help get the plunger central in the catch and release it.

I've done this myself before.

Just be careful not to damage your paint or fibreglass.

Gently does it.

Alan

Edited by Alan Paterson

If these fail drop your muffler. Above it is a small panel. Use a Dremel or so to cut through the fasteners. Remove that panel and you should be able to reach and open the catch with your hand.

DanR

if you have a cooking utensil thats plastic like a spatchuler try that with a soft cloth as this may be a bit easier to get into than a piece of wood once freed check there is a good amount of grease on the plungers and the mechanisum as it may be stiff

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hehe I had this problem but was totally self inflicted as I farted about trying to make minute adjustments to its position. Wiggle and heaving eventually freed it. I still have not figured out how to adjust the pull on the cable as it could do with a tweak. But as I fewked it up last time poeple tell me to stand back from the car and put the tools down.

So taking my technical advice may not be a good idea LOL

Alex

This means that one of the plungers has released properly but not the one at the other side.

First, make sure the car is on an even piece of ground while you're doing this as the body twists slightly if it's higher on the passenger rear than the drivers side rear. If it's still not going to open,

cut a wedge of wood, wrap it in several layers of masking tape and get someone else to pull the hatch open lever while you gently use the wedge down one side of the hatch near the plunger to ease it in one direction. Then if this does not work, ease it into the other side of the hatch and use it to push the hatch in the other direction. This should help get the plunger central in the catch and release it.

I've done this myself before.

Just be careful not to damage your paint or fibreglass.

Gently does it.

Alan

Thanks to all for the advice. Alan, it worked a treat thank you. Ive put the sanvik hole saws away now B)

Now you need to majke sure it's not going to happen again, you might not be so lucky. I adjusted mine as close by eye as I could, then grabbed some gripps and had some one shut me in the boot! The grips were to remove the pins if I had got it wrong, but fortunatly it popped up like a new one. If your bigger than me and can't get in the boot, children could be helpfull!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)