Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Reactions to an Esprit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Reactions to an Esprit

Took the Esprit out on Monday. First stop was to get petrol. Two kids, probably about 20 years old, were at a pump across the forecourt. One turns to me and asked, "Is that Lotus?" After getting over the shock of him not asking if it were a Ferrari, I confirmed that it was and eplained aboutr the model while he and his friend wandered over for a look. The guy was most appreciative especially when I told him the car was built in 1979.

Next was on the freeway heading towards Charlotte. A Scion XB pulled alongside. For those that don't know about this car it is a boxy Toyota aimed at the youth market with lots of customizing options. Guy winds down his passenger window (he was in the lane outside mine) and toots his horn to get my attention. When I turned round he gave me an "OK" sign.

Further down the freeway a pick-up pulls alongside. Same sort of deal. Down came the window, horn was blown but this time it was a signal for me to put my foot down and show-off, a temptation I managed to resist.

In each case the kids involved were about 20 years old but they still enjoyed a car almost 30 years old. I'd forgotten what effect that Giugiaro styling had on people.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funniest one for me was driving past a house to a stop sign ... young lad about early twenties came charging out of the house as I was moving off shouting (yes shouting loud) "Yay ... Lotus !!" ... suffice to say I circled the block again.

When I first got the Esprit the rumour around town was that I had bought a Ferrari of course. Many people seem to think it's some sort of kit car too. One lad also said he liked my Porsche.

Generally I find the younger guys seem to know what a Lotus is ... courtesy of driving games on the computer I think.

Still no one seems to believe me that it's a 1990 and most think it's relatively new ... and of course worth $100,000 ...

Worse part is getting the 'boy racer' type coming right up on my ass all the time ... actually had it today whilst swinging through road construction a new Audi was way too close on my tail for my liking.

I have had some fantastic reactions to my car. People literaly stoping in their tracks jaw on the pavement. Im quite used to the chorus of kids shouting to their mates; "Look at that Sick car!!!" Had lots of thumbs up from other drivers. Had one discussion with one chap through the window who told me he was loving it! when i asked to what he was refering, the car or the loud Reggae i had playing he replied both and said it was a fantastic combo and that i clearly had style!

For the last 17 years I've had nothing but positive reactions from people, usually a thumbs up or a wave - even from motorcyclists. It is very common now for people to come up from the passing lane and then pace me when viewing the Esprit from its rear oblique angle (which is its best presentation, I think). It's also very common for them to be taking photos or videos from their cell phones.

There is a similar thread to this on another forum inhabited mostly by Elise owners. I was quite surprised that they get almost as much negative reactions as positive ones. However, it may be due to them being generally younger and hanging out in places where there's a lot of trash talk.

regards,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

• 11 months later...
  • Gold FFM

I got a pretty good one last night. Wanted to go for a drive so went to see someone about a tiling job they want done and then drove to my daughters to drop off her late birthday present.

On the way home I had to fill up. I pull into a Caltex and spot a Z3 M series. Now call me a banker or lawyer if you will, but I don't mind the Z3 and Z4. So I pull up opposite him at the bowser. As I'm getting out, the guy is standing there looking over his car at mine. I throw him a 'Nice car' comment.

I get back 'No. (pause) That's nice' Could not believe it was an esprit (and recognised it). Was stunned when I said it was 14 years old and then gave it the 'classic shape' comment. Was rapt when I let him sit in it and then we just rabbited on about the cars for about fifteen minutes.

Really made my drive worthwhile.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Just after I got my Esprit I was waiting for a traffic light to turn green when someone shouted at me from across the intersection 'Lotus Esprit' and gave me a thumbs up. As I turned left in front of him he shouted 'that is so cool'

Having just got the car I got a warm fuzzy feeling all over and one big smile on my face.

"Wow it sounds great "

or

"Wow it looks awesome"

are the two most common reactions I've had,

also have had a lot of thumbs up, people pointing to their friends etc.

I only own the car since March and it has covered very little miles but so far the reactions have been very positive.

ATB.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Same here - always smiles, thumb-ups, dropping jaws, dumbfound stares, pointing and yelling 9-year-olds etc. And the boy racers, yup. Got'em here too. They usually honk or rev up violently. So is their unpolished culture.

Every time I "fill 'er up" someone comes up for a chat. Even old ladies!

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Same here, my 90 SE is 19 years old, a lot of people think it's a new $100k car.

The boy racers can get irritating. I had one particularly obnoxious kid who had jazzed up Mom's Civic, and was riding my tail down a ramp. Okay, kid, you want to run with the big boys? I was doing about 70, and the Esprit would take the turn at the end at 70, but not much more. Plenty of grass on the outside of the turn... let's see if he's paying attention.

He wasn't, or he genuinely thought he could follow me at that speed. I never touched the brakes, just swung to the inside and added a bit of power to balance the tail. The White Rocket zipped right through. The Civic? Last I saw, it was over the curb and plowing the grass, and I thought I saw a couple of pieces flying up in the air.

Hey, kid. That's why it's called a Lotus.

• Gold FFM
The Civic? Last I saw, it was over the curb and plowing the grass, and I thought I saw a couple of pieces flying up in the air.

:lol:

Is that mph?

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)