Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Sport 500 - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Sport 500

Thanks Tony.

Here is where the sound comes from :)

We have finished the rear now and I am stunned about the looks of it.

Just a quick update of what happened since my last post.

During the test drives we noticed that the engine ran lean in higher RPMs.

I am using 370 primary injectors and 270 secondary ones.

Trying to find injectors with a 20% higher capacity, we were not lucky.

We turned to Markus of PUK and he managed to harmonise the injection time of the Red Race chip I am using from my old set up to fit the 20% larger engine.

Now everything is how we want it. Great work Markus, and quick. too :thumbup:

Once the engine bay is all cleaned up and looking good, I'll be posting you new pitcures

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Ok, upon the request of particular gentlemen ( especially from the Nehtherlands :) ) I present you the final result :)

I am sure the pictures are self explaining to this very knowledgeble forum, just want to point out some details.

As my Pipercross Viper needed extra attention in terms of proper fit and function, the right side wall of the engine bay was completely

re-designed and the induction system is no integrated with no extra bend or de-routing for optimum airflow to the turbo.

As far as the engine goes, we managed to adjust the fuel mapping and the boost with the help of PUK. Thank you Markus

My GT 3076 R BB turbo seems to have just the right size for the 2.6l engine and we are getting boost at 3000 rpm.

Together with the higher torque of this engine I expect some real driving fascination once the car has been driven in

after the next 1500 km or so.

I will definitely post you vids, sound files and pefrormance record files as soon as we can max out the engine.

BTW : just noticed I had started the project in January 2007 !! How time flies and money flows (mostly through one's fingers )

Cheers

Stefan

post-1772-1241003245_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1241003580_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1241003598_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1241003625_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1241003640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Ok, upon the request of particular gentlemen ( especially from the Nehtherlands :) )

Think you mean Belgium :) ?

Looks SUPERB Stefan ! These are great modifications you did ! Must be the most powerful 4-pot Esprit I guess ...

A real pitty that you can't make it next Friday :)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Beautiful! I'm so glad to see you're finally done!!!! Congrats!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Think you mean Belgium :) ?

Looks SUPERB Stefan ! These are great modifications you did ! Must be the most powerful 4-pot Esprit I guess ...

A real pitty that you can't make it next Friday :)

Damned !!!!!!

Why do I keep putting you into Holland. Mea culpa, Hans :)

Yes it's a pitty I cannot attend the season's opening party of LCD. But I am sure we will meet this year on the one or other occasion. promise.

Thank you all for your kind comments. If she drives as good as she looks now it's going to be a real rush.

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

• 1 month later...

Ok folks

Here comes a compehensive update of what has happened since my last post.

My car is still with R&B to get everything running at full potenial. Many test km are behind us. Mind you that there is no experience out there

which we can fall back on dealing with a 2.6l 910 engine combined with a standard ECU and a modified Sport 300 chip from PUK.

Generally the car runs like a bat out of hell. Engine is a smooth as silk, acceleration sensational.

Yet, the following areas needed and still need intensive addressing :

1. External boost controller

I am using a HKS model which came with a very rudimental manual which took us very long to understand it's programming.

After solving this we are now able to run the car at up to 1.6 bar, with 1.2 to 1.3 delivering a sensational driving experience.

2. Fuel mapping

As the engine is now ca 18 % larger, we logically looked for larger injectors to match. Those were not to find so I turned to Markus at PUK who

re-programmed my chip and extended the injection times as the engine naturally was running very lean in higher rpms.

It looked good at the beginning, but once we increased the boost it still went lean.

We then looked at the fuel pressure guage, which can be raised to some extend to solve this problem.

Again we came to a dead end as the stock part is not capable of producing the fuel pressure we need to avoid above mentioned problem.

I now have a fully adjustable new fuel pressure guage ( see piccies ) and we have done some testing over last weekend.

3. Cool water pressure

During the tests of last weekend we found the fuel pressure guage now delivering what we need, but the coolant pressure rose to 1.5bar. (1 bar is normal)

Before, Markus had already lowered the fans' starting temp to 88

post-1772-1246273758_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1246273775_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1246273809_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

Looks ACE Stefan, happy for you you're getting nice results, it's really a 1 of a kind car :sick:

Going strong that is !

On the first possible occasion, me wanne see this beast :whistle: ...

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Good stuff. You

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Looks ACE Stefan, happy for you you're getting nice results, it's really a 1 of a kind car :whistle:

Going strong that is !

On the first possible occasion, me wanne see this beast :P ...

Thanks Hans, the day will come :sick:

Good stuff. You

Mind if I cut in ?

why couldn't you find bigger injectors?

I found a set of

Lucas 48lb

4/Set $225.00

2.5Ohm

and a set of

Siemens 3102 55#

(575cc/min. at 3 bar,

43.5 psi.) -

Low resistance: 2.5 Ohms

$312.50

also found many different sizes of secondary injectors from 200cc/min-300cc or higher

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Travis

These are very large injectors.

Wonder how they work ?

I based my search on the fact that now I have 370s for primaries and 270 for secondaries.

This would put me somewhere in the 400 to 450 range, but there is nothing available.

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

with 4 stock primaries at 370cc/min and 2 secondaries at 270cc/min, you only have 8.6% more fuel, at the stock fuel pressure.

With increased fuel pressure, you'll of course get more, but how much? Did you have the injectors flow tested at higher pressure?

If you are still going for 500hp... you'll need alot more than 8% more fuel!

Given stock injector duty cycles (and timings) you'd need 5 (assuming 4x primaries and 2 smaller secondaries averaged) 575cc/min injectors for ~360hp.

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

For 450hp, you'd need even more...

Though going with larger primaries can lead to poor low throttle running conditions, so many go with larger secondaries... But you'd need some big secondaries for 450-500 hp

A guy named Burt Waite in Arizona got his Esprit SE up over 600hp (many mods), but had to have 10fuel injectors with 2 fuel computers...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Not very technically minded I'm afraid but recall that my old RS500 had two injectors per cylinder is it not worth looking at this as an alternative. Smaller injector better control maybe!!