Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EBPV open or closed? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

EBPV open or closed?

Hi guys

Long time away I know, but I'm now out of mourning for my beloved V8 :)

Got myself a trusty S4s in MNY yummy!!!!!!

Quick question to get the juices flowing......

It still has the exhaust back pressure valve fitted, although the hardware to open and close it are missing.

Does the spring hold the valve fully open or fully closed??

It is lacking in power and noticed this when it was being MOT'd

Thanks

ps anyone got an engine cover as mine is missing!!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Glyn.

Any pics to post?

Can't answer your query, but hopefully see you soon

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Neither the actuator or corresponding spring are fitted in that photo. If these are still in place but not working for whatever reason, the flap will be shut leading to a loss of power and a reluctance to rev cleanly.

Guys, thanks for your replys, so thats one problem to fix!

Its so good to be back!!!

Photos will follow but needs repainting - god I pick em !!

Thanks Dan and Simon for the pics

Long bolt for now and a spacer when i know what other money needs spending and where!!

TTFN

Welcome back Glynn :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I'm planning to fit one to mine but alter the controls in an attempt to use it as a noise control mechanism. The idea is, when it's closed the noise from the exhaust will be slightly reduced due to the increase in gas flow resistance. I can either control it electronically by the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the valve, or by direct control, either electronci stepper motor or good old cable.

That way when I want to drive with less noise (residential area early morning or late at night) I can reduce the noise, then put it back to near normal when I'm on the open road.

Anybody else tried anything similar?

Bibs have you considered something to reduce your noise level to below 114dB?

• Gold FFM

The two mechanics over here in Melbourne both advise getting rid of the EBPV as they fail. Their answer is to remove the unit, remove the butterfly plate from the shaft and reinstall the unit. Problem solved and if the car gets looked at by anyone, it all looks legit.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)