Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Overheating - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Overheating

Hi guys

First post, so here goes. Got my Esprit on Bank Holiday Monday and love every minute driving it, but... as the minutes tick by the list of jobs grows! however one problem is getting in the way of driving the car - intermittant overheating.

Basically sometimes when I start the car the handbrake light stays on and it overheats really quickly. This is accompanied by the brake pedal being really hard (like the servo wasnt working) and the fan blowing harder than normal. This happened again last night and was limping home between 20 minute stops, all of a sudden the brake light goes out, the temp guage drops from max to 80, the brake pedal becomes normal and the car is fine - how random is that ?

Anyway, desperate for an answer and all suggestions welcome so I can take it out again

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial guess, if it was an early car would be you have a problem with the vacuum line from the manifold. I cannot recall if the 1990 cars have a vacuum pump or still rely on induction vacuum for that.

If it's a pump derived vacuum then I'd say your pump is on the way out, or the belt driving it has issues (even more likely) as the belt slipping would cause the low vacuum, which can alter the way the heater flaps operate and the ineffective servo assistance, and if the belt driving the water pump slips, there's your heater issue

Andy.

PS.

Have a look in the events section under Anglian Esprit Group.

if you're up for a curry, or even just able to say Hi, pop along and see us.

Andy

Sounds just like i had a few months ago.Problem was the belt driving the vacuum pump.It was worn and was slipping.New belt solved the problem immediately.Cheap fix anyway.

More info available here on the forum since this is not an unknown problem

Adrian

I had my vacuum pump fail.. they do go now from now and then.

If it has gone, you should be able to hear it as a loud 'honking' sound!

I agree with the other though. Probably the belt slipping. May have some oil dripping in that area, as it's not unheard of for the Esprit engines to leak a bit of oil :D

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good diagnosis guys

The belt was indeed loose - in fact its a miracle anything was being powered by it at all as one of the bolts on the vacuum pump had come out and the other was loose, so it was just sort of hanging there, half held in place by the belt. The guy who fixed it was cursing as the undertray wouldnt come off so he had to fix it through the observation hole - one of the joys of Esprit ownership!

Nevermind been for a quick blat the evening - fantastic :rant: