Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Horse Power - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Horse Power

rogerch

I had another quick run today, seeing up to 0.9 bar on the gauge (didn't hold it there long), any ideas on how much horse power I might be getting at that pressure. To be honest I think I can accelerate faster by grabbing the next gear sooner, around 4900 rpm and 7-8 bar. But it's good to see what it will do.

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good dyno is the only accurate way. I doubt the gauge is 100 % and without a chargecooler (assuming it's a standard car) I'd be curious about whether that value is correct. Standard cars only produce about 0.85bar on overboost, and a bit more if it's pre revved at the lights.

Get it in a rolling road, it's pretty interesting and will give you much more of an idea.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I doubt I was getting .67 until recently when I discovered the waste gate had not been sealing and therefore loosing pressure. Now by stealth, dexterity and pure guess work I have got the pressure up to about .85. These are only small turbos and I doubt I could sustain .85 so I have yet to be convinced of the need for BOV since one of it's functions is to stop the impeller stalling when the waste gate opens, and under normal aggressive driving I can't get it to pop.

But the point of my post was see if anyone could guestermate my HP, we do have a dyno in Coffs Harbour, but the guys that run it don't enjoy a flash reputation. Now if some one were to say "Rog I think you may be getting around 285 (which I don't think I am) I could say OK close enough to my objective, stop playing with it BEFORE I blow it up. This is school holidays, I'm bored and dangerous! :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I over boosted my 88 once... you can tell it's not getting enough fuel... it's very obvious (detonation is easy to hear when the engine is right next to your head)... I would think that you're getting somewhere around 240-250hp.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Even at those pressures I it wouldn't hit that mark again and again, without the intercooler the MAT would be through the roof.

IF the gauge is reading right at 0.9 bar you should be about 260 odd - any age issues with the engine.

If I had an SE I'd like to see 265-270 at that pressure on a good engine, but that is with an ecu.

Its the inlet temp I would be concerned with - water injection ?

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I had my non-intercooled turbo dynoed just after the last bit of work. It ran 221h.p. at the rear wheel with 217 ft-lb torque.

Car is running a pretty much open exhaust, modified header, K&N filter with the air inlet going direct to the box, hotter coils, and S4 valves.

I believe the tunning could be tweaked a bit to get some more out of it but that was not possible at the time prior to the dyno.

I have a set of vernier cam pulleys waiting to go on which will help to dial it up a bit.

The head was also milled down a bit to raise compression and the turbo has been re-built with better bearings and rotor.

The most noticeable improvement in performance has been a faster reving motor. that may be in part due to the lightened flywheel as well.

H.P. and torque numbers would probally be higher if the engine bottom was fresher, currently at 98.5K miles on original rings.

According to one of the factory gents who came to a national event we had here a couple of years back, the 4 pot engine should be able to hit 300+ horsepower safely with good reliable street usage.

Maybe someday.

don't put a 20 years old car on the dyno

yust keep on believing it still has the HP like stated when new (+ the upgrades)

it's nicer to talk about + 40 hp than about -80 hp

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Hi Rens, been wondering where you got to. T'was it not you who bet me I would be smoking again before Christmas 19days to win your bet, it was a bottle of Chivas Regal wasn't it. :w00t: By February I will have saved enough for the re-spray, I take your advice, "I claim 285 hp" it's a nice number.

Hi Roger

in my country we allways pay our depts

but

i believe you didnt take the bet

tell me if i'm wrong

i do have respect for you if your still a non smoker

btw

i'll read your answer after 10 januari

i'm stepping in the plane tomorrow

my wife is happily and i'm wed for 25 years\

we are doing a 4 week tour in the carribean

Paris/martinique/barbados/ st lucia and st vincent & grenadines

cheers

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Anyone who can stay married for 25 years has my :animier: enjoy the "honeymoon"

I had another quick run today, seeing up to 0.9 bar on the gauge (didn't hold it there long), any ideas on how much horse power I might be getting at that pressure. To be honest I think I can accelerate faster by grabbing the next gear sooner, around 4900 rpm and 7-8 bar. But it's good to see what it will do.

Roger :animier:

Are you sure thats bar, and not 9psi your seeing.. it would answer a few questions here... in any case, from my experience, a good S3 (at least the ones dyno'd here) will pull about 215-225hp and 220-230 lbft at 9.5 to 10 psi with peak hp at 5400-6000rpm

I agree with the others.. If your seeing 0.9 bar.. thats a lot from a T3 with no IC.

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

I am sure it's bar, however I can't vouch for the accuracy of the gauge, .9 was brief, but I can see 8-8.5, or 11.5-12 PSI but there seems little advantage in revving it past 5000, maybe even less. I suspect the poor little T3 can't do it for long. In fact I suspect you could weld the waste gate shut and still not blow the engine. (but I'm not going to try it)

However in all this, a complete overhaul of the inlet tract K&N filter turbo adjustments (should that be playing with) it has gone from a fast car, to "we have lift off".

<_<

never tooo much....

estimate goes... 390......

sorry, offtopic ...

@ Olaf : I've tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full ... :)

cheers,

Hans

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -