IGNORED

Old Top Gear Esprit reviews

jackal2513

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

More please if there is any more. I've looked for ages on the web to find something on the S4.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

More please if there is any more. I've looked for ages on the web to find something on the S4.

Michael.

I know the feeling :shock:

Recently I've found a guy that sells original brochures, I think he has some on S4 as well

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Hmmmm.... a surprisingly average review from Jezza. Maybe he wasn't having a good day back then, he liked the S4, and he paid good homage to the blue 51plate V8 in the final top gear review (and that was pretty much the same car as the silver one he was driving then).

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

After 8 years of ownership I watch something like that and still struggle to believe I actually have one..

God I know what you mean, still seems like yesterday I used to play the tape recording of that show in a continuous loop. The prospect of ownership was so far away it seemed impossible.

As for the bad review of the silver V8, well Jezza is just another journo at the end of the day. He'll say anything that comes into his head to stir things up regardless of facts. In his book of "100 greatest cars" or something he said he liked the Fulvia without ever having driven one. Well he'd obviously forgotten the entire episode of Top Gear devoted to Lancia a couple of years before where he drove a bunch of them. I think during that period he was pretty arsey about a lot of stuff (remember the Vectra?) I put it down to the fact he was busy having babies at the time (well his wife was anyway :shock: )

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Much appreciated. Must say I agree with the "which way is the wind blowing this week" Clarkson comments. Love the quick switch to a windmill and cows in the S4 video.

Edited by Hunt

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Much appreciated. Must say I agree with the "which way is the wind blowing this week" Clarkson comments. Love the quick switch to a windmill and cows in the S4 video.

What show/episode whas the S4 test taken from ? Can't seem to find it ...

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Hey, don't know if it's old news but while clicking though the 'related' videos

there is one of castle combe last year, featuring just about everybodys esprit

and a few of us too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E4OUMZzg9ik&...feature=related

I'm even on there, and i'm not saying who it is, but somebody clever has got an

S4 there with a reg number just two didgits away from the yellow top gear S4...

:shock:

guys

the sheep/windmill thing was a bit of another programme that i accidentally recorded on top

it was some gary rhodes cookery show where he was also driving a yellow S4 through norfolk

he did actually own an S4S in real life and was quite a fan

i have a nice little clip filmed at the factory ... will upload at some point

Thanks for posting those clips...

I have the V8 one on tape somewhere...i first watched it when i was a mangy student, dreaming of owning an S4 and it was at that moment i decided i hated Clarkson with an absolute passion...when he is busy slagging it off and then he says 'i haven't finished yet...' and at the end he says 'the TVR cerbera...' in that stupid tone, that got my blood boiling...also where my resentment of Ferrari comes from i think...(i have many issues, it's true) they always seemed to compare the V8 to the 355 in every single magazine review...

I have, of course, come full circle now and i actually love the guy and his opinions on everything :lol:

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

at that moment i decided i hated Clarkson with an absolute passion...when he is busy slagging it off and then he says 'i haven't finished yet...' and at the end he says 'the TVR cerbera...' in that stupid tone, that got my blood boiling...

I still remember watching his first slot on Top Gear, he was driving an Alfa 164 but instead of it being about the car it was a rant about congestion in London - yawn.

Probably showing my age but I quite liked the old Raymond Baxter style of science/motoring programmes (always reassuring when the guy talking engineering to you flew Spitfires :lol: ). Distinctly remember thinking out loud, God this bloke is trying REALLY hard to get a full time job on telly, and we'll never see the end of him. Didn't realise at the time how true that would be.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream