Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
car failed.... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

car failed....

esprithk

oh boy, my car parks at the 7th level of a car park above the train station.

well, right after a high speed midnight run in early Dec 2008 (doing between 100-140 for 45minutes).

the car starts to act strangely.

and it dies, and won't start up after the run (right at 5th level of the car park)

I managed to start it again after 15minutes waiting.

*engine warning light on, radiator fans warning light on, battery light on

I was too busy to take care of it, so just let it staying in the car park until tonight.

so I paid the parking for the 1st quarter of 2009, and I drove it between 6 & 7th levels to give the car some running..

and after about 7 circles, it dies again....(I managed to park it at a spot before engine failure)

*engine warning light on, battery light on

well, I was already planning to take it to a shop for a full check up, but it seems to be very serious

(initially, I and my friend thinks that it may be the "flywheel sensor" failure)

I decide to take it to the shop immediately to sort things out.

for the record,

first of all, I have great difficulty in engaging the "Reverse gear" since the complete overhauling

(the rest of things run very good)

NOTE: my transmission has both the 'GTO Racing modified primary shaft (thicker and in one-piece instead of 2)'

and the ATB LSD.

this time, I will take out the gearbox and fix everything permanently.....

(give me very big trouble for not able to shifting into "Reverse" 7 out of 10 trys. it is crazy!)

*by the way, even I have installed the "enlarged" radiator from RAMSPOTT & BRANDT, the car has overheating problem.

well, the header tank is rusty so I already have a Stainless Steel tank made in HK

I will sort out the "overheating" problem, too.

NOW, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS HOW DO I GET THE CAR TO THE GROUND LEVEL?

AS THE TOW TRUCK CANNOT ACCESS MY CAR AT THE MOMENT DUE TO LIMITED IN SPACE

keep posting about latest update....

**some good news, I have joined the "HK Classic Car Club" so many car meetings will keep me busy...HEHE

Edited by esprithk

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a few people to help push it to the exit and roll it down the ramps car is not heavy so even two people should manage it when its not busy. as for the overheating could be air locked needs to be jacked up to let air out, coul also be battery and alternator

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Can you freescan it? The warning light could point to some sensor

or other that might be easy to change with car where it is.

Your train stations must be better than ours, i would not leave my

Esprit for one night.

:)

oh..the train station is ok. there are other porsches and classic cars there.

anyway, we managed to drive it out of the car park after a battery rescue.

**the car died 3 times before we decided to run 2 batteries side by side.

well, it worked, and I saved the towing charge by driving it to the shop directly (about 10 minutes drive).

as my car had been running a 90 minutes drive in early Dec when it died anyway.

and after the initial checkup today, it is most likely the alternator is not working.

so, the alternator will be rebuilt.

also, I will fix the oil leaking in transmission.

the reverse gear problem may be due to bad assembly of the shift translator, as there is oil leaking at the links.

hopefully, this is the cause of the gear shifting problem and not need to dissemble the gearbox again.

other little thing to fix:

(1) left door window frame adjustment (water leaking under bad weather condition)

(2) raise the car height by 1 inches (PUK racing suspension kit, the car was sitting too low and I want to upgrade my alloy wheels to larger size now)

(3) sorting out the problem of the door mirrors' motors (I cannot adjust the electric mirror now)

(4) sorting out the door windows (they are not going up & down smoothly)

(5) installing stainless steel header tank

now, due to the very low exchange rate ( GBP 1 to HK$10.80)

I am really thinking about the Hi-Spec braking kit and the carbon fiber racing chairs now...

*saving more than 30% from 2007 prices.

Glad to hear you got it out of the car park :censored: With problems like this, you never know if it's going to cost you a few dollars to fix.. .or thousands.

Some of the things on your list you can do yourself if you have the right tools... and lots of advice from the forum :P

Fixing up the leak in your transmission will probably involve removing the boot floor, so it would be a good time to have the gearbox translator attended to.. and the header tank replaced.

There are lots of tips on the forum regarding doors, mirrors and windows.

Good luck!

Cheers.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

ok....problem evaluation

(1) the problem of failing to engage reverse gear is due to shorter wiring.

so we have to take out the interior to gain access and re-adjust the length of cable

(2) air pump for clutch is leaking oil...*will replace certain metal part to solve this problem

(3) alternator is busted, needing to purchase the BOSCH AL49X unit to replace the Valeo one

(4) leaking of oil at Sealing of transmission output shafts. *already have the new parts

(5) some of the meters on the dashboard has no lighting. *will repair this

(6) install new "Stainless Steel" header tank

Eric - it must be alternator season! I've just replaced mine (along with a clutch!) as has another local owner by me.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

update again.

fxxk, the "gearshifting control cables (total 2 cables)" is seriously worn out due to excess heat.

the last car shop did not know how to find special heat isolating tube to protect the cables.

now, this new (and more professional) shop can get this heat isolating tube for me

and this tube is commonly found in other very high performance cars, such as Lambo, Ferrari, and Porsche...

shxt, I am so upset about how the last car shop treated my car (what a poor job they have done)

anyway, the cables are cheap, but the labour costing is bloody expensive...(so many things have to dissemble to access the full control cables.....!!! I am screwed......and upset....

also, I failed to locate the Bosch alternator in HK (it is not available in HK anymore)

therefore, the car shop will rebuild one for me.

Edited by esprithk

shxt, I am so upset about how the last car shop treated my car (what a poor job they have done)

As a general rule, no one but yourself will treat the car the way you want it to be treated. Even the so-called official Lotus repair shops get it wrong sometimes.

I'm no handyman, but over the last year or two, I have surprised myself at the stuff I have fixed (properly). You can do quite a lot with basic tools (screwdrivers, spanners, drills, etc)

Good luck!

Cheers.

Ian.