Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Chargecooler pipes blocked? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Chargecooler pipes blocked?

Hi again,

Got a few problems sorted by the experience of a few good people so I thought I would try asking for some ideas about what to do with another problem that has come to light!

When we took the engine out we found that the ali chargecooler pipes that run through the body of the car were blocked and corroded up, the radiator is ok and it looks like the pump has not worked for a number of months, Im going to change it to an electric pump, anyone had a new pump or had the same problems? can anyone recomend an electric pump from experience?

The only problem with removing the engine is you always find more jobs than you first thought :)

Mick

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I unblocked my SE was to GENTLY run water through it from a hose, I say gently as you could end up bursting something under pressure.

I removed the chargecooler body and lushed that, then pulled the pipes off the rad and flushed the pipework, finally I carefully flushed the rad, all in reverse so any bloackage should come back out - if there is a blockage you need to be gentle in the radiator or you could damage it.

Mine had a lot of rust in it from the tanks, but on the later cars you'll probably find it could be more along the lines of an oily gluey mess which is oil seeping through the chargecooler pump body - and or bits of the impellor if it is damaged.

Electric pump is your best bet - you could deliberate about which one for weeks, I did, and when I got one for my second esprit I just bought a 50 quid jobby off ebay and found out it had similar performance.

Rememebeberbebr flow isn't necessarily more=better so you dont have to go and spend a fortune on a screaming pump that can deliver 300 litres a second, you wont see the benefits.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk