Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
car running bad - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

car running bad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello bibs well the reason i took it for a run was to get the stumbeling, lack of power in 4th and 5th, so it would have been a long extension lead, as for the speed, theres a lot of private roads around, any suggestion as yet, i dont get the petrol smell all the time only some times.

It's Oogies turn to boogie

First of all I must start by saying I am definetly no expert in these matters! The best have I managed to do is compare your graph to a brief run I recorded in my car along with much referral to Dermot's excellent manual.

The thing that really leapt out at me was how high the BLM value is on your graph. If I understand the manual correctly, any figures over 128 indicates a lean run. On my graph I never see more than 120, on yours it goes up to 255!

At some points when BLM is around 245, the fuel injectors PW goes to 0. This seems odd to me, in my simplistic approach to how things work, I would expect the ECU to be trying to chuck fuel in to richen things up rather than going the other way? Certainly from the graph of my beastie, the injector PW seems to increase slightly with BLM value.

Unfortunately I do not know what these figures point to as a possible suspect, indeed I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon :)

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

I've been looking at the graph with the TPS curve added in. Injector PW follows TPS fairly closely which makes sense I guess. Foot of throttle, injectors stop squirting... Afraid I'm definetly out of my depth here!

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

well thanks to everyone who chipped in, Dermot thanks for looking at the log i will investigate the battery (although its only a couple of months old and so is the alternator) so i will look at the earths and leads as well as there is a a catch tank bracket quite close to the back of the alternator and also the belt tension, so perhaps it is earthing out. failing that i will look at getting a ecu, or see if it can be repaired.

once again thanks for the advice

update

well i have had the alternator off today as well a checking teh earths and cleaning up the terminals, car seemed again better, the bolt on the tensioner had snapped on the alternator, but this was not visiable from the back as all of it was still there and the alternator could be moved by hand. so the car seems a bit better (still in learning mode) i have noticed that i can hear the fuel pump more when i turn on the ignition, but it sounds like it is struggling so perhaps two problems, i will inspect the fuel pump in the morning then get some more readings

hello Jim, well after driving teh car this morning for about 200 yards i turned it around and parked it up. i used the valve on the fuel rail and it only dribbled out so i thought no point putting a pressure gague on it , so i thought bugger it new pump ordered today should be here in the next day or so, although im sure the price of these pumps has gone up in the last week by about