Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Vacuum Pump going ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Vacuum Pump going ?

Newts

Developed a whining noise from the passenger side engine bay yesterday and last night noticed my brake padal was a bit firmer than normal, making me think the vacuum pump might be the cause.

I have heard these are no longer available, does any one have any suggestions or thoughts ?

Colin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was replaced recently with a brand new Lotus item, they are readily available unless something has changed in the last couple of months. You can alternatively have your pump reconned, I believe PNM offer this service.

Are your heater flaps diverting? Is there a 'chirping' noise? You can test for vacuum with a simple vacuum gauge on one of the lines in the rear relay panel.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

No Bibs havent had the other problems like when it nearly fell off.

The noise may be related to the clutch problem also experienced yesterday, but the harder pedal and poorer brake performance made me think of the vacuum pump.

At least they are still available. It's booked in for inspection at the factory day tomorrow, so they may be able to confirm for me

Colin

The brakes could be the servo rather than vacuum pump but if they measure the -ve pressure you'll know for sure. I think, off the top of my head, you're looking for -18mmHg or thereabouts. I'm sure though that the heater flaps don't require as much of a vacuum as the brakes so it still might be the pump.

Obviously with a brake problem like this my advice would be to trailer the car to the factory as driving could be very dangerous unless you're both sure it's not going to deteriorate and you've a solid right thigh for the pedal!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.