Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Broken clamp ring - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Broken clamp ring

I finally got around to fitting the new SS exhaust hanger on the back of the gearbox that I bought from SJs last year. My old one had rusted so badly the back box left ring mount has nothing to grip on - many on here having witnessed the ring dangling loose on the pipes after an enthusiastic run. Snag is, one of the semi-triangular clamp rings for the joint between flexi pipes and back box - the one on the fatter flexi pipe - had broken and fell off as I undid the bolts. The fracture is across two of the three holes so one of the three sides is detached and the bracket is pretty much U/S as a clamp. Given the flare on the pipe end, and the flexi section further up, I'm guessing you cant just slide a new one on.

I suppose if I buy a new exhaust section it would come with the bracket on. Are there any other options for my problem? There's not really anything else wrong with that flexi section so it seems a shame to just have to bin it.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine did the same, I just welded it back together in situ. Thats about your only option as the flanges are clearly fitted before the flare is applied. I reckon one of these companies that makes bespoke exhausts could probably supply a new flange, which could then be cut and welded - if the original is too 'doggy' to weld.

I'd go with Steve's method, but you can also get exhaust clamp rings that are used on many French cars (others , they are almost a complete ring, with a small section made into two flanges where the bolt passes through. They can clamp a flange joint quite effectively.

Thanks guys. I've not yet got a welder (or requisit skill!) so I'll try and hunt down one of these frenchie clamps. Cheers :o

Ahhh. If thats the thing Andy I'm afraid I dont understand how I'd use it. The flared pipe end needs to be held tight up against the bevel on the back box pipe. OE does it by clamping two ring brackets together one on the flexi pipe which wont fit over the flare (now broken on mine) bolted to another behind the bevel ridge on the back box pipe. (Oh for a picture (!!!)) I can see that I'd get the French one on the pipe, but not how I'd then secure one pipe to the next (ie how to bolt it to the companion ring on the back box pipe).

I'm trying to think how to how this as an image just using characters on the keyboard- and struggling.

The french clamp has a point opposite the bolt flanges where it can bend, so you remove the bolt, open the clamp up and slip it over the pipe and then over the flanges, pop the bolt back in and secure.

It works in section like this (if it works in different fonts)

clamp

_

/ \ clamp with one bolt, perpendicualr to the tube direction

--o\-------

Exhaust tubes

--o/------

\_/ clapm with that one same bolt perpendicualr to tube direction.

clamp

Whereas the OE system

|--| clamps with bolts parallel to the tubes

-o\----

Exhaust tubes

-o/----

|--|

clamps with bolts parallel to the tubes

One way to think of the french car style clamp is to think of a hose clip that isn't made of a flat strap, it has a U section, so pulls the flanges to gether as the circumference gets smaller.

Thanks again Andy. I'm really sorry but I still dont ged it - Doh!

I can see how the french clamp could act like a u-bolt and clamp overlaped tube sections together, but I still dont get how its effective for an end to end type fitting. Of course if thats all it did, then everyone would use a cheap u-bolt clamp so I can tell I'm missing something important.

I'll pop down one of the local exhaust places and see if I can find one to play with and understand - rather than wasting any more of your time!

It's very hard to try and explain using a diagram typed on a keyboard, so probably a lot harder to try and guess what I mean.

Good idea, although they probably will not have the size in stock they should have one of that type and then be able to get the right size one later.

OK - New idea

Take 3 pieces of 1/8" mild steel and make 3 identical curved sections with the 5/16" hole in each end. Each of the 3 bolts will then pass through each overlapped section and voila! new 3 piece clamp.

cheers Steve

Ooooo you engineer you.....now where did I put my 1/8th mild steel... :):P

Actually fabrication is a great idea. Maybe I should just get a welder after all...