Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
fuel smell - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

fuel smell

imafiga

......I have no fuel smell, driving down the road feeling great, crack my windows about 2 inches and THERES THAT @#$$&!! Smell again. I conducted a "sniff test" underneath the fuel tanks, and stuck my nose in the seat blet slots as far as I could and could not smell anything.......it's really driving me mad!!! Everything as far as tubing seems to have been replaced, and when I bought it in June 08 it had just went through $4K of work. I am still trying to find the Fuel vents and the charcoal canister to check them ( I'm not mechanically gifted) so ALL help is welcomed.

Regards,

Anthony p_up.gifp_report.gif

p_mq_add.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought mine was sorted, then it was driven with the sunroof open and the smell was terrible. I found mine to be the seal around the pump (submerged in tank type). It could be many things, but first try and find the area. To achieve this you will need to remove the trims that are over the tank areas, these are the ones that are near the rear side windows and bodywork that the rear hatch shuts to.

Once you open these up I'd expect one side to be much worse than the other for fuel smell. That will help you narrow the search down. The breather hoses are the best bet, but if you've not had the covers off to get near the tanks and cannister, I'd guess the hoses are split near the tanks.

Andy

• Gold FFM

One other thing worth looking at: I'd done the lot and still had a fuel smell. Trevsked suggested I check my filler cap rubbers - they were rock hard and disintegrating. Replaced them and it stopped! Worth a look?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 2 weeks later...

Nasty smell.

There has been a few topics posted on fuel smell and the offending usual locations - try the search function. I think from memory there was diagrams of fuel breather pipes etc, which is one of the most common problems. Not sure of your Esprit model system.

breatherpipes.jpg

Iain :)