Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tappet noise - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tappet noise

davevr6car

Hi folks,

Started the S4s today, hasn't been started in about 2 months.

The car has always been a bit tappetty on start up, but now I think it's still abit tappetty when warm.

I have never heard another S4s running besides my own so I have nothing to compare it to.

Below is a link to a short youtube clip of my engine running today.

Does the engine sound normal, or a bit tappetty, or something else?

Any help or advice.

cheers

Dave

Youtube clip of engine running

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check the power steering pump is not loose, you can check it through the access hole in the bottom engine tray, jack the back of the car up as high as you can, use axle stands then you can get underneath it. If its loose it sounds like its the engine

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• 11 months later...

Mine sounds exactly the same atm. Weird: It only does it when it's warm, in my case ??? Anyhow, in Winter I'll let the cambelt be changed and btw. looked into the camhousing for valve-clearence...

Mine sounds similar to that at start-up but goes quiet after a couple of minutes as it warms up and the oil gets going. That and the extra sound effects from the choke and it's like starting up a Massey Ferguson.

Too many Toys are never enough !

As it's been standing I'd an oil and filter change using one of the recomended oils, like Castrol Edge 10/60. May not fix it, but it has done so for me in the past.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)