Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tires on a 90 SE - used any of these? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tires on a 90 SE - used any of these?

After some looking, I've found three possible tire candidates to fit a 90 SE with stock wheels. That 15" front sort of limits you... They are:

Goodrich g-force sport

Yokohama A100

Toyo Proxes T1R

Has anyone had any experience with any of these? I know very little about them, other than what's said online. These will be mostly for weekend driving. I'm somewhat interested in dry adhesion, but largely want to know if any of them will do something evil to the Esprit's handling.

Thanks for any words of wisdom...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ve Toyo Proxes , still ve 1 set for 2 years, on the road in rain in normal sense driving no problem, but on the wet track in turns u loose car immediately.

"Water" and Esprit is t good combination, than is beter to morphing to snail mode:)

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

My experience with the Proxes differs somewhat. They are incredibly grippy in the dry and when used in the wet leave the road behind you dry as they shift so much water. Never had an issue with them in the wet and that includes driven on Brands Hatch at speed. The only problem with them is the wear, mine lasted six months but that may not entirely be the tyres fault! :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Have had toyos on se rims and futura rims and they are great even in snow. they aren't expensive and therefore don't last if you track.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI - was wondering how you got on with the TOYOs and if you found any 50 profile or did you have to go for the 45? thanks NIJ

My car is an 89 but when matching front and rear 15" tires became unobtanum I upgraded to 16 rears. I've been running Khumo tires and am quite pleased with both the wet and dry performance as well as the longevity of the tires, Also, at approx. $800 for the set I am really pleased with their performance. For track days I went with Khumo DOT race tires and their performance is excellent. Also, around $800 for a set.

Tire noise is also very low. Don't know if you can get them on your side of the pond but if you can, they are worth the purchase.

• 10 months later...

Sorry, guys, I also have an 89 SE with standard rims (currently with Goodyear 215/50 ZR15 front and 245/50 ZR16 rear), but I don't understand what tyre size I should replace them with (Proxes or other brands)

I understand that you can't mix brands.

Re the Proxes T1R... Nothing available seems to match (exactly) either front or rear sizes

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-t1r

So...

On the front, do I fit the 215/45 84V's (7.0~8.0" rims) and make the gap between the wheel and the arches look bigger (ugh) or do I fit the 225/50 91V's (fatter, but slightly taller than standard)... or use another combination?

On the rear, do I fit the "245/45ZR16 94W" or the "245/55 ZR16 100W (26.4"dia)". The latter would fill my wheel arches better, but my speedo would underread by about 3% (I think), but I'm sure I could live with that.

My last set of tyres cost me about Australian $2000 because I had to airfreight them (nothing local in Australia and seamail not available at TireRack)

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.

Ian.

Edited by Qavion

• 1 month later...

I used Khumos and g-force on mine before buying S4 rims

just don't buy run-flats!

the Esprit is already a harsh ride, run-flats are bone jarring

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND