Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aftermarket wheels - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Aftermarket wheels

Hi all,

Im looking at fitting some aftermarket wheels to my S2.2 and wondered if any one has any experience with the Superlite 3 piece wheels (http://www.superlite-wheels.com/wheels/large/17.jpg)

or as option the Image wheels

(http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/wheels/large%20cast/bps_silver_18inch.jpg)

The move is partly to accomodate the newer tyre sizes and also to improve the look of the car generally. I looked at the spacer system and while it is attractive, not many places in Oz sell staggered wheel sizes.

Im guessing a few of you have covered this issue at some time and I would be grateful for any input.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't move the wheel size if I were you, or at least not far. From the current size to 17or bigger will alter the looks of the car, and will not fit with the age of the design, and there will be other issues as well. The stiffer side walls of the shorter tyres will alter the handling characteristics and result in a cliff effect for sideways grip rather than the gentle reduction in sideways give afforded by a higher side walled tyre. That way if you push the car hard while cornering you'll loose the early warning that tells you you're near the cornering limits.

I think the first style is more suited (superlites) than the second style due to age, those would have been around at the time/ soon after the Esprit design, but the second ones are very modern. Also consider slots, by firms such as Wolfrace, those would have been contemporary designs.

I can understand that the original tyre sizes are now hard to obtain in a good choice of manufacturers, and the wheels are very dated due to the very tall side walls, but so is the squared off wedge design of the Esprit.

Andy

Thanks for the input guys,

The fact is, I like the standard wheels and have just managed to get new tyres fitted. but having gone through an extended process doing this, I decided that Id like to have the ability to choose some good tyres with the same brand front and rear.

Ive seen photos of early Esprits with 17" rims and tyres and like the look of them. (Andy Hill and Paul Wendling) It also allows me to store the original wheels and tyres in case I ever decide to sell my car or fancy the original look.

I also posed the question to see if anyone had had any dealings with the companies mentioned hopefully to get some positive feed back reputation wise since the distances involved make it difficult to send things back to the manufacturer for rectification should they not be correct.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have turbo style Simmons 3 piece rims on my S2. Unfortunately Simmons have stopped production but there is bound to be someone else making custom rims in Oz?

Pictures by any chance?

:-)

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Hi Guys,

Simmons have as you say stopped production, and the only other locally manufactured wheels are the ROH venturo 3 piece wheels. I have since measured the car and ordered the wheels but there is significant lead time for delivery. so well see them around September probably. I ended up going for 8" wide fronts and 10" wide rears both 17" ( listen to the howls from the purists!)

Phil.

Philip,

Just had a look on the web for your wheels, good choice mate think they will suit the esprit well and look rather tasty :) , are you having the chrome/shiny outer edges. Look forward to some pics when you get them.

Regards danny

A

They are exactly the same colour and polished outer as the ones I have ordered, The rear rims on this "Z" car are 17 x 9 1/2" with a -19 offset I think mine ended up being 10" with a -15 offset the fronts are obviously a deep offset while mine ended up being about 17 x 8" wide with about a +25 offset. In essence the rears will have the same dish and extend slightly more inboard, while the fronts will still have some dish due to the style of centre while having less than the car pictured. Incidently that picture is the one that finally convinced me to buy these wheels.

Hi Mat,

While it may be argued that the larger wheels will impart more load to the suspension, In reality the tyres are only one inch wider than the ones being used now (225 X 60/14) The size which I intend to use is 255 X 40/17 isnt to much larger in fact. If I was wheelspinning and such regularly then perhaps it may have some what more of an impact. Nevertheless it will certainly be worth watching to see if any adverse effects show up.

I wasn't trying to be negative, so apologies if I seemed that way.

Its the lateral loading I was thinking of more. On the early cars with no top links, all those loads go through the driveshafts and UJs. As Andy said earlier, changing the rubber sizes is bound to affect that. Just wanted you to be aware that's all. Prevention is better than the cure! Just wanted you to keep a close eye on the UJs. Unless you keep looking it's easy to miss the first signs of failure.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I like mine, but then I am bias, 18 inch on the rear with 295 and 17 inch on the front with 245. and lowered 50 mm from standatrd, might not corner but it looks good, it all depands what you are after.

Enjoy choosing, Dave

I like mine, but then I am bias, 18 inch on the rear with 295 and 17 inch on the front with 245. and lowered 50 mm from standatrd, might not corner but it looks good, it all depands what you are after.

Enjoy choosing, Dave

wheels model, screw spacing, spacer or screw reduction?

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

• 6 months later...

Phil,

The wheels look great, I take it they where custom and dont need spacers! One thing im not keen on though is the red on the window surrounds! should be satin black but thats my personal opinion. Car looks very tidy, regards danny

A

Thanks for the comments guys. I still have the original speedlines fully reconditioned with near new tyres fitted safely stashed away in the corner of the garage.

Ive already bought the paint to do the window frames etc but havent got down to it yet.

The wheels are by ROH and are a nice product. They were very slow to deliver though (about 9 months from order placement). Widths are: Rear 10" with -15 offset, Front 8" with about a +20 offset. Tyres Yokohama S drive 255 x 40 by 17 rear and 215 X 40 by 17 front, No rubbing and the ride is smooth with no evidence of harshness issues. (the measurements are from memory and if anyone wishes the confirmed values i will look them up).