Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brand New Exhaust Manifolds - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brand New Exhaust Manifolds

gghc87

Brand New Exhaust manifolds for Turbo Esprit 1980 – 1987 (G Cars) and early non chargecooled Stevens Cars.

Part no. A910E2155K or D

We have been in lengthy discussions with Lotus After sales over the possibility of a small production run of the A910E2155K or D exhaust manifolds. As many of you will be aware these Manifolds have been out of production for a long time and old existing stock sold out some time ago.

Lotus After Sales has indicated that they may be prepared to authorise a limited run of 25 units which would be sold on a first come first serve basis, please note if demand is high then full LEF members would be given priory. The cost is yet to be confirmed but it is currently being estimated that this is likely to be in the region of

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1&2 : GGHC87

3: Bazza

4: 910esprit

Yes I'd be interested.

It seems to me that its worth putting your name down just to get them made. Even if you did not use it, you could sell it on in a year or so - There's not much point in having cash in the bank these days...

cheers Steve

5: Botus

any chance of some tyres and an electric aerial thrown in also?! :animier:

well done cliff

Edited by Laura

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

I'll take one for an 82 Turbo....sounds like a good investment!!

6: Molemot

Edited by Bibs

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Just to add...brilliant bit of negotiation, well done...and well done to Lotus for listening and going for it!! Should the deal benefit from some money up front, I could bankroll a bit of it as long as the sum came back out of ultimate sales...

Now go and talk to Goodyear!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If you want in, say so now as I'm about to email over 5,600 people telling them there's a limited run on these. Buy one now and store it, you may not get the chance in the future and the SJ option will be the only (expensive) option available to you.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

When are you looking at this coming to fruition?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Soon as we've got enough names we'll get the foundry to get casting, then the casts head to Lotus to be machined. The whole process from green light to delivery will probably be 6-8 weeks.

Hi Robin, I was thinking that you have sold your old girl for that italian beast?? :(

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

10. jimmybondi

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Nope - can't part with it!

As a thought...

Any metallurgist-ey types / experts out there know of anything they could do to them / additives to make them better this time?

There are 30 years of technological progression which have passed since they were first made! Has anyone suggested anything to them about anything which can be done to improve then?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

The foundry will use a better material so long as it doesn't deviate too much from the original and these manifolds will be constructed from 'HiSi-LoMo-SG' iron. It would be better to make them from perhaps a material like Nyresist (more nickel in Nyresist iron makes it slightly harder) however due to legislation if they deviate too far from the norm then they will have to be retested to fit emissions regulations, a

Just to repeat this may be a one off chance to get these made and it has taken a lot of effort to get this far. Lotus are in effect doing this as a favour to Esprit owners on the forum.

There are a lot of G Turbos and early Stevens cars out there and at some point sooner or later the manifold will go. If you don

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

If it can be shipped to Australia, count me in!

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

10. jimmybondi

11.rlc

12. Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Count me in! 1986 Lotus HCI Turbo Esprit.

Sounds like a great investment!

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

10. jimmybondi

11.rlc

12. Robert

13. markd

Quote Lots of research has been done, were not doing this blindly . I work in a foundry which is one of the last traditional foundries left we do a lot of vintage parts for all types of engineering, cars, planes, Steam trains, bikes ect i am working on a Riley 1927 manifold now . We are making up a new timber pattern then casting the manifold in Cast Iron for

Andrew, thank you for the input which I am sure it is well meant, as you seem to have a good knowledge on this subject, can you kindly advise who owns the original design pattern i.e copyright, which has been subject to considerable and exhaustive historic testing , on these proposed original specification manifolds which will be re-produced by the original foundry and machine finished at the factory making it an original Lotus Part?

Thanks

:)

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

10. jimmybondi

11.rlc

12. Robert

13. markd

Cliff

Didn't one of the universities in England do some research on behalf of lotus proving that this design basically sucked . . .the engineers at lotus were going with the equal length for each exhaust runner idea . . . being that it was better that each exhaust runner was best if it were the same length. Then when put on a supercomputer in the 90's this was proven to be just a bit of bad guesswork. I.e. the factory started making the new unit that had shorter length exhaust pips the farther back the head you went, so the last pipe was very short to the turbo . . .hence the production models changed and performance was better. I would much rather invest in someone that could make custom headers for this thing, it cannot be rocket science, stainless header pipes, standard turbo fitting . . . and bolts to the head . . . . but that is just my 2 cents. If someone wanted to stay original . . this is the way to go. And dealing with the factory to get these made . . .genius . . .

The material has no effect on emissions Andrew however being a component used to control emissions it is subject to legal regulations regarding emissions equipment insomuch that it must be certified to last 10 years of 100,000 miles. I suggest that your foundry as a retailer of emissions equipment look into this should you ever sell worldwide, especially in the USA.

This project is to enable people who use this manifold to be able to have ONE opportunity to purchase a replacement. If you wish to discuss the merits/demerits of the part please start a topic in the technical area. The manifold was used on 3,000 Esprits so there is demand, no-one is making any monetary profit from this project so please think of the efforts involved before offering your assumptions.

If we don't get enough for a minimum order, the only losers are you guys. I'm pretty amazed at what a struggle this is becoming bearing in mind what we're trying to achieve. It would be wonderful I'm sure to research new designs but we do not have the sort of money that would cost, especially when this component is for an engine used in a car from 1980 to 1988, it's not that attractive a proposition for further research investment.

7. SimonE

8. Thom_77

9. Evil_Dr_Fish

10. jimmybondi

11. rlc

12. Robert

13. markd

14. Mr _John111

I'm sure it's one of ''Murphy's laws'' that if I pass up this opportunity it'll be the very next part to fail.

Presumably it won't include the 'extension' that houses the external wastegate?!

John

John your assumption is correct but SW Lotus do currently make the wastegate adaptor Wastegate adaptor E910E1389F

so it is already avaliable

Edited by gghc87

Cliff