Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Well the Carlton's gone... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Well the Carlton's gone...

MPx

Even F had a tear in her eye as we dropped off the Carlton to its new owner in Wokingham last night. It was supposed to be a forever car....but things change. After 10 years - despite being very sad to not have it in the collection, I cant pretend that I'm not pleased to have offloaded the responsibility of keeping it going to someone else. They are awesome cars, but the parts situation is such that most bits are now bespoke made...and I'm no longer able to sustain that level of expense. Some amazing memories - some trips to europe - my brother-in-law blatting a slow line of traffic on the A303 and not realsing he hit nearly 150 by time he got past the last one :cry:. Doing the Bidlake Farm hillclimb challenge and hitting 121 by the bridge - previous all time records 104(Mitsi Evo6) and 105(My F150). A good lap for me of Castle Combe in my Esprit is 1.34. A bad lap in the Carlton (only tracked for one 6 lap session and I didn't manage a good one) was 1.28 with less than half of the corner's apexes hit! (I know proper drivers can do sub 1:20s easily)

IMG_1965.jpg

Just a privilidge to have had the thing for so long.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad for you mate, I Love them cars, atleast youve had the opportunity to own one.

I know of one thats been sitting on a driveway under a tarpaulin for many many years, don't think she'll ever move. Very sad...

Chunky Lover

It was supposed to be a forever car....but things change. After 10 years - I cant pretend

that I'm not pleased to have offloaded the responsibility of keeping it going to someone else.

I'm no longer able to sustain that level of expense.

Just a privilidge to have had the thing for so long.

I could have written that word for word about Leaving Esprit ownership mate. At least you

got out while you were enjoying the car and had not come to resent it for the expense.

And you still have toys left!

:cry:

One of my wish list cars, just love the two-fingured salute it was to the establishment when it was released.

Shame you had to let it go, but as you say they are not getting any cheaper to run !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

And the only Carlton I've "convoyed" part way back from Donington with!

Good to see you being able to do the brake upgrades on the Esprit and the Elan now too Mike, bet you'll still get bucket loads of fun for years to come.

Dave.

Very sad, what an amazing car that was but it certainly sounds like it's becoming a labour of love rather than an enjoyable ownership experience. When you're not happy to push the car for fear of not being able to repair or maintain it loses it's appeal.

Space in the garage Mike or is something planned?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Space in the garage Mike or is something planned?

Funnily enough I'm looking at another.....

.....tractor!

I'm after a little Aebi - its a Swiss mountain thing that could cope with the slopes here better than my Kubota.

AebiSteep.jpg

AebiSide.jpg

How things change eh! :cry:

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM

Just catching up a bit.

Like Peter, as Mike gave me the pleasure of a drive, also a little sad to see it go. I know seeing Esprits on the road are rare, but much rarer seeing a moving Lotus Carlton. Really is a fantastic car.

Hope shes gone to a good home.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!