Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Pressure Sender needed - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Pressure Sender needed

stevem

Hi

I was investigating the dodgy high oil pressure readings I have today and discovered the connections to the sender to be loose. I crimped new 1/4" LUCAR connectors onto the wires but when re-fitting them one of the spade terminals on the sender unit snapped off taking the whole binding post and wire tail with it. :sofa:

So now I need a new oil pressure sender 0 to 5 bar version for an 88 turbo. Does anyone know an alternative from another car that will work, or where I could get one at a reasonable price ? A second hand one will do fine.

I have stuck a 100ohm resistor on the sender wire and tied it to chassis for now, so the gauge reads a constant 3 bar instead of bending the needle on the end stop. I imagine it will stay like that for quite a while. The low oil pressure warning light still works OK from the senders other terminal - the idiot switch.

Cheers

Update - I found that SJ's have them for 64 pounds so I'll order one and fit it next time the oil filter is off to give me more access. There are plenty of VDO senders available on the net, and I have a VDO catalog showing the details, but I don't know what size thread the Esprit one has and they come in many different sizes.

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me I'd be tempted to fit a real one. A physical one plumbed in, not to hard, through the sill or the roof channel, never did like the electronic ones.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Thanks for posting that. I'll see if I can find one locally if not SJ's will be getting another order. cheers.

UPDATE: I managed to 'fix' it temporarily. When the nut and spade connector snapped off it left behind a very short enamal insulated copper wire sticking up out of the hole. I gently rubbed it with wet/dry paper to remove the enamel insulation and attached a wire with a very small crocodile clip and managed to get a good connection. The temporary wire has now been cable-tied to a nearby cable to prevent it from moving too much, and now it's working OK. I will replace the sender later when I have better access. I managed to do the 'fix' from underneath by feel only as it's impossible to see.

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !