Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S3 1981 restoration - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S3 1981 restoration

Well - I see what everyone else is saying about the V8 - if you want to get it on the road quicker - then the Lotus engine would be a slam dunk - but when I did my conversion ( BMW V12 ) it was more about building something I had envisioned in my head, rather than just a straight rebuild.

I also thought about the BMW V8 - If you can measure the length of the V8 from the front to the back - I can take a reference measurement off my car (I used the Citreon box) - but I can say that I have looked at the V8 engines in the wrecking yard and they are fairly large - the oil pan juts forwards for some reason.

It has taken me a long time to get where I am, and there were days where I wanted to toss in the towel - but I kept at it and eventually got to the point where the car can be driven (I still need an exhaust) - along the way I became a big BMW fan (I also have an e36 M3) - and have worked allot of BMW stuff into the Lotus (like the gauge cluster, trip computer etc...)

I am in no rush though - and I keep telling my wife - if I didn't have the Lotus to work on, what would I do? Gamble, drink, smoke and womanize like her friends husbands?

Needless to say - she doesn't complain about the Lotus anymore.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - I see what everyone else is saying about the V8 - if you want to get it on the road quicker - then the Lotus engine would be a slam dunk - but when I did my conversion ( BMW V12 ) it was more about building something I had envisioned in my head, rather than just a straight rebuild.

I also thought about the BMW V8 - If you can measure the length of the V8 from the front to the back - I can take a reference measurement off my car (I used the Citreon box) - but I can say that I have looked at the V8 engines in the wrecking yard and they are fairly large - the oil pan juts forwards for some reason.

It has taken me a long time to get where I am, and there were days where I wanted to toss in the towel - but I kept at it and eventually got to the point where the car can be driven (I still need an exhaust) - along the way I became a big BMW fan (I also have an e36 M3) - and have worked allot of BMW stuff into the Lotus (like the gauge cluster, trip computer etc...)

I am in no rush though - and I keep telling my wife - if I didn't have the Lotus to work on, what would I do? Gamble, drink, smoke and womanize like her friends husbands?

Needless to say - she doesn't complain about the Lotus anymore.

I see what your saying. Im actually looking at other engines now. One that i hadnt even thought of was the Ultima Scorpio engine. 2.9 205bhp standard and since its a cosworth tuned engine there will be plenty of goodies available for it. As far as engines go its a farly good looking one as well and you can pick a whole car up for

There are better power plant options than the Cosworth 2.9 24v V6.

The power output is OK, but hardly spectacular and you could get your 912 to beat that with a few mods and considerably less effort.

The 2 biggest issues are :-

1) Weight

As the engine has a cast iron block it is going to weight a shed load.

The bare engine is 200kg before adding ancillaries such as starter motor, alternator, manifolds etc, by the time that lot is added you are close to 250kg which is nearly double the 912 (at 150kg)

2) Being a 60 degree V6, balancing is a pain.

Due the inherent dynamic imbalance the OEM flywheel/flex plate is balanced as part of the engine, removing it (which you will have to as the 24v V6 was auto only so will come with a flex plate) means you will have to get the engine internals re-balanced with the new flywheel.

All of that effort and for not a lot of power gain/weight increase doesn't make it a particularly good choice.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Oh well not worth it with that one then. Will keep looking. Least im gaining lots by asking about these engines. Rover V8 EFI!!! My friend has one in the garage. ha ha.. Bit of an old school engine so prob not a good way as better to go more modern? for power gains etc

I know I am biased towards BMW - but a 4 cylinder Cossie engine might be worth a look, perhaps a Ford Unit - out of a Focus or something.

From what I understand - they were good engines capable of taking more power and room shouldn't be an issue.

Nor should weight. And - if you wanted later - you could add a turbocharger.

It lease there is a healthy aftermarket for the engine.

It depends what you are after - do you just want to get it on the road, or do you like to tinker and work on things? I have 2 other cars besides the Lotus - so I can tinker to my hearts content (and have years worth of ideas ahead of me)

By the way - whatever you decide - I am glad you rescued that Lotus. These cars are far undervalued and have never gotten the respect they deserve.

If I were ever to get rid of my Lotus, I would replace it with none other than another Lotus (and maybe put in another engine...............hmmmmm - a Mercedes Benz V12 perhaps)

Edited by lotusross

Okay some pictures of my new tanks freshly painted with POR15 only one coat but two on the bottom. Will be getting some oam at the weekend and reinstalling them. Very pleased with them for

Looking great Wayne. Chassis looks like new! How many coats?

The tanks were a bargain too. What is oam?

Where did you get them?

Do you need to get them pressure tested? Noticed a sticker on my current ones saying they had been. Not sure how important this is.

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks Simon. Seems were both working at a good pace!!

Got the tanks off the guy on ebay who was advertising the red shell. He said the shell ws not fire damaged only smoke damaged so would have been fine for reshell.

Put two coats on the chassis so hopefully that will be enoough. Few dull areas when you see it up close but im happy with that.

Sorry ment to say foam. Will pop to get some tomorrow and reline the bottom and top of the tanks. Wondering weather to jusr foam the shelf that the tank sits on in the bottom instead of the bottom of the tank. Need some views on this.

Good effort Wayne,

Its a good place to start and looks like a good job, in next to no time you will have stripped cleaned and rebuild the rear suspension, I look at restorations as a percentage and by pulling everything out and painting it all up it not only looks a hundred times better but gives yourself more encouragement to push on! A good few percent done!

Well done mate and look forward to more updates :)

Regards danny

A

Alan

How old where the tanks from your car. They are in great condition. Such a shame about the car but least you know the bits have gone to a good home!thumbup.gif

Edited by USAndretti42
No need to quote the post that is just in front of yours.