Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
History Lesson for me - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

History Lesson for me

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Could someone please tell me why Lotus changed from the black/grey logo to the green/yellow logo and when? I bought myself a nice set of tyre valve caps from the Elanfactory in Melbourne to replace mine as one is missing, but when I got them, they have the black/grey logo on them. Now call me pedantic, but I have not put them on the car yet as the S4 logo (as everyone knows) is green/yellow.

So what's the history? I wouldn't ask if I could find the Lotus history book in a book store over here, but can't seem to find a book store that even knows where to order it from.

Thanks oh knowledgable ones.

Michael :detective:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What book are you after Micheal, postage probably wouldn't come up cheap as for such a heavy item but we stock plenty of books in the shop here that could be shipped over to you. If you were interested let me know before you order & I'll find the best price postage for you.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/29-cote...;id_category=29

• Gold FFM

Ok. I'm confused now. Bugatti brought back the badge that I have on my S4 in the early nineties, but

quote - Any Lotus street car that was manufactured after 1968,

that is not wearing a black nose badge is pretending to be something that it is not ! - end quote

The badge on the new tyre caps is the - egad! I just checked! It is not a colour scheme that Lotus ever had. It is the same style as the Jim Clark badge but is black on silver. Oh dear, might send them back... :detective:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Bibs, I have told him how incorrect and rubbish that was many years ago. Can't believe it still says that.

In 1984 Lotus was controlled by David Wickens of BCA fame (also JCB and merchant bankers owned a portion). He decided, totally against the wishes of MJK (who was then CEO) to drop the ACBC badge and redesign it to the green one you have posted Without ACBC in the top corner. As you can imagine this totally infuriated MJK but what could he do!

He bided his time. So the hated badge came out in 1984. In 1985 after securing his position at Lotus with deals done with Toyota and GM lurking in the background, run by the then Chairman, and personal friend of MJK, Roger Smith, MJK redesigned the green badge to include the ACBC logo in the top corner.

WW3 broke out and MJK very nearly lost his job. Wickens knew that MJK had coveted the old badge because of it's relationship to Colin Chapman and he saw this as a usurping of his authority. In several heated discussions Wickens fenced with MJK with threat of sacking followed by threat of quitting until Wickens finally backed down.

MJK had his way and the ACBC Oval badge appeared in 1985. The hated Oval non ACBC badge having only been around for 18 months. The beginning of 1986 saw GM finally come on board and within the year MJK was back in the decision making chair and the Oval badge disappeared forever.

So Any car after 1987 should have the Original badge back on (though the colours were a bit more vibrant). As such these original 1984 and 1985 badges are very collectable....I have several as an investment!! :detective:

The black and Silver badge made regular appearances over the years after the death of one person or another. However the statement that any street car manufactured after 1968 without a black nose badge is just plain wrong....wrong wrongity wrong wrong. So sayeth MJK.

I hope that helps answer a few questions Rog

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Rog, did you read this reply? These details were confirmed by MJK just last year.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Who's Rog? Am I missing something?

:)

Thats what I said Michael..... :)