Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS...... - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS......

I've been busy:

shotblasted:

DSC00532.jpg

zinc primed:

DSC00533.jpg

& good old smoothrite:

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

I bought all new bushes, bearings, steering rack so assembly is coming soon, the only thing I need to source is a pair of top ball joints then all running gear will be brand spankers...

• 2 months later...

The engine is now in place. Just a few more bits & bobs like coolant/ brake/ clutch lines before I can start concentrating on the body. It seemed that I was making no progress at all for a while, now things are flying back together.

I'll post some more pictures if anyone is interested.

Also keen for some pics :)

thanx mate

and awesome Job, looks amazing

have completley stripped mine down and seeing if I can recreate the fibre glass parts Im missing to return it to an S1, also nearly finished painting the chassis, then just gotta clean and paint the suspention parts, but coming along nicely so far, will post some pictures when Ive got a restoration thread up for all those that wanna see

regards

Bevan

Looking good :lol:

As I'm a way behind you I'm interested to know what you used to paint the engine and gearbox?

And where did you get your rear brake discs from?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks chaps.

Paul, I've been watching your thread with envy too unworthy.gif

The box has just run of the mill heat resistant paint & heat resitant lacquer I had lying around then baked on with a halogen heater. I can't remember the make (I've ditched the aerosol cans) but I originaly used it on motorbike engine casings & it is very durable. The engine has not been painted just elbow grease. The discs are from SJ Sportscars, not cheap but the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good !

Im glad to see you have loads of + camber as I had, did you change your rear lower link bushes?

Keep the updates coming

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Was the engine a pig to fit in the end? Did we have the gear linkage pivot fitted in the correct orientation in the end?

Err no, it was a puzzle for an hour or so censored.gif

Looking good !

Im glad to see you have loads of + camber as I had, did you change your rear lower link bushes?

Every last bush has been replaced, did you correct your camber or does the body weight improve things?

Yes the body weight helps, time also helps so the weight on the new lower link bushes slowly pulls the centers outwards, and the correct tow in helps, only now after a year is my camber - 1/2 a degree.

When I 1st put the body on and all tow in set, my camber was 0 degrees

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Thanks for sharing that Matt.

I think I may still have to think about shimming the discs if the body doesn't help enough. Not much I can do for now until it's built up to full road weight.

There's about a full days work left in preparing the chassis for the body. I hope to start the shell next month if I can remotivate myself, just been so cold in the garage lately & I've lost the momentum with things.

• 1 month later...

Hi Nice to see it coming along, brings it all back. I think you've made the same mistake I did with the front suspension, the lower bolt needs to go through the lower hole in the suspension arm. The spring will sit correct without them bending.

• 4 months later...

Cheers Carlos, I'll try that.

After a few disasters that life throws at you I am back on track with an update.

Some pictures of the gelcoating I have now started:

On with the gelcoat:

20100614_001.jpg

20100614_002.jpg

Magic dust for the guide & sanding in progress:

20100616_003.jpg

20100616_007.jpg

Light at the end of the tunnel:

20100616_008.jpg

Lets get buffing:

20100727_001.jpg

20100808_001.jpg

20100808_003.jpg

20100808_006.jpg

Much much more sanding & buffing to go but pretty pleased with how things are going again now.

Bravo, Kris!!!! :cheers:

For anyone who wants to restore one of these unique early S1s, I think you are going about it the best way. Nicely done. :respect:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE