Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Life expectancy of a V8tt ? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Life expectancy of a V8tt ?

finnerty

In my hunt for an Esprit, I've come across an "interesting" example. It's a '99 with 57,000 miles on the clock. Believe it or not this car is in fantastic shape --- nicer than several others I've looked at which had far fewer miles. This car has great ownership history and has been very well cared for its entire life ---- all service records documented and present since delivered new.

I can buy the car for a very attractive price (due to the high mileage), and that includes the $3K I've budgeted for the things it will need soon after I buy it --- cam belts, valve adjust, and the usual "while-you're-at-its".

None of this scares me off (maybe it should?!). Compression and leak down tests have been done, and everything is within spec.

But, my concern is even given the great condition, and following completion of the belt service, am I going to be stuck with a Money Pit down the road? Because of the high mileage, is every little (and not so little) thing going to soon fall apart or start to wear out? I mean to say, "How many miles can you expect from a V8tt engine?". How many miles can you rack up before the suspension is shot, etc.????

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of one with high miles? How many miles before one of these cars is "done", and needs a massive rebuild / restoration?

Should I even be considering buying this car?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. I had forgotten you are a Ferrari owner. :wine:

Sarky comments aside, a V8 with 57,000 miles on the odometer, as Graham's picture above shows, should be good for a long time yet. Just make sure the maintenance has been done on schedule and keep doing it and it should give you years of happy motoring.

OF course, there is always the possibility of unexpected nasties when buying a used car so you still need someone who knows these cars to give it a look over.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry198856

Bit of chat here on high mile V8s. I'm sure there was also a survey thread on how long V8 engines needed changing.

Whether or not you should buy it is of course very subjective. If the history is good and there's a wallet full of receipts as you suggest then you can have more confidence. I always wonder how some people have such low mileages on their prestige cars. What's the point in having it?!

Cheers

Tim

...Were all the V8 cars twin turbo?

I actually once heard a Lotus service tech (who used to work an old Maser Biturbo I used to own) in the Northwest, USA refer to the (3) V8 Esprits he currently had in his shop for service as:

1) The "V8tt" --- both turbos were working

2) The "V8t" --- one turbo was not working :wine:

3) The "V8" --- both turbos were in the trash bin :hrhr:;)

So, perhaps the "nickname" of "tt" has subliminally been stuck in my brain :)

Edited by finnerty

• Gold FFM

Let's see now...

1) Don't maintain it = short

2) Thrash it every time you drive it = short

3) Maintain it well, but thrash it every time you drive it = not as short

4) Don't drive it = sits and rots and what's the point?

5) Maintain it well, drive it hard sometimes = good

6) Maintain it well and drive it like a granny = long

7) Maintain it well, drive it well = see comments above

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)