Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Are the later cars as bad as these? - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Are the later cars as bad as these?

BLUETHUNDER

i've always considered the engine position on the TVR to be pretty much 'mid engined', although not as much as the as the Esprit.

The length of the front and engine position, means that both cars (more or less) have the engine and occupants between the front and rear axles, albeit different ways around? In fact the way TVR have got the engine as much inside the axles as they can, and the passengers as far back as they can, must make for a very close weight distribution to the Esprit?

:)

Mid engined is defined as behind the occupants in front of the rear axle. When you're driving hard you want the weight distribution closer to the driven wheels but as close to the middle as you can. TVR's plop the back end out easily as there's not enough weight over the rear of the car when accelerating hard after the apex.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Oooo. Chunky :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Have just tried walking on water as Bibs requested and it is possible.

The water was frozen of course, but I would like to reitterate the point that mine are size 14!

and I am happy to lower the tone of this thread as soon as it looks like getting too serious again.

Twitter @radioRedwards

Wasn't saying TVR's are dog handlers dude, although they do drift like a labrador on Lino, just meant with my comment that they are not as easy to push and then catch when it all goes (in my case usually) disasterously wrong in my case.

PS I actually realy like the styling on the Tuscan on TVR's so its in no way a dislike thing!!!

What was good to note was the initial post wasn't very flattering for Esprits, a car that most members of the forum must like (although I'm sure a few loathe them for moments when bits break), but the reactions have all been non-confrontational, and supportive.

Anyway Mark. I hope you find some quick fixes to thinks like fuel smell, sloppy gear change etc (they can be quick fixes) and it starts to give a better representation of how the Esprit can be.

Andy

Well i have been on the phone to someone tonight who knows a bit about Esprits. I'm taking it down to him on sunday to have a look at some of the issues mentioned.

As i have never driven another,then i dont whats normal and whats not. My feeling is that from what i have experianced then its not.I shall be enjoying some nice roads on the way down. So can give the car a proper workout.

Well. I took the car down to my mates today for him to have a look over the gear linkage and the smell of petrol. Whilst doing so i thought i might as well give the car a good blast on a bit of motorway and some fast A roads.

I took all your advice on footwear and donned a pair of race boots. Pedals were know much easier,and i werent getting caught between the pedals.I wanted to know first off why i thought the front end was a bit light. Approaching a roundabout,i hammered it around and out the other side. Loads of understeer. Me now thinking to myself that there is no way this can be right.

I dived in to the first petrol station i came across and checked tyre pressures. 32 in the fronts!. Took them down to 22 and went back out again. Much,much better.Moving up through the box im becoming more and more impressed by the power delivery from the engine.Its not in the same league as the power from a Cerbera. But it does pack a nice punch when you need it. I am really warming to it now. That Turbo really makes a difference. On arrival at my mates. he noted that the clutch pedal action was on the heavy side and neaded further investigation. He also noticed that 5th wasnt presice when you pushed it in. The smell of petrol he thinks could be related to a breather problem. It was only a short visit. So a more detailed investigation will be carried out next week.

These minor problems became insignificant on the journey home,as i was beginning to have more fun with the car.Comparrison wise. Its not as nice a place to be as the Cerbera. But its something i could definitely live with,and could easily add one to the others i have. Ive included a few interior shots of the car,just to dispel any intial thoughts that it might be a bit ropey......

100_1340.jpg

100_1344.jpg

100_1341.jpg

100_1342.jpg

Now out for some more driving in the morning......thumbs.gif

Edited by BLUETHUNDER

• 2 weeks later...

Breathers are a standard problem throughout the model range.

I had a worn spacer on my gearchange that allowed too much movement and it was simple fix. I know many of us had issues with sloppy or hard to engage gears. A little wear and tear on a car of that age is to be expected. Glad you are warming to it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Amazing how much better this car is to drive with proper footwear, eh? :)

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Soooooo............? Did he go for your knob or not, Bibs?

Just kidding, Mark. Like most, when I first acquired the car ( V8) I found myself sometimes stabbing the edge of the brake pedal as I pushed down the clutch pedal, or trying to brake and accelerate at the same time with the right foot. The footwell is indeed narrow, even on the V8. But one quickly adapts, and it's been quite a while since I've experienced any more foot "miscues." Practice makes perfect!smile.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I noticed on the 3rd photo that you have still got a red plastic clutch hose. Replace that along with checking and adjusting the gear change cable ends and maybe replacing the bearings on the gear change translator and you should see a big imrovement selecting gears. For about 50 quid you might be surprised at the difference. Your intereior looks tidy.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Soooooo............? Did he go for your knob or not, Bibs?

Just kidding, Mark. Like most, when I first acquired the car ( V8) I found myself sometimes stabbing the edge of the brake pedal as I pushed down the clutch pedal, or trying to brake and accelerate at the same time with the right foot. The footwell is indeed narrow, even on the V8. But one quickly adapts, and it's been quite a while since I've experienced any more foot "miscues." Practice makes perfect!smile.gif

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, there's plenty of room around the pedals (for my size 6) :thumbdown:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Gives new meaning to the term "arch enemy," non?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Well the smell of petrol seems to be sorted. Blocked breather. We have played around with the linkages and it seems to be a lot better.Not totally precise. But a lot better than before. Regarding the interior. The previous owner had the seats re-covered last year at a cost of £1600. The smell of leather hits you as soon as you climb in.

Edited by BLUETHUNDER

Nice. So you said this was your brothers car? Are you now the owner?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg