Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The EVORA test drive on the Factory day? - The Lotus Forums 'Factory Frolic' 2009 - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The EVORA test drive on the Factory day?

It's been a week now, and 50 - 100 of us test drove the Evora at the factory day last week. Unless i missed the thread it looks like nobody has any comment to make. No gushing reports or anything, was it just a tick box test drive to you? Were you (like me) happy to drive it but consider it a class and type of car you would not buy? Did you enjoy the test drive? (i did), did you get in the back?, did you get to floor it?, how did it sound to you? how did you find the brakes? acceleration?

Why is there a week of nothing despite so many of us test driving a car that has produced pages and pages of threads and topics on here?

:question:

Was it just one of those things????

:question:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Evora very much. It was something that I want. My testdrive was very careful, I'am not so experienced about rhd car. Only problem in my opinion is limited luggage capasity, even compared with Esprit. We are used to visit food market only one time per week. Thats not a problem with Esprit, but may be problematic with Evora. Also not sure about winter use, no problem driving in slippery but what about snowing.

We (I) have made economical calculations after sunday. Evora is our daily discussion. In my opinion it's possible to buy one, but Sissi think's it not.

My idea is use Evora as daily car and KEEP the Esprit. That makes it difficult because living in this 'tax-loving' country.

Our car tax depends about CO2 emissions. I have checked that tax is 30% (205 g/km) calculated from Evoras Finnish price level. It's impossible to know what is Evoras price level because no dealers here. But looks that Evora is compared Porsche Gayman S and Porsches start price is 94.000 euros. So Evoras car tax will be something like 30.000 euros. Also 22% VAT must be paid, that's calculated from tax-free import price. So the price will be about 100.000 euros!

I got yesterday an e-mail from Lotus Estonia. They said that they have a demo car now. May be that we must visit there asap.

Thats what I want:

Evora 2+2

tech pack

premium pack

bi-xenons

burnt orange

I loved the Evora in almost every way but I missed the boost surge you get with a turbocharger. Pretty nitpicky as I'm sure it has more power & torque at any given RPM than my Elan does, but man, I love that surge. Could we see some forced induction in the Evora's future Lotus? :question:

My other complaint was that I wore absolutely the wrong shoes (i.e. boots) and was anything but smooth on the footwork. But that was my own stupid fault.

- Jay

I enjoyed my little bimble up the road, although I had no chance of keeping up with Louise in the lead car, as she was wheelspinning away from every junction and exploring all of her car's rev range! devil.gifhrhr.gif

I found the cabin to be noisier than expected - just road roar - which, for the type of market it's being aimed at, surprised me.

The brake pedal started to annoy me a bit too. I'm sure it's fine at a bazzillion mph when braking heavily for the next corner, but slowing the car down gently while shuffling forward at a traffic light, it was difficult to modulate the initial bite to prevent your passenger from rocking forward in their seat.

I do like the car and I know Louise loved it, but unfortunately not enough for us to buy one, certainly not at new RRP. Back in 1998 I bought a brand new V8 GT for

Thought it a really superb drive, good comfort level, easy to get in & out of, and felt as nimble as my Elise (but far more practical). Unfortunately even though it may be as good as the Elise in its dynamics, I am able to live with the impracticalities and harshness of the Elise, so am not in a rush to buy a car twice the price (and I do not need a "work" car that I can drive in a suit). I am therefore not in the market for one. Might review again when they bring out a convertible, as I think that might look very sex.

Thought the rear seat a total waste of time, and driving it there did not feel to be seats behind me - Would think it about impossible to communicate with kids back there

Edited by simonb

• Gold FFM

There is an comment on the EVORA, on the test-notes we could point after the 'test-ride'

So for me ,here it is again: gearshift (especially differences between the gearlines/gasses [don't know if this word exist..!?]!) is not defined enough (as usual with so many manual gears + separate reverse position). Pedal orientation compared with steering arrangement (especially in the only available RHD version..) is to much 'out of line'

Can't rule about handling quality in daily life. We get only the license to run out on one motorway exit and back !! Some arrangements inside the cabin are not that *high quality* as you would expect from the price. The lovely brushed aluminum switch-panel does not match up with the bare plastic indicator stalks and stalk-surround on the steering wheel. Some *aluminum-like* elements are just painted plastic, and on one of the cars on display there was the middle arm-rest coming loose after just one day out on display. The upper & lower screws are just not fixed with treat-locker glue i guess, bud I would expect to use that on aluminum alloy/extruded hinges, as the natural oxides on the surface would make problems to get the right grip on the screw otherwise. The 'rear wing' is highly flexible and more 'optical gaged' I guess. It does not hold on for several KG of downforce, as you can bend it just by pointing with one finger on the wing. I could not fit in the rear (as some have seen on the picture..) -OK, to be fair I'm a 105kg/1.90m Ox-type guy. Not the small Lotus factory girl of the Evora advert. Daniel [pumkin999] was a bit disappointed of the ordinary engine-sound, bud i like to have (on an *elegant GT-car*) to have this more smooth an not so noisy engine characteristic. What i really like is the seats. Compared with my Esprit seats (the leather SE-version) those are more comfy, as the headrest is slightly higher and does not punishing me between the shoulder-blades & neck, as it does in my seats. Not sure about the plastic rear-cover of the seats, bud i think the Ladys in the trim shop can add some stuff there to cover the ordinary RECARO parts too !? The trunk format is seriously orientated on the *golf-back* use. Bud that will make it more complex to get one or more ordinary pieces of luggage in there (an normal suit-case for example). Think Lotus will create an additional luggage leather-set with tightening strips perfectly fitted on the rear place (instead of the optional 2+2) in future ? Like it was done in several Ferrari's.. . German cars are not so known for leather work, bud on English & Italian i think you can expect to have those interiors as standard.. . On the press-demonstrator car I was able to see in Dresden (while the Evora was introduced in the German dealership) there was an problem with the line up of the wiring under the dash-panel. Hope this is now sorted out on the production line. Bud the Generator in the engine bay looks still stressed by the water dripping into the engine from the top. Not sure if this will work for long -as there was an similar problem with the arrangement in the MK1 Rover Elise. It is not always good to adopt an Front engine out of an ordinary mass-production car into such an mid-engined car. The body lines are not that bad in real life, as it looked on the first press-documentations. Bud think several of us on the day would like to see the car between Elise & the high-class supercar in the production range with more of the straight & clear lines of the M250 (inside and out). So I'm not totally sure that there isn't a possibility that the smaller capacity M250 gets an reanimation for the market, as the real *middle range* car into the production line. And the EVORA with his 3.5L engine will get an further engineering step to be the serious replacement for the bigger GT class car (or lets name it the *ESPRIT* :question: , you all know what i mean..). That the rear trunk seems to open only by the hand-sender/key sender is also an critical thing. So if it is the only way, please make the buttons on the designer key more easy to identify. The Lotus staff that was my co-pilot knows what i mean... . It is not a problem to use those FORD keys, bud if you make them more 'unique' -they still need to be usable !

If someone (for example Lotus-cars Ltd.) want's to have an deeper and more detailed test. Just call me and get me one of the cars. I will add some real life miles on it and they will get it back in one piece with a full tank of fuel !! :question:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I must say the Evora was great to drive but I agree with Jay, I missed the kick in the back from the turbo. It is a car that is easy to drive which is the point I suppose but somehow felt too easy to drive.

Guess I like the challenge of driving my Esprit.

Much more of a daily driver than any other Lotus I've driven. Niggles were;

Overly sharp brakes at low speeds (Citroen Berlingo van anyone?).

Stalk controls slightly too far from the steering wheel to allow your hands to remain on the wheel whilst flicking the switches on and off with your fingertips (no, I've don't have stubby fingers like a two year old).

Squealing rear brakes.

Noisy differential at low speeds.

Apart from those faults my initial impression that I thought it was a fantastic drive and if I were in the market to spend

• Gold FFM

Hey JB, if i would have nothing to criticize - it would not be an compliment for the car at all.. . :question: It was just the question what we think after the day in the factory & the short test-ride. Some things like the side indicators are funny and look elegant, and the space on the front seats is really good. Bud it should be allowed to mention some things who are obviously an point to look after.. .

Can't help but say that I was left somewhat underwhelmed by the lack of a decent route on the testdrive.

It lasted all of about 10 nano seconds the second half of which we were stuch behind another evora and a landrover...

The opportunity to even put your foot down properly was hampered by the fact that as soon as you pulled onto the dual carriageway and went to overtake you got barked at and informed you were pulling immediately in.

Shit Shit Shit Shit Shit.

Yes I know there were lots of people to get through but the cars were hanging around doing sod all for longer than they were being driven, it just didn't make any sense at all.

The fact that the test drive route was so short and so crap has left me slightly underwhelmed by the car to be honest. That may not be the fault of the car but more so of the time allocated to driving it.

If I'd driven all that way purely to get a good test drive on local Lotus roads I would have been severly sucked off for sure and it could well have been the case as there are no Evora Dealers in Wales at all...

When i did drive it I found that my left leg was constantly bashing against the floating centre console and on using the cutch my kneecap was having a bit of a seeing to for the very same reason.

Why is the clutch rest positioned almost in the passenger footwell?? Its so far over.

I have until this point loved the car and one day wished to order one, I remember Bibs giving me a reality check at the motorshow just as I was wanting to give Lotus a cheque for a deposit. Glad I didn't now, mostly because I couldn't afford it LOL but now because I don't think I want one. Its quite a strange feeling.

Maybe a better/longer/more thought out testdrive, like 'some' had would have left me with a better impression.

For sure, when my Local dealer does sort themselves out and get a demonstrator I won't be bashing their door down for a test drive now, I've lost the bug for it a little. Shame

Overly sharp brakes at low speeds (Citroen Berlingo van anyone?).

Stalk controls slightly too far from the steering wheel to allow your hands to remain on the wheel whilst flicking the switches on and off with your fingertips (no, I've don't have stubby fingers like a two year old).

Squealing rear brakes.

Noisy differential at low speeds.

I also noticed all of these things, maybe we were out in the same car and it had a few issues to sort out.

The noisy gearbox was somewhat strange I thought.

I'm looking forward to a comical review from you Paul, come on don't let us down...!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

I agree with the other posts, there was no time to get a real impression on the carriageway, i never got to use all the gears even!

I noticed the transmission whine, but perhaps as everything else was fairly silent?

The aluminium dash panel - looks OK - but the buttons are non-tactile & no light LED feedback. I went to get out and the buzzer went off for the lights - but I did not know I had turned them on!

The boot is good for keeping things warm (take aways) - so do not put your freezer stuff there (look at the exhaust shield plates from the factory pictures)!

The target price I think is a little too high.

I was wondering especially noting the 'modular' building style of the Evora. Perhaps - as an exclusive to Club members - could Lotus make a 'kit' Evora available cheaper? The main issue would be the 'jig' bonding of the central panels....

[quote name='G

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

• Gold FFM

you know me... :)

Bud just tell us please: 2+2 , or bare 2 seater ?? What would it be .. :whistle:

• Gold FFM

:) hope most of the users still enjoy my worst grammar. And as you can see , if it comes to technical things i tend to think faster ...the problem is in the simultaneously translation in my brain. It goes all :whistle: from time to time !

Still thinking that it is an car the people should be interested in, if none would say what he likes/not likes -that would be the biggest problem for the company. Who would build cars who are not able to sale, as none gets an personal feeling of it !? Mentioning the rumors we read here in Germany, of 14-16 Million GBP on the bad side in last years business lists/balance sheet. Hope the EVORA production will not be the killer for the company !!

Edited by G

[quote name='G

Ciao,

JB

• Gold FFM

OK, you still have the Excel -bud with a EVORA and that optional in the rear you would be able to influence some *additional family* with the Lotus-drug .... . Like the advert picture with those kids in it. That's why i asked :)

[quote name='G

Ciao,

JB

• Gold FFM

with that type of use -you should get an other ELISE instead !? .. :)

And as Guy has pointed out - resale value is much better with the rear seats than without...

How would he know this, they have not sold a car without rear seats new, let alone 2nd hand :)

How would he know this, they have not sold a car without rear seats new, let alone 2nd hand :)

Well, we were chatting about all kind of cars, not just Lotus or Evora... :D

[quote name='G

Ciao,

JB

• Gold FFM
...On the other hand, I want to get rid of the Nimbus of the "Einstiegsmodelle"... :)

:whistle: lets see, maybe there will be an *EVORA-GT* out there in future. With rubber coated dashboard, no aircondition, camera, rear-seats, no navigation & multimedia and other things less. Just like on the Esprit market development/model history. But if you compare that with what was posted in the *Esprit, what would you like to have in..* there will be definitely not other 'basic model' than the Elise.

I'm looking forward to a comical review from you Paul, come on don't let us down...!

TBH i probably will mate, a bit.

The evora was 100% exactly the car i thought it would be. I assume the complete lack of chat about the test drives (until this thread) means it might be similar for others? As you know, i'm not a fan of cars of that class, when you get to Audi and Porsche levels of trim spec and goodies then i'm pretty uninterested.

I can see the point of the evora, if i was given one and told to drive to scotland and back in it then i'm sure i'd enjoy every minute, however that scenario just does not happen to me personally, and while GT market cars are judged on their ability to 'tour europe in comfort', for my own use they have to measure up in price and desirability to the cars that you can't 'cross continents in' as i never will, and if i do then i could always hire something for that one off occasion.

So i can't critisise the Evora because the 'down points' i found (and expected) are an irrelevent because they represent many cars of that class (a class i'm not into). It's quiet and it's got equipment levels that are completely unimportant to me, and i could get the Exige 260 cup (the fastest Exige they currently make) for £15,000 less, and thats exactly what i would do as i don't need the things that would make another man (or woman) go for the Evora.

The single thing i found interesting was the room in the back. I thought it would be a legroom issue, and the 'persons of 5ft maximum' in the design chat had almost slipped my mind. I'm 5ft 6" and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to straighten my neck. They really are genuinely (as they fairly state) for tiny people, which is fine if your mates look like this.

I am sure it will sell well. If i wander around my development (it's not an estate!) then everyone has german saloons or coupe's and those homo erotic jap pickups with names like 'trojan' and 'thruster' written down the side. Stuff like the TT and the Caymen and those other little cars that Merc and BMW make are everywhere, i'd like there to be a british choice for the hugely growing 'recently divorced and life crisis market' as it would take the 'german or nothing' option away and give folk the chance to be individual. There is a big gap for a british car here IMO, peoples driveways have never been more generic than they are now. These people are not out and out Lotus fans, but they will be the biggest market i bet.

Plus i consider that Evora sales are probably the foundation the Esprit will be built on.

:whistle:

Sadly, I would have to part with the Excel and the BMW to finance the Evora. :D

Sell the BMW? Are you mad???

:)