Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
RV8 Twin Turbo S3 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

RV8 Twin Turbo S3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Okay so few updates

Junked the water pump for now and will look at either electric or modifying this one. May cut it down to a much shorter size see how it goes!

Engine appears to have been completely rebuilt but never run so fingers crossed its been done properly.

New clutch was fitted. Removed clutch disc and replaced with Lotus one.

Made MDF adapter plate. All lines up well so hopefully it works!! Input shaft to short so will need to have one made or an extension piece added. Mick at Southern GT advised he can do this for me if i provide the measurements or supply him my engine and box and he will work his magic.

Tomorrow i will cut the final template of the adapter and then it will be off to the machine shop. Planning to have a steel one made to ensure its nice and sturdy.

Pictures hopefully will follow tomorrow.

Given up for the night tonight as things were going wrong ans stressing me out!! Made the adapter template but wanted to make a final one but its kept going wrong, couldnt transfer it onto another peice of wood and get it right!!!

Oh well here is some pictures to show my progress so far.

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

Will have another go at the final template at the weekend. Hopefully i can get it ight this time!!

Hope so as i may be able to get more info?? Also copy of the adapter plate if he has an old sample in tha garage!! Wishfull thinking....

Had another attempt at making the final adapter tonight and have to say im very pleased with the result. All lines up well. Need to fit the gearbox back tomorrow and drill the final two holes at the bottom for the gearbox then it will be off to the machine shop. Been ringing around and hopefully have a place to make it but if anyone knows off someone who can make it for me can they pass the details. The adapter needs to be 25mm thick preferably alluminium. Will post some pictures of the adapter tomorrow.

So were off to the machine shop today to have it made. Hopefully wont take to long to turn it round so i can trial fit the engine for the first time. Adapter will be made from 25mm aluminium.

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

Adapter will be made from 25mm aluminium.

Won't this make the clutch input shaft 25mm too short???

Cheers,

John W

Yes i have spoken to a company who will be making an extension to the shaft i have. I am also going to remove the shaft from the rover box and see what sort of length that is as i may be able to have it re machined to git the lotus box. Think it will be to short though.

Are you having a custom flywheel made? If you are you could include the pilot bearing into the flywheel - like I did.

Has anyone got any more pictures of the Pink Esprit - I would like to see what mods were done to the body.

Hi,

One of the options for airflow could be what im doing at the moment, I have removed the quarter windows and replaced with perspex, also incorparated a clear nasca duct on each side put into the window, the are 12" in lengh by 81/2 in width witha 2" wide opening in height! should let plenty of fresh air in! and hopefully it will all exit the large meshed hole where the number plate used to be. will get some pics soon.

Regards danny

A

Jason,

I am using the original flywheel as this has been done on the other cars i have seen befor with the V8 fitted.

Danny,

I plan to do the same with the windows except i will be mounting the intercoolers directly behind them for the airflow to run straight through via naca ducts.

I have plenty of pics of the pink car i will post them latter

Well the adapter plate is now at the machine shop. Being done by Southern GT40 in Southampton, shuld be bout week or two so plan to carry on cleaning the gearbox and engine till its ready.

Okay i have spoken to the owner and he has given his permission for me to post these pictures. I will add his email details latter as out the office now so dont hav ethem to hand. Also im sure he will be happy with any feedback and to advise the car is also now up for sale.

As you can see a fair amount of engineering has gone into this and im sure it goes well to. Will let you know when i have also been to see the car to get some installation pictures for my project.

Enjoy.

Tim-sLotus001R.jpg

Tim-sLotus002R.jpg

Tim-sLotus003R-1.jpg

Tim-sLotus004R.jpg

Tim-sLotus005R.jpg

Tim-sLotus006R.jpg

Tim-sLotus007R-1.jpg

Tim-sLotus008R.jpg

Tim-sLotus009R.jpg

Tim-sLotus010R.jpg

Tim-sLotus011R.jpg

Tim-sLotus012R.jpg

Tim-sLotus013R.jpg

Tim-sLotus014R.jpg

Tim-sLotus015R.jpg

Yes i have spoken to a company who will be making an extension to the shaft i have. I am also going to remove the shaft from the rover box and see what sort of length that is as i may be able to have it re machined to git the lotus box. Think it will be to short though.

Hi, I have 25 mm longer original Citroen inputshafts if your interested. One piece with the correct splaines.

cheers,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Wayne,

Just to give you an idea of what option you have for the air flow i have fitted out on side at the moment with the naca ducts, and plexi glass in the rear quarters, You can even save the old plastic surround, just need to spray some satin black on few bits and paint the exposed rivets satin black.

Regards danny

A

Cheers for the pics Wayne, my only question is why pink! Some of the mods look alright, the spolier, vents , windows would have to go and defo a colour change and it would be an interesting esprit! Still cant understand why it would be painted pink!... Each to there own though

Regards danny

A

There's a story to it and I'm sure if Cliff knew how to use a computer he'd share it but suffice to stay it started as a bet in a pub over a pint! Notice the black rat on the quarter light, here's the reference on Cliff's later car.

IMG_7650.jpg

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Danny

They look great i think this is deffinattely the route i will be going down. I may even do mine in satin black though and bring the standard ears out slightly more reshaping them so they still run inline with the body. I think you hav ethe right idea tho. How do you find the heating and cooling issues on your car?

Was going to work on the car tonight but i havent been to the gym since i bought it so thought i better try and get some training in as well befor i waste away...After all i have plenty more rusty bolts to remove at the front of the car still!!

Hi Wayne,

The cooling on the car has been fine, but the ears have only just been done, the car on the move the temprature is spot on, a few months ago when static in traffic for long periods the temp would rise slightly but not into the red, once moving it would soon shoot down again, the car if off the road at the moment as the cambelts and tensioners get changed, I have also also took the car been of the road to extend the radiator and make it triple core and add a third slimline spal fan.

The ears to aid removal of engine bay tempratures and will hopefully work well, time will tell as its not that hot this time of year also for looks aswell, Will get a full car picture when the rest of the work is done and its painted.

Regards danny

Wayne put some black tape on the surrounds of the vents and they blend in pretty well! just will have to see what they look like when the paint goes on,

p.s sorry for hi jacking your thread. regards danny

A

No problems Danny it looks great and hey the more information you can find on all these different conversions will aid anyone else who wants to do similar. Nothing like finiding all the answers in one place!!

Look forward to seeing the pictures.