Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
RV8 Twin Turbo S3 - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

RV8 Twin Turbo S3

yes your right it did belong to cliff originally and yes the colour was a bet but if you can't have a bit of fun in life your taking yourself too seriously. I bought the car as a rolling chassis way back in 99 and did the twin turbo conversion it was a stripped out race car then so no wind down windows or should I say electric, the side vents are for air flow for the intercoolers and if your going to have a wing have a big one! In the ten years I've had it it's been to le mans six times so reasonably useable just a bit warm!

Edited by turbotim606

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tim

Great to see you on here. Feel free ti fill this up with any more pictures you have. Shame your not keeping it, is there another project lurking around the corner?

Have found these available through ebay in the US. They also do them with side entrance inlets. They fit straight onto the top of a Holley carb. Not to baddly priced either at $95 so that will go on my build list.

tophat2.jpg

tophat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And here it is a big old chuck of aluminium. Fits great and being that they had a rover bell housing down there they re jigged it to get the holes perfect and they are!!thumbsup.gif Even the dowels are perfect fit...

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

Even started to give the engine a splash of colour. Two coats of halfords high temp and it seems to make the world of difference. Will be doing much more to make it look pretty but its a start.

So plan of action for tomo...... Oh not car need to repair garage roof as its got e few leaks with all this rain were having.

• Gold FFM

I take my hat off to anyone that takes on a project like this being a fitter and machinist myself. Some of the challenges of space, engine mount solutions, adapter plate solutions etc. What I struggle with is why? I am not having a go at anyone here. I bought an esprit because I love several things about it. The look, the fact that it is only 4 cylinders and capable of performance better than a lot of modern cars, the handling etc.

Why do people find it necessary to modify something that is pretty bloody good initially? Is it from a reliability perspective, personalisation? The only things I am thinking of on my car are cosmetic. Door sills, have thrown around the idea of painting the wing or getting another made in carbon fibre to change the look of the profile of the car slightly. Yes the engine parts over here in Aus are expensive, but I don't intend on driving the car so hard that I am going to fail the engine.

Just my thoughts, but hope it all goes well with the conversion.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi Michael

I guess alot comes down o personalisation, reliability and chepness of parts. Also the need to tinker around with things. For me its something different to what i have done befor as its my first engine conversion. I ancied something diffeent and yes i do agree the car was goos as original but why leave it that way when you can make it different. Personnaly i never buy a car for resale value but only personal enjoyment hence the reason why i am not bothered by keeping it original.

I know alot of people have done the Rover conversion befor but then mine will be different from theirs as no conversion is the same. Hopefully when its completed it will be a great looking car with good alround performance and of course cheap parts!!rolleyes.gif

All i needed was an inch and it would have gone in!! My garage roof is to low so i will have to wait till the weekend to get it in there if its not raining. On the plus side the engine and transmission are bolted together and the input shaft seems to be in line. Had a measure up and will have to work out what to do with the front pulley. Either electric water pump and move the pulley in further and run the alternator belt closer or look around for shallow pumps that i can mount in a plate.

Ha ha!!

Problem i have is unless i do it outside im limited on space. I need to lift the engine and bring it in from the side as i push the hoist over. Cant do it any other way while in my garage. If i do it with the door open the the door is in the way as its an up and over door. Didnt think about taking the wheels off so may have a look at that and lower it on jack then up agin once engine is cleared.

Good thinking batman!!

Took your advice Simon but instead of letting the air out the tyres i took the wheels off and lowered the car down on to some blocks. Worked a treat and now its in there!!! Yippee first trial fit and appears good. New gearbox mounts will be here tomorrow so i can bolt it up. Front will need to fabricate them.

Only managed to get some before pictures as was getting on and didn't have time to go back and get camera. Will get some tomorrow.

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

Good effort Wayne,

Its nice when its all sitting in there :animier: Looking at your pics is the oil filter housing not going to cause a problem, or are you going to remote it to somewhere else! Well hope you get the engine mounts sortyed and it all bolted in soon, looking forward to the updates,

Good luck regards danny

A

Hi Danny

I removed the oil filter to get the engine in, its tight but i will have to run a remote filter. Was thinking of fitting it to the bulkhead near the fuel tank, or even re attaching it to the engine somewhere to keep it all compact. Mind you thinking about it i think it would be easier to service if it was on the bulkhead. smile.gif

These are the most exciting pictures so far for me. The engine bay is finnaly starting to look like its new! Have to say what a transformation so far.

From this............

CRIM0037.jpg

To this............

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

As you can see not much room but i have faith that all will be good!

Good job Wayne,

Pics look great, its amazing how you can bring an esprit up to scratch with some chassis paint and satin black on the inner fiberglass, the engine llos tidy in there aswell :animier:

Keep up the good work regards danny

A

Thanks Guys very plaesed with it so far.

Danny as you say they clean up well these engine bays. Also all the wiring has been sorted along the back for the lights and gearbox sensor. Covered in conduit. Should look a very tidy engine compartment when done.thumbsup.gif

Thanks Kris

Decided to have a weekend off from the car and not even last night. The missus actually made a comment last night which was "Nice of you to grace us with your presence tonight" Guess this means i should stay in for a few days!! rolleyes.gif

Anyone know what sort of elevation the engine should have. Obviously the engine is in and now i will be fabricating the front mounts so its in properly but what angle should the engine sit at. Should it be level, should the front of the engine be slightly up or should the engine be down at the front?

Does it matter? Obviously if it is down then my front pulley issue will be resolved. If its level or up im still having to get one fabricated. But whats best?

Hi Wayne,

The engine and gearbox needs to be flat/level, As you are using the origanal gearbox this makes its fairly straighforward as you are fixed for forwards, rewards movement. The wood idea that hilly used is good and will keep the engine still so you can fab your mounts! its does not have to be spot on just do it buy eye, i.e sump clearance to crossover chassis brace!

Also fit your exhaust manifolds to check clearance from the side chassis rails, also get measurments of these to centre the engine!

Hi wayne my reply panel is knackered so can only write a few things at a time, yes engine is better lower but as said you are using same gearbox so limited! Its nice when its all bolted in there firm! Good luck regards danny

A

Thanks Danny. Will have a look. Think its pretty level at the moment. Cant do much with manifolds yet as i dont have any. Will be able to start fabricating and checking things out more when its bolted down.

Nice work :)

Keep them pics comin' . . .

Merry X-Mas

Bj

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Not been out in the garage for few weeks now. Seems man flu with a bit of extra feel like crap!!! has taken its toll on me. Feeling fed up now as want to get out there and fab the front mounts but being christmas i prob wont get a chance. Especially if i dont start getting better..

Managed to get out for a few hours. Started making some templates for the mounts but couldnt get them how i wanted so gave up for the day. Water pump has been modified and now i just need to get someone to weld the end over and then i can finish it off. Will fit an electric inline pump up by the radiator.

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01423.jpg