Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

Rear tyres about to be replaced at 4k miles. Cost just north of £800. That's a pisstake in any language for tyres of this type and size. Cost me less on a gallardo. Dealer tells me the cost lotus charge dealers has gone up. I suggest the price goes down again else I'll be changing all 4 for a more commercially available type next time.

I have to change rear tyres now after just 8000 KM and I will switch to Bridgestone 050. The Pirelli has a fantastic grip but melts like ice in the snow, especially on mountaincurves. So let's see whats going on. The front tyres are still more than 50% comparing the near dead rears. I'll buy them via Internet supplier and a garagefriend will put them on. Costs £ 181.-- per tyre. A.

Just to add my 10 pence worth, If you want like for like replacements, ie Pirelli P-Zero I found them on mytyres (see link) for £212 and then get your friendly tyre fitter to fit them, mine only charges me £10. (Joe, i did post this link on SELOC but you may have not seen it)

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=22963505.110.26807&typ=R-158179&ranzahl=4&Breite=255&Herst=Pirelli&Quer=35&Felge=19&Speed=W&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Edited by JAWS

Rear tyres about to be replaced at 4k miles. Cost just north of £800. That's a pisstake in any language for tyres of this type and size. Cost me less on a gallardo. Dealer tells me the cost lotus charge dealers has gone up. I suggest the price goes down again else I'll be changing all 4 for a more commercially available type next time.

£800 for two tyres!!! Thats just not acceptable IMO. My RRS tyres(huge) were cheaper than that.

Hi thx for replies. Jaws- they are not the standard pzero tyre. They are bespoke to the car ie special compound (see mo1 motif on side) and if I am not mistaken, special tread too. My intention is to replace all 4 next time around with something more sensibly priced. Ie p zero cup as per m3 or Dunlop supersports or similar.

Joe,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have been ripped off. They are a simple off the shelf Pirelli tyre - PIRELLI P ZERO 255/35 ZR19 96Y XL M0. Trust me, I have double and treble checked otherwise i wouldn't have posted the link. You are more than welcome to speak to Lotus Aftersales to verify this.

Curioser and curioser.,thanks again. Ball is back in dealers court. Indeed if they are the same - could another owner do an eyeball check please I am away on hols- then plainly there will be some discussion about the bill!

So at £800 for 4000 miles does that mean that it costs more in tyres (rears only) than it does in petrol ?

Perhaps there should be MPT (Miles per tyre) figure quoted !

News just in. Tyres are on backorder at the factory so I can't get the 'right thing' fitted anyway. handy that. I think the difference here is going to be about the compound choice. Oem is m01compound which I do not think is available from retailers. (jaws the link appreciated and sent to dealer but I think those are m0) More investigation to follow. I think I'd trade a bit of grip for durability at half cost!

As I've mentioned a few times in this thread, unless you're Roger Becker you're not going to notice the difference, normal P-Zero's are more than adequate for normal (and indeed performance) driving. I've spoken to a lot of people who know about these things, more than any of us, and that is their opinion.

Only if you're looking to eek out the final 1% of the cars performance do you need the OEM tyre.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 4 weeks later...

and to conclude - I have had 2 new rears fitted locally and supplied as per mytyres link on here at pretty much half dealer cost. They are exactly the same in every respect - I checked closely.

Thanks to the advice of folks on here that's nearly £400 saved.

and to conclude - I have had 2 new rears fitted locally and supplied as per mytyres link on here at pretty much half dealer cost. They are exactly the same in every respect - I checked closely.

Thanks to the advice of folks on here that's nearly £400 saved.

And I've been ripped off by nearly £400....

Won't happen again, at least!

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody tought about the last Yoko AD08? It's available in the right sizes...

It's not the cheapest, but could be a good one on this car, no?

Myka

Edited by Mykadams

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my rear tyre treads last night and they are sitting at 3.0mm.

I have run them at the correct pressure and check this weekly, not trusting the TPMS on board.

Most of my road use is on trunk roads or motorway with the occasional fast driving on back country roads and definitely no track driving.

Mileage 6,500 in 10 weeks so will have to start looking at replacing very soon cry.gif.

I am in the habit of getting 25-30k miles out of my tyres on the A8 and was spending north of £200 per corner so the price per tyre does not concern me but the frequency at which I will have to replace them on the Evora does. At this rate I will be buying tyres on price rather than replacing like for like.

blackcircles.com have 23 tyres ranging from Budget at £97.33 to Premium at £273.96 fully fitted including VAT. Don't worry I won't be buying budget tyres.

I note in an earlier post on this thread that there is mention of MO in a circle with 1 next to it. I have this on my rear tyres but only MO in a circle on my fronts.

I was speaking to one of the operators at my supplier blackcircles.com where I have a fleet account and he reckons that MO stands for "Mercedes Only". Can anyone believe that?

I also asked him what "Treadwear 220" on the tyre wall meant and he reckons that is the wear rate of the tyre.

Off now to check the other on-line tyre sites for prices.

MO is Mercedes Only, the OEM tyre is a Merc fitment. As I've posted before in this thread, normal P-Zero's without the MO are going to be just as effective on the car and half the price.

The treadwear is a relative indicator, it means that a tyre rated at 200 will last twice as long as a tyre rated at 100 but only half as long as one rated at 400.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 3 weeks later...

So, 7,900 miles out of my rear tyres. thumbdown.gif

Changed this morning and put on Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres £220.98 each fitted through blackcircles.com

I had to knock them down to that price as I was able to find them on mytyres.co.uk so they did a price match.

I will see if these tyres last a bit longer.